Home Sports Talk

Gas shortage and the Alabama-Georgia football game

After effects of Hurricane Ike:

A petroleum executive suggested that the football game between the University of Georgia and University of Alabama should be canceled this weekend because fans could drain all the gas in the Athens area, WSB-TV in Atlanta reported.

"That gas needs to be used for people to go to work, and for people to take care of their families," Tex Pitfield, president and CEO of Saraguay Petroleum in Atlanta, told WGAU radio in Athens. Atlanta gas crunch: 'We've got no supply here'

But representatives of Georgia Gov. Sunny Perdue said he would not consider "a ridiculous idea like this," WSB said. Read WSB's report on what others are saying about gas and the game

Ray Sheffied's gas station had been open 24 hours a day, seven days a week for 13 years. But the streak ended when a lack of supply forced him to close early, WGCL-TV in Atlanta said.

"It's a panic," Sheffield said. "And we are frustrated."

The fuel shortage is really hurting independent gas station owners, WGCL said. Many of those small businesses rely on the income from customers stopping in to buy snacks, drinks and other items with their gas, it added. Read WGCL on how gas stations are hurting around the Southeast

Comments

• That is one of the funniest things I've ever heard image
  • Why is it funny? There is no gas down here. People are stranded, because very few stations are receiving gas and when they do it's a limited supply that's gone in a couple hours. The lines are 50 cars deep if they do have it. Don't laugh until you experience it yourself.

• << <i>Why is it funny? There is no gas down here. . >>

The house was absolutely packed. Just as I and everyone else expected. A gas crisis down south
    does not stop college football. As Reggie White said, it's God, family, and football down south. Gas problems
    do not interfere with the Big 3.

• << <i>Why is it funny? There is no gas down here. People are stranded, because very few stations are receiving gas and when they do it's a limited supply that's gone in a couple hours. The lines are 50 cars deep if they do have it. Don't laugh until you experience it yourself. >>

I hear the shortage could last for another 2-4 weeks, not a good situation and they are talking about possibly closing schools until
    the shortage eases.
  • Yep, the people who live by those words are the ones complaining that the gas pumps are empty and they can't get home.
  • MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I live in Atlanta. I can assure you, the gas problem is very, very real. Fortunately for me, a BP not far from home had just gotten a shipment and I was able to fill up to the tune of $4.19 a gallon.

The situation in Athens was not a laughable one. The problem was not necessarily the Bulldog fans, but for the Bama fans. Birmingham, AL is about 150 miles away, and add about another 30 miles to Tuscaloosa. If only 2 out of 10 gas stations have gas, the problem is multiplied in an exponential fashion. Those that did not fill up prior to getting to Georgia were in for a rude awakening as the situation was truly a nightmare for many. While the calls to postpone the game seemed ludicrous, the bottom line attempt was to avoid a horrific problem for tens of thousands of fans.

Gotta tell ya, it is weird to go to gas stations and see baggies over the pumps, along with signs that say "no gas". It's sorta like looking at hurricane victims, or those without power for days and thanking God you're not one of them...that is until YOU are personally at ground zero in a serious situation. Never laugh at those less fortunate than you, your time could come, and it ain't funny!!!

• I wasn't laughing at the seriousness of the situation. Just imagine if a woman didn't have enough gas to get to the pharmacy
    to get the medicine she needed for her child.

What was funny about it was trying to convince all those phanatical fans to stay home. It just wasn't going to happen.