Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

new pennies

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26843518/

maybe i am behind the times, but this link shows that the new pennies will come in four varities. hope i am not insulting anyone's intelligence, but i keep up with pres. dollars, and rarely check things like pennies.
ryan
LIVE WORTHILY, LOVE DEEPLY, AND DIE WITH STRENGTH AND HONOR

Comments

• ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of us here like our pennies old, senile, pockmarked and changing color image

• the article says what the four pennies look like.
    how many of these will we need to buy now to keep up? are we going to have as many types as the first president year? any news is appreciated, even if it is speculative on the part of yall professionals.

The first new design will depict a log cabin, representing the place in Kentucky where Lincoln was born in 1809.

The second design will feature a young Lincoln taking a break from working as a rail splitter in Indiana by reading a book. Lincoln as a young lawyer standing in front of the old state capitol building in Springfield, Ill., will be the design on the third coin.

The final coin in the series will show the half-completed Capitol dome, evoking Lincoln’s famous order that construction of the Capitol should continue during the Civil War as a symbol that the Union would continue.

The first new penny is scheduled to go into circulation starting on Feb. 12, Lincoln’s birthday, and then every three months after that.

The changing designs mark another effort by the Mint to duplicate the success of the 50-state quarter program, the most popular coin collecting program in U.S. history. The nickel also had changing designs to commemorate the 200th anniversary of the Lewis and Clark expedition and the Mint has embarked on an effort to revive interest in a $1 coin by introducing four new designs each year honoring a different president.

Under the law that authorized the design changes for the Lincoln penny, after 2009 the “tails” side of the coin will be changed to feature “an image emblematic of President Lincoln’s preservation of the United States as a single and united country.” That image has not been chosen yet.

LIVE WORTHILY, LOVE DEEPLY, AND DIE WITH STRENGTH AND HONOR
    Oh they did select the 2010 design

here it is

• SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup.

But you gotta admit, designing something "emblematic of how Lincoln held together the Union", thats a pretty tough nut to crack.

I'd like to see them revert back to the Wheat ear reverse, as Brenner intended. Simple, art deco, and to the point. Why do our coins today need to convey a message?

My design, however poor artistically, and probably not politically correct, indeed shows this.

Lincoln died April 15, 1865. There were still active Confederate forces in the field, and battles were fought after this date. Jefferson Davis was still a free man, and travelling south, where he hoped to eventually cross the Mississippi River and continue the War. No peace treaty had been signed, and aside from the surrender of Robert E. Lee and the Army of Northern Virginia.....nothing had been offical in the way of a complete Southern surrender.

Lincolns greatest achievement was putting complete trust in U.S. Grant. Grants greatest achievement was putting complete trust in W.T. Sherman.

The individual MOST responsible for the Union victory in the Civil War, in my opinion, was British actress Fanny Kemble, who wrote a scathing journal about her years on a Georgia Plantation. Written in 1839, it was not published until 1863. Queen Victoria, who know Kemble personally, read this book and changed her view on the Southern system of life. She did not extend recognition to the Confederacy as a "Nation in Belligerence", which would have, if it were granted, enabled the British Navy to engage the Union Blockade Fleet and deliver massive amounts of arms and support to the southern states. THAT, very well may have changed the outcome of the war.