Home Sports Talk
Options

Steve Young and ESPN/MNF

Anyone notice how Steve Young has taken a much larger role with ESPN this year? Like last year, he more shared the MNF pregame thing, but now he more leads it, plus they all ask him the questions, as if he is the local expert....which I suppose with the current cast he is, but still. Even being a Young fan....it is a little too much, or more so, it doesn't seem to fit right.

I do think he does fine in the announcer position, as most long career quarterback are (other then Bradshaw...but at least he is entertaining...and FOX doesn't really need 6-7 serious guys) but I think they need to pair him with another HOF player or the like. Last year, it was Emmitt Smith, but they didn't seem to click, and Emmitt took a back seat to Young most of the time it seemed. So I don't know, maybe Young needs moved to the actual game, perhaps in place of Tony Kornheiser, or they need to find someone better to team him with.

What do you guys think?

Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.

Comments

• Options
    ESPN was not happy with Emmit Smith's performance last year so he was demoted to another lesser position with MNF. Young seems to
    know his stuff but maybe another person along side him would be a good thing.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    It seems to me that Young and Smith don't really get along that great.

Everytime they are on Camera together there seems to be some type of awkwardness between them. Whether it's just a look or something they say, it's always there.

I loved Emmitt's career but the tv gig needs alot of improvement. He was a smart player and is game knowledgeable. He just seems like he is trying way too hard to speak clearly and it's painful to watch.