Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

MPL Posse strikes again, another ebay listing pulled

The MPL posse strikes again. The 1916 "BU Matte Proof" listing has been pulled from ebay. I was in communication with the seller, sent him various links and info regarding diagnostics, and the most helpful edge on view that Brian had posted. The seller seemed like an allright guy, and didn't want to misrepresent the coin. He done the right thing. Keeping your 100% positive feedback is a great incentive to not sell 'Phunny matties".

Vigilance is a good thing.

Comments

• renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You and I must have been giving... uh... her? a hard time. Said she bought the coin at of all places, a police auction.

Check this out:
    -------------------
    hello, can you have him look at the pictures. If he thinks (85%) that it is rare. I will have the send it to pcgs to be certified. I looked at some matte 1909 pennies online and mine looks just like them. I don;t believe I got lucky on purchasing this coin. I am afraid to get my hopes up.
    Janice
    Thanks
    -------------------
    And later:
    -------------------
    Thank you so much for the advice. I spent tonight going through my things trying to find out where I had purchased the coin. It was at a local police auction. I am going to take your advice. Thanks again
    -------------------

A POLICE AUCTION??? Well, I've heard a lot of things, but never that. I guess I'll have to be on the lookout for local rare coin offerings at the police station from now on.
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, you know, these things confuse the experts...so to get a regular citizen to figure it all out.............

some day *SOME DAY** a VDB mattie is going to show up, pulled out some old whitman or found at a "police auction" and we will be all over it like a fly on &^%$
  • WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    so to get a regular citizen to figure it all out.............

We have the Posse! Taking on the bad guys and helping the innocent!

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
    Just got a follow up e-mail on the pulled 1916. This is what she said:
    --------------------------------
    hello, I had the Heritage auction people take a good look at the coin. Before it was over there were 5 people looking at the coin. They pulled picture after picture for comparison. There is not question my coin has the rim of the matte proofs, and the strike, they just aren't sure about the other clue. There should be a die error. They said the coin ahd been cleaned so I couldn't send it to PCGS but they suggested I send it to ANAC. Do you think it would be worth the time since it has been cleaned?
    --------------------------------
    Any ideas?
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,549 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Slabbed is always better.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

Well. the seller is at least going about it the right way. Let them see what ANACS has to say. Like I said....these things confuse even the experts.

QDB does mention one matte in particular with unquestioned provenance as a proof that had no die markers. So, I suppose there could be some 1916s that don't show the diagnostics....but getting it certified just on the basis or the rims, that would mean a TPG would be really sticking their neck out. Without the slab, without the diagnostics.....its just a cleaned biz strike.

The drama continues..............
    1916 (and 1917's) have some of the best and Last well struck cents. My guess, that is what it is, a well struck 1916. Too bad it was #$%^&* cleaned.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
    It takes looking at quite a few mattes, of different years, to get an eye for what the granularity needs to look like. 1916's have a very granular surface, and that was not apparant on the images that were posted. If indeed he (she) had the coin looked at by folks at Heritage, I'm surprised there was no reference to the surfaces, only the rims.

This is probably another coin story which will just fade away, since revealing bad news isn't as nice as revealing good news.
    MOST EXCITING NEWS!

And I quote: "Oh I am so very excited!!! I just spoke to ANAC. They are shipping it back today. It was graded MS63 Matte proof."

And later: "oh yeah, it has not been cleaned!!! I am so happy!!! imagine, MS63 matte proof"

All that from a police auction. Will follow up with more info later.

-Matt
    Again, the Posse has done an excellent job in educating and not just condemning. Best of all, WE get another Matte saved and soon to be in some deserving collectors hand while the owner soon gets few more dollars for their effort. Nice Job!

WS
    Thats an amazing call. I never would have thought it. Without that main diagnostic visible...and yet it gets certified.

I do wonder about all this though....Certified "MS"? Dosent ANACS use "PF"??????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I thnk I'm officially quitting the "making a call based on photos" gang.

Anyway...another certified 16 something.
    Maybe I spoke to soon. Anyway to confirm its a Proof vs Mint State or was that just a typo?

WS
  • SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    For what it is worth, I just checked the ANACS pop report for 1916 MPL's. Under PR63 they STILL list 4 BN, 3 RB, and 1 RD for a total of 8 MPL's in PR63. My last worksheet was prepared on March 18th, 2008. In TOTAL PR 1916's they have actually reduced the number by 1 brown to a total of 46 from 47. Possible label return? Of course, it is also possible they haven't updated the online report yet. It would be nice if Matt could get a cert # from the submitter. Steveimage

UPDATE! Sorry guys. Mistook Matt's post for ambro.
    Still trying to get more information from her. And my guess is that either our cumulative legs are being pulled, or she actually is clueless about the difference between MS and PF, hence everything is MS.

Sent this morning:

Can you give me a little more information on your recent discovery coin? How about a certification number? Plus, your use of the MS prefix suggests a Mint State coin, not a PF (proof). I’m guessing just a typo. I do that all the time. Lastly, is there a color designation, like BN, RB, or RD?

-Matt
    ***UPDATE***
    Just received by e-mail -
    ------------------------------
    I should have the coin back tomorrow, but I may not be able to pick it up from the post office until Saturday. I had called ANAC to get the status and she read it to me off of an invoice. It had already been mailed back. I will let you know and send pictures.
    Janice
    ------------------------------

She mentioned offering it to me, but we'll see how that pans out. I would probably just try and cross it at any grade level. PR63 is usually a pretty safe bet.