Home Sports Talk

A great day for a Minnesotan...

After the Twins won the 1st 2 vs the White Sox, once AGAIN they are right there. For those of you that don't pay attention to the AL Central, the White Sox have had a lead in the division all year, and the Twins have been right on their heels all year. They have tied them for the lead I think 2 times this year, but quickly have dropped back to 1-2 games back. I think there was a day they had a .5 lead last month.

Anyways, at about 5:30 the White Sox were up 6-1, I had planned to go to my deer stand behind my land regardless of the score (Hey I gotta eat right). So after harvesting my first archery doe (42 yards, double lunger, thank you), I came in to hang the deer only to see Go-Go come in to tie the game at 6, then of course seen Alexi win the game in the 10th!

The Twins are everything that is right about baseball, regardless of if they can win the division this year or not, they have a bright future. They are a very young team, all the starters are under 26. I still miss Garza, but we are looking good.

Am I speaking Chinese?

Comments

• Congrats on the doe, **** the Twinkies image
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I flipped channels between the Twins-Sox, Mets-Cubs, and USC-OSU games...great sports treat yesterday. Twins are in great position to take the Central as all they need do is whip the Royals three straight...and let the Sox lose at least one.
  • A few years ago the Royals helped us reach the playoffs, I expect some tight games.
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• I am totally in awe of the Minnesota Twins organization. They are just amazing in their ability to develop good players and have
    good teams year after year. image
  • joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Not that Im a big twinky fan, but I hate Guillen with a passion. Go Twins!

(now the vikes...they are a sham! LOL)

JS
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am totally in awe of the Minnesota Twins organization. They are just amazing in their ability to develop good players and have
    good teams year after year. image >>

And to think Selig wanted to "contract" the team a few years ago.
  • DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats dabeef. I'm a Royals fan, but I just find it hard to dislike the Twins for some reason. Hate the White Sox, so I hope the Twins win the division but still lose two of three to the Royals.
    The Royals have been playing very well in September and aren't even in last place anymore. image
    DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭
    I can't stand watching the Twins play at home. The whole dome thing puts me to sleep.
  • kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭
    As much as I'd love to see the Royals keep winning, I'd be happier if they laid down for the Twinkies so Ozzie can watch the playoffs from home.

Besides, it's not like losing a couple more games is really going to re-define the Royals' season.
    Travis
  • The Twins make me proud to be a Minnesotan!!!
  • alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    I hope the twins win also....I'm an Indians fan and agree with those who dislike the Sox...any kind of sox, red, white, whatever!!!! only bad news I can provide is that Cliff Lee was supposed to start the last game of the year for the Indians but in today's Plain Dealer there is talk they may shut him down due to injury....I hope they don't because he has a chance to tie the Indians team record for wins by a lefty.....it's been around for a long time without anyone coming close....
  • Hope the Twins win out and leave Ozzie and Company in the dust. Should make for a very entertaining off season!

Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • estangestang Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭
    Win Twins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you were at the dome this weekend, you would not be put to sleep, you'd be asking for ear plugs...

When the dome is rockin' for Vikings playoff or big Twins games, the energy is more electric than anyplace you'll be...However, when it is not...it sux.
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • The Royals rocked Liriano yesterday. I hope the Royals can compete one of these years actually I'm sick of the tight races with the White Sox! Thakflly the Indians were on fire and beat the Sox too. Still a huge downer after smoking the Sox, but the Twins always have a tough time with the Royals...
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's two straight for the Royals over the Twins. Meche wins his 14th game of the year.
    At least your Twins don't have to face Zach Grienke tomorrow, he was scratched as the starter.
    DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • This was a great last weekend throughout baseball, half of MN will not work on Monday to watch the white sox & Tigers play. The Twins put the Tigers in a must win situation in 2006 and we rely on them to beat the Sox on Monday. If the Tigers win they will not finish in last place as they are only 1/2 a game behind KC for last place. That is awesome. I bet the Twins come through this alive. I hope they do

Mauer should get another batting title, Morneau has a great chance of receiving the MVP. Mauer gets on base and Morneau hits him in. and the twins insert five "faster" guys to get around in the #7, 8, 9, 1, and 2(sometimes 3) spots in the order the base path anyway that they can. and add two "harder" hitting guys and you have yourself a great team. year after year the Twins apply some hit and run "small ball" baseball and win a division.

great season! image

and go tigers imageimage
  • VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭
    I'm a Twins fan but they shouldn't have put themselves in this situation in the first place.
  • Its been this way all year, they fight to get to first but cant shut the door. They were not even expected to be in the hunt, so you HAVE to be happy in the long run. I hope Freddy Garcia is pumped up against his old mates. Whatever happens, it was a great year for the Twinkies. A great young pitching staff with 2 of the best hitters in baseball.

Go Twins!
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    White Sox won so it is one game for all the marbles tomorrow.

Good luck to both teams fans.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Ozzie didnt give Nick Blackburn any respect in their last meeting, even though the Twins won. Thanks Ozzie! Twins will shut the Sox down today! image
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    What are you delusional, every thing right about baseball? You gotta be kidding. Worst park to play in the majors, its a joke. Draft great players and milk them till they become expensive and then dump them. I have to tell ya if I was a Twins fan I'd be disgusted. The organization is only willing to go 75% of the way yet that's all they have to do with delusional fans like yourself. Its time someone told the Twins fans the way it really is.
  • Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tough game today.

I've always liked the Twins; that's a darn good organization. I'm sorry they lost today, but good luck to Griffey Junior.

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • If they are such a good organizatin, then why were they so dumb on sticking with Livan Hernanez when Liriano was all ready to go?

Either they stuck with him because they were stupid in thinking he 'knew how to win', or they stuck with him for financial reasons. Whichever is true(and it is a bit of both), means all of their managment needs to be fired. It cost them the division.
  • Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Time for your meds, Hoop....

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • No meds needed, many beers do the trick.

IrishMike was right on. The Livan/Liriano fiasco is a perfect example, and one that cost them dearly.
  • sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    The Livan/Liriano thing was painful, but not nearly as painful as flat out giving away your last year of Johan Santana. He was under contract and they didn't even wait to see if the club was going to be decent before shipping him off for garbage.

Taking another no power, no plate discipline donkey for Garza and throwing in a real shortstop as a box topper was completely idiotic as well. Despite it all it came down to winning two of three vs. the f'n Royals. Massive fail. I'll hate these guys again until April.
  • Sagard,

It is a shame, because they have some nice players too.

You are right about Johan...it would have been a cake walk with him. Carlos Gomez and his .297 OB%, ouch!
  • recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭

<< <i>.... They were not even expected to be in the hunt, so you HAVE to be happy in the long run.... >>

This is the BS cop out that Smith used last winter. The fact about the AL Central is you don't know who is going to be good until the games start getting played.

We could easily have been in the playoffs with Johan vs. a field not including the **** Yankees.

• Great game, the best team won. Thome is the man.
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Yeah that was a great game.

Steve
    Good for you.
    As a little leaguer I remember fondly trips to old Comiskey park on little league day. They would bus us up the 100 plus miles and invariably the game would be against the Twins. Imagine if current ownership was in place then. Would I have gotten the chance to see Harmon Killebrew, Tony Oliva, Rod Carew or Earl Battey play? Probably not and that is my point. To me its sad as a baseball fan to see such a historic franchise peddle players over profit rather than winning it for their fans. I am tired of the excuses the small market teams like Minnesota use and more tired of fans accepting and rationalizing dumping star players because of salary issues. Either sign these players early long term of find an owner with deep pockets. You guys deserve better. Great season and game btw. image

For example the Sox got rid of 3 quarters of their 2005 world series starting pitching staff and are back in the playoffs. The jettisoned Maggilio the year before and Frank Thomas in 06 and are back. There are ways to do this so quit already with the small market excuses. There is NO right way, there is winning period.
  • colebearcolebear Posts: 886 ✭✭
    Delusional, that's funny

Isn't it also funny how the cretins come in with their advice on how to run a baseball team after the team loses.

<< <i>Delusional, that's funny

Isn't it also funny how the cretins come in with their advice on how to run a baseball team after the team loses. >>

Not sure what your point is as I am not a Twins fan but Chisox and Cubs and a baseball fan since the early 50's. As a baseball fan regardless of which team one is talking about I am just tired of hearing that small market teams have to jettison big money stars. If that strikes you funny then so be it. My delusional comments was in regards to the Twins doing it the right way. If you disagree with that, well that's ok with me as we are all entitled to our thoughts. However I suggest you go read some comments on various message boards that Twin fans have posted. I think you will find many that are tired of that excuse, i.e. we have to trade player X because we can't afford them. This is 2008 not 1950 and if you can't afford to own a team and compete find an owner that will. Twins fans have shown that they will be loyal and pay to see their team. It's a shame to watch a kid grow up in your organization, prosper, do well and then have the owner tell the fans they can't afford him.

If you want to disagree with that, then so be it. But any one who thinks that is the way it should be or that the Twins did it the right way is deluding themselves.
    The Twins do a lot of things the "right" way, but they also make major blunders that cost them opportunities to advance.

This offseason Bill Smith gave up on the season before the first pitch was thrown. He thought Cleveland and Detroit were locks to be 90+ game winners. He traded away Santana for Gomez and two guys who won't ever contribute. Gomez could easily be in Triple A next year if the Twins don't find a way to move a horrible contract in Cudyer.

People asked the question in the offseason: Should they just let Santana walk or take less at the trading deadline?

The answer was should have been YES. Keep Santana until you are out of contention. Then acquire Gomez at that point if you must. Or if you are decent, keep him and try to f'n win. Knowing you will get two draft picks as compensation, both of which could have ended up as good or better than Gomez. I don't even want to get started on the trade with the Rays. Needless to say it was a big reason the Rays are in the postseason and the Twins are not. This is the AJ Pierzynski trade coming back at us in spades. The Twins won 96 games two years ago and Torii's offensive contributions (low OBP) were obviously replaceable.

On the other hand the Twins consistantly bring up guys who know how to pitch. Now with Casilla and Span showing promise to go with Mauer and Morneau, they have a decent core to work with. They need to spend some money on a DH. That has been ownership/managements biggest failure to date.

As for their future being bright, I'm not so sure. I'm very worried that Casilla/Span/Gomez/Young all had career years. The Twins had incredible clutch hitting this year, that is not a way to build consistant offense. Cleveland and Detroit won't suck forever. This was a major opportunity lost.
  • colebearcolebear Posts: 886 ✭✭
    Did you say can not compete, the Twins did quite well

As far as Santana, I personally think that they should have taken the Boston as he did not want the Twins $80 million/4-year deal. The Tampa deal might work out but I did not like Garza leaving for Young. Bartlett I did not mind leaving because the Twins have plenty of players in the middle infield.

I believe that Terry Ryan should have stayed on until the Santana deal was complete and then handed it over to Bill Smith, but I will trust that Bill learned his lesson. You also have to give credit to the twins for giving long term contracts to Nathan, Mauer, and Morneau. H

Hunter leaving was in the works for a while, since he tried punching Morneau in 2005. I thought the Twins would have traded him after the end of that season, but they seemed to work it out. But Torii decided to go somewhere else a long time ago.

Silva well enough said

<< <i>

<< <i>Delusional, that's funny

Isn't it also funny how the cretins come in with their advice on how to run a baseball team after the team loses. >>

Not sure what your point is as I am not a Twins fan but Chisox and Cubs and a baseball fan since the early 50's. As a baseball fan regardless of which team one is talking about I am just tired of hearing that small market teams have to jettison big money stars. If that strikes you funny then so be it. My delusional comments was in regards to the Twins doing it the right way. If you disagree with that, well that's ok with me as we are all entitled to our thoughts. However I suggest you go read some comments on various message boards that Twin fans have posted. I think you will find many that are tired of that excuse, i.e. we have to trade player X because we can't afford them. This is 2008 not 1950 and if you can't afford to own a team and compete find an owner that will. Twins fans have shown that they will be loyal and pay to see their team. It's a shame to watch a kid grow up in your organization, prosper, do well and then have the owner tell the fans they can't afford him.

If you want to disagree with that, then so be it. But any one who thinks that is the way it should be or that the Twins did it the right way is deluding themselves. >>