Home Sports Talk
Options

How about those USC Trojans

#1 Team in the land says the brilliant pollsters.

They get beat by a team that Penn State destroys. I know, I know, it's hard to win on the road in the Pac-10...
Just ask Georgia, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and UNLV. image

Isn't this the same team that lost to a 40 point underdog AT HOME last year image

I think America's love affair with this phony needs to end now.

Comments

• Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    i concur!!!!

well said
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think America's love affair with this phony needs to end now. >>

I'm not a USC fan at all, but it's a little early in the season to say that about USC or any of the top teams. Yes they lost a game they shouldn't have lost, but I don't think only 1 game should really affect a teams chance of not winning a championship,

Here is the problem we have in college football and everyone knows it...IT's called BCS....You will always have a few teams that should have been in the BCS Champion game and you will always have a possibly better team that's left out of the game, and of course their is always an East Coast bias because of networks like ESPN. Until anything changes or we get some type of a playoff system, we'll always have legitimate reasons why a team shouldn't or should be the #1 team. It's also not fair to the teams because you are forced to win the championship game and hopefuly be the only undefeated team left to be the Real Champions. Crazy!

Look at MLB, NBA, and especially the NFL....the team with the best record doesn't always win the champion.

Brian
  • Options
    Don't bash the BCS for this one!

We would have people complaining just as much with a playoff system. If you had an eight team playoff, the ninth ranked team left out would be complaining. If the #1 seed got beat in the first round by the #8 seed, the fans of the #1 seed would be complaining, because they think they're a better team overall and one game wouldn't change it.

Then you would have the whole conference conflict. What if #2 and #7 were from the same conference and just played each other in the conference championship? One would be complaining because they just beat the other and now they have to do it again. If they lose, they'll be complaining because they had just beaten them a week before.

How would you determine the final rankings even with a playoff? What if a team was ranked #1 all year and just happens to get beat in the first round to the #8 team......are they then ranked as the #8 team in the nation in the final polls? Maybe you put them at the highest rank of all the losing teams in the first round, which would be #5 in the nation, because they were originally higher than the other three losing teams in the first round.

Then you have the complaints, because some teams will have played an extra conference championship game. Where are the games going to be played? I think we're fine where we are right now. There will be different arguments with a playoff system. Instead of changing the whole system, how about the NCAA and the schools making changes to scheduling. How about each team being required a mandatory challenge game each season from another BCS conference. Make Georgia travel to Wisconsin or USC come to Florida or Texas play Clemson during the season.

• Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

<< <i> Don't bash the BCS for this one!
    >>

I'm not bashing the BCS for USC losing a game they should have handled and USC all knew that 1 loss to a non rated team probably kills their shot at a championship game.

Let me rephrase what I said. In the most part, I feel the BCS games have worked out in the past for the most part and whoever win or wins, they did all they could do. I was just stating that there will always be a team at the end of the year that feels they should have been in the championship game and could have won. I was also stating that it's really a bummer that you play a whole season and everything is depending on what you did earlier or in the regular season. Either way, USC should have taken care of business and not lost.

Also, I agree with your thoughts on what if during a playoff and I totally understand. I was basically saying it would be nice to have a playoff system so there are no doubts about who the #1 team really is. Plus no one could complain.

On the other side of the fence which is a good point...We have a BCS system and that means every game is really a playoff game, right? Well that just makes every game that much more exciting.

Brian