Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Goetz medals

Here's my first Goetz medal image. My collection is nothing like cacheman's stash (and never will be), but since I find
Goetz's work so amazing I just had to own a few. I'll post more of my acquisitions in this thread as time goes on.

Kienast 318 -- 117mm

Comments

• Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Love it!!image
    Becky
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    very nice medal!!! -Dan
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Great medal - he had amazing talent.
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    I must admit that I do not know much about Goetz.... who funded most of his work? Who issued medals such as this example?
  • Options
    The glass is half full!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah, yes. The lightning-sneezing horse. A handsome one, that.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

<< <i>Ah, yes. The lightning-sneezing horse. A handsome one, that. >>

LOL. I like to call this one the Power Company Dude.
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a very nice start to a Karl Goetz medal collection, that is a very lovely piece, with such emotion, and fluid design. The equine on the reverse is stunning too.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    Kienast 294 -- 60mm
  • Options
    Kienast 482 -- 36mm -- 'white metal'
  • Options
    Kienast 280 -- 60mm
  • Options
    Kienast 300 -- 36mm
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭

<< <i>image
    Kienast 294 -- 60mm >>

These images are disturbing to me. A baby and a fat leech? A leprechaun press? Can anyone indicate what these medals were for, as I don't want to let my imagination run too wild here.

I passed on a Goetz medal today. I believe it had a reverse of a 'strangulation'. Unfortunately, I felt that it had high points with a distracting shiny rub, so I passed.

But I don't think i've ever seen a series that is so consistently unique, odd and frightening!

• Options

<< <i>
    These images are disturbing to me. A baby and a fat leech? A leprechaun press? Can anyone indicate what these medals were for, as I don't want to let my imagination run too wild here. >>

This one translated is called "Bloodsucker on the Rhine". Admittedly I have no clue what
    political statement this piece is conveying, but one would guess that it's about some
    joe six pack dude going broke because of The Man.

I like Goetz's 'weird' work the most. His commemorative pieces are pretty, but the political
    satire/propaganda medals are what makes his work unique IMHO.

Maybe cacheman can chime in on this. He's the Goetz guru.

• Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭
    BLOODSUCKER ON THE RHINE (Blutsauger am Rhein).

Lampooning the harsh conditions of the reparation terms. The last penny is squeezed out of the German Michel lying under a huge screw press being turned by two representative french soldiers (heads). On May 6, 1921 the London ultimatum reduced the total reparations payments to 33 billion dollars, with the immediate payment of 1 Billion Gold Marks. The German government accepts this ultimatum to avoid the occupation of the Ruhr territory. In November
    1922 Germany asks for a freeze of the payments for 3 or 4 years to stabilize the Mark and help revive German industry and trade. This request was refused. The December 1922 conference of the Reparations commission realized that the German Government was bankrupt. In January 1923 one American dollar would buy 10,000 marks and not the usual four German marks. This was the atmosphere in which Goetz created this medal called "Bloodsucker." The baby represents the future children who will still be paying for these reparations far into the future.

Inscription on reverse "Boches (a French cuss-word for "Germans" with the closest equivalent being "krauts") squeezed dry' 1923."

This medal seems timeless as it could actually be used to show the current happenings here in the U.S. today. All you have to do is swap out the Corporate banks for the French and a U.S. citizen for the German Michel and, voilà, you have a propaganda medal against Wall Street. image

PS. HD, your medals and imagery are very nice!
  • Options

<< <i> This medal seems timeless as it could actually be used to show the current happenings here in the U.S. today. All you have to do is swap out the Corporate banks for the French and a U.S. citizen for the German Michel and, voilˆ, you have a propaganda medal against Wall Street. image >>

That's what I was thinking too. I would replace the two soldiers' heads with Bernanke and Paulson.

<< <i>PS. HD, your medals and imagery are very nice! >>

Thanks, man! That's high praise coming from a collector like you.
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    Fascinating stuff. I will have to keep an eye out for this unique artwork. However, I must be careful. Some of these coins are capable of giving me Eraserhead-esque nightmares.

Thanks so much for the information!

• Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭
    "Bernanke and Paulson" image Now wouldn't that be a kick in the ass? The "american"could be plump, drawers hanging down past his butt-crack, and wearing a cocked ball-cap. image
  • Options

<< <i>"Bernanke and Paulson" image Now wouldn't that be a kick in the ass? The "american"could be plump, drawers hanging down past his butt-crack, and wearing a cocked ball-cap. image >>

• Options
    Kienast 408 -- 60mm
  • Options
    Kienast 272 -- 60mm
  • Options
    Kienast 133 -- 83mm
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Very nice Medals, I only have one Goetz with my lion collection, cachman would not part with the other, I like the satire pieces alsoimage
  • Options
    Fantastic--Why can't they mint US coins with this type of artwork???
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py
  • Options
    A few more...