Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

sold

cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
Very pretty coin with near full red reverse. An ICG graded 64 BN recently sold for $2070 at Long Beach in a Heritage auction.

$2500 shipped. Check or money order only please.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

Comments

• Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    wow that is one sweet 09 there dave

i swear some of my matty's just dont have "it"

my 64r/b doesn't come close to yours here dave as i kick myself at times for persuing 64r/b and not just matty's that have "it" as many brn's kick r/b's butt

everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I like "it." I agree that the obverse is BN, but with so much red in the reverse, I'm surprised it didn't go the other way.
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think grading is biased about 70-30 to the obverse. But thats just my opinion. MPL's seem to be one of the few coins that show this degree of color change front to back.
  • Options
    BWRCBWRC Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭

Nice coin Dave!!
    Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.
  • Options
    That is one very sweet coin. It may actually be a red-brown, but even so, I looked at the MPL population reports and found one surprising thing to me about 'brown' MPL coins that I had not known before:

When I looked at the pop numbers, there are actually so few brown 1909 proofs. Specifically, there are only 35 BN PCGS certified 1909s. The breakdown: PR62(5) - PR63(4) - PR64(15) - PR65(9) - PR66(2). So that makes the 1909 the third rarest matte proof brown matte proof year (the 1916 is second, with 32 listed by PCGS and the 1909VDB has only 8 listed). So the 1909 and 1916 are almost numerically identical! Ironically, the coin with the most browns certified by PCGS is the 1912, with 95 Browns certified.

Weird, huh? Theories??