Home Sports Talk
Options

Yankees' Fall From Grace Stems From Years Of Draft Neglect

JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
ESPN's Buster Olney title's to his column is "Yankees' fall from grace stems from years of draft neglect." Fall from grace?! Are you kidding me.

The Yankees are currently 86-71 and with 5 games to go, have a chance at 90 wins. But even if they don't win another game and finish 86-76, I hardly consider that "falling from grace." Michael Vick fell from grace. Marion Jones fell from grace. The Yankees not making the playoffs and they're falling from grace|?! Geez, with a headline like that you think MLB decided to contract the Yankees.

/s/ JackWESQ

Comments

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Tough to get hi draft picks when you are in 1st place most of the time.

The opposite of all this is the Rays this yr.

From the article:

"We need a catcher," Steinbrenner said. When it came time for the Yankees to make their first round pick, 28th overall,

That about sums it up.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Yankees shouldnt be considered a fall from grace, it is very tough to compete in the AL East now especially when you got three other very good ballclubs- RAYS, SOX, JAYS. Its a tough division, I think maybe the Yankees thought their younger guys would pull through for them like the Rays and Sox- bottom line they really didnt pan out the way they thought and THAT was the difference as well IMO.

The Yanks have nothing to be ashamed of, I hate them but respect them image
  • Options
    I also disagree that the Yanks have been ignoring the draft - Hughes & Kennedy were VERY highly rated coming into the year. And we all know how well Joba turned out. Bret Gardner is off to a promising start, and Milkey & Robinson, while still growing, have turned into solid ball players.
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    The Yankees had a great run. I'm sure they will be back strong next year.
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    13 straight years in post season. Only a biased view point can conjure up stories about a "fall from grace". The Yankees still have a shot at winning 90 games for crying out loud.
    The late 1960's Yankees were a team that fell from grace. This is just stupid.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options

<< <i>Tough to get hi draft picks when you are in 1st place most of the time. >>

Yeah, especially when you lose all your early round picks because you signed Class A free agents.

I think you guys are focusing too much on the title of the article and not enough on what the article says. Olney's point is more that the Yankees didn't draft well or put enough emphasis on the draft between 1997 and 2005. Only when Cashman took over player development did they start to pick guys like Chamberlain, Kennedy, and Hughes. Anyways, if you want to cry foul over the title you can do that, but if you look at making the playoffs every year for 13 years as a great time, or a time of grace if you will, then not making the playoffs should be considered a fall from grace. That doesn't mean they all the sudden suck. It just means that a really great, really amazing streak has ended.
  • Options

<< <i>The Yankees shouldnt be considered a fall from grace, it is very tough to compete in the AL East now especially when you got three other very good ballclubs- RAYS, SOX, JAYS. Its a tough division, I think maybe the Yankees thought their younger guys would pull through for them like the Rays and Sox- bottom line they really didnt pan out the way they thought and THAT was the difference as well IMO.

image >>

Plus, losing your #1 guy had to hurt, but then again, no one expect Mussina to pitch the way he did. So those two kind of washed out.

The Yankees younger guys like Melky, Cano, Hughes, Duncan, IP Kennedy, Gardner are not in the same mold as Pedroia, Ellsbury, Youk
    and Lester. So basically, the Yankees younger players really suck, and the Rays and Red Sox younger players rock. That is basically
    the difference image
  • Options

<< <i> That doesn't mean they all the sudden suck. . >>

Yes it does. image

Their younger players suck. The Rays and Red Sox have much better younger players then the Yankees. Let's not try to
    wisper sweet nothings to our friends from the Bronx. C'mon, everyone together now....The Yankees young players SUCK.
    The Yankees young players SUCK. The Yankees young players SUCK. When they get older, the Yankees will continue to SUCK.

The Yankees have Arod. The Yankees SUCK.
    The Yankees have an aging Rivera, Pettite, Mussina. The Yankees SUCK.
    The Yankees didn't get Vladimir Guerrero or Johann Santana when they should have. The Yankees SUCK.
    The Yankees didn't honor Joe Torre. The Yankees SUCK.

But don't worry Yankee fans, we'll be here to remind you of your horrible team year after year after year...because they SUCK.