Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

"HEY LEE" is that your ike on the cover of coin world?

WOW, way to cherrypick! image
figglehorn

Comments

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    It certainly is!

Do you suppose its "important"?

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    ClosedLoopClosedLoop Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    I think it's an imortant find since it is the only one known to exist. I also think that it's unbelievable that someone has this much knowledge on a single series that you were able to walk into the long beach expo and grab this for under ten bucks! lets see what the other members think.
    figglehorn
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    I read the article but cannot recall-- is there an estimated value on this coin?
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options

WTG Lee................................image
  • Options
    pic ? for those of us not in the "loop" thanks image
    ....and in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make....

The Beatles
  • Options

<< <i>I read the article but cannot recall-- is there an estimated value on this coin? >>

Low to mid 5 figures.

If no others turn up in the near future, mid to high 5 figures.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>pic ? for those of us not in the "loop" thanks image >>

Old thread with pics.

Coin World scan:

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Totally cool!

K
    ANA LM
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats Lee! Very cool. image

And I think it's important. image
  • Options
    Wow! I had no idea how much that was worth, a big Congrats on that, and on making the cover!
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats, Lee! A couple of questions:

When you cherried it, was the coin being sold as a proof or a business strike?

Also, you said the eagle was the friendly variety- does this mean that the eagle's head shape and characteristics match RDV-006?
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220
    Lee congrats on the artical. I still hate Ike dollars, reminds me when my mom used Mr Clean for my bubble bath and it burned my!!image

My mom use to sing Mr Clean, Mr. Clean. and I can't get this ball headed guy out of my mind.
  • Options
    I remember you posting after you found it. Congratulations, Lee. You sure know your stuff!
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,209 ✭✭✭✭✭

Calls for a you suck award: YOU SUCK image

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options

<< <i>Congrats, Lee! A couple of questions:

Also, you said the eagle was the friendly variety- does this mean that the eagle's head shape and characteristics match RDV-006? >>

Yes. No Furrowed Brow.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    sumduncesumdunce Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭✭
    Definite "YOU SUCK" award!

The earth does not appear to match any of the previous die types. Would this make it a new RDV type?

S
  • Options

<< <i>Definite "YOU SUCK" award!

The earth does not appear to match any of the previous die types. Would this make it a new RDV type?

S >>

James Wiles has this listed as a new Obverse Die Variety (ODV-010) and a new Reverse Die Variety (RDV-007), so Yes.

It is also listed as a new Wiles DDO Variety (DDO-023).

image .. image

The label wasn't nearly big enough to accomodate all the "designations"! image

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    librtyheadlibrtyhead Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭
    WoW! Crazy cool!
  • Options
    Ok for those of us not knowledgable about Ikes.....what makes this coin valuable.....is it the only known 1971-S Proof or is it the composition or is it simply a new die variety never before seen?
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on your super double discovery!!!!!!

Ed
  • Options
    sumduncesumdunce Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭✭
    <<<Ok for those of us not knowledgable about Ikes.....what makes this coin valuable.....is it the only known 1971-S Proof or is it the composition or is it simply a new die variety never before seen?>>>

The dies used to strike this proof Ike were not used for a regular production run on proof or business strike Ikes.

This appears to be an experimentaly produced coin which got released somehow.

If this had been produced on more standard type dies then it probably would have commanded a premium but since the dies were not used for any other purpose it is presently considered unique and as such commands a substantial premium.

At this point, time and searching will tell if more than one coin was released. I personally would love to see a prototype copper-nickel also.

S

Edited to correct copper-nickel not silver in last sentence, this prototype is silver.
  • Options
    Congratulations- that is really nifty.image
    "College men from LSU- went in dumb, come out dumb too..."
    -Randy Newmanimage
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Congrats, Lee! A couple of questions:

Also, you said the eagle was the friendly variety- does this mean that the eagle's head shape and characteristics match RDV-006? >>

Yes. No Furrowed Brow. >>

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definite "YOU SUCK" award! image
    ~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    Congrat's!!

• Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    That is really cool. Congrats !
  • Options

<< <i><<<Ok for those of us not knowledgable about Ikes.....what makes this coin valuable.....is it the only known 1971-S Proof or is it the composition or is it simply a new die variety never before seen?>>>

The dies used to strike this proof Ike were not used for a regular production run on proof or business strike Ikes.

This appears to be an experimentaly produced coin which got released somehow.

If this had been produced on more standard type dies then it probably would have commanded a premium but since the dies were not used for any other purpose it is presently considered unique and as such commands a substantial premium.

At this point, time and searching will tell if more than one coin was released. I personally would love to see a prototype copper-nickel also.

S

Edited to correct copper-nickel not silver in last sentence, this prototype is silver. >>

Exactly correct Sumdunce!

The IKE Group believes that this particular coin was from very early in the development phase of what could and could not be successfully produced designwise. As to whether or not it is unique, at this point in time, that is simply unknown. I'm hoping it is though. image

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Congrats again Lee; You're the Man!
    John G Bradley II
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome achievement, Lee!!!!!

imageimageimage
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Does the dealer you bought this from realize what you found? Did you tell him after you paid for it? What was the dealers name? This is really cool!!! Again CONGRATS!!!!!
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    Way to go Lee!!!!!!!!!!!!! "you suck"image
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    congrats and a "you suck"
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    That's putting your knowledge to good use. Way to separate yourself from the boys.
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lee is 'Da-man,,,,,,,

imageimage

GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    GandyjaiGandyjai Posts: 1,380 ✭✭
    A big "CONGRATS" and bigger "YOU SUCK!" award are appropriate here!image
    imageimageimage

Brian

I love image Variety & Error Ikes! image
  • Options

<< <i>Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Does the dealer you bought this from realize what you found? Did you tell him after you paid for it? What was the dealers name? This is really cool!!! Again CONGRATS!!!!! >>

Thank You and I do not have a real clear memory of who this dealer was just like I could not tell you who I purchased a couple of RAW 1941-D and 1941-S Jefferson's from that graded MS66FS at PCGS!

Anybody that knows me also knows that I cannot loupe worth a poop so the real significance of the coin was not learned until after the IKE Group received it. Just like those three 1971-S IKEs I picked up at a Denver show that looked like PegLeg business strikes which turned out to be, well, regular old business strikes! I'm fairly helpless with a loupe and have wasted more than my share of money! image

Beside's, even if I did know what it was and who the dealer was, I would never divulge that I'd purchased a major score from him/her as I really enjoy my cherrypicking. Experience has taught me that when I go back and make such comments that I get cut off fairly quickly from any future cherrypicking. image

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975
  • Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lee, I hope you're basking in all this, 'cuz you sure deserve it! image
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

........congrats on the discovery, lee!! image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    Lee- I understand not wanting to tell due to the "cherry picking" BUT i would guess that any dealer at the show that has seen the copy of Coin world is scratching there head if they sold any "IKES". LOL Again another congrats!!!! I love reading about stuff of this nature.
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    A second example of this particular die marriage was found early this year.

That makes 2 of this particular die marriage and a third coin with a different die marriage consisting of ODV-011 and RDV-007.

Only 3 coins with RDV-007 have been found. I wonder how many more there are? image

The name is LEE!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file