Home Sports Talk
Options

A little known baseball stat for ya. You can win the batting title without the minimum # of plate a

Minimum # of plate appearances required is 502 to win the batting title. But, if you get at least 495 appearances the stats mavens will give you an automatic 0 for 7 to get you to 502. If you still lead in batting average after that calculation, you win the batting title.

RON STATSBOY BURGUNDY
Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items

Comments

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    what if your team plays only 161 games?
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    This fact received a lot of publicity when Brett made a run at .400, but was injured part of season. I do not remember which year it was. A lot of the talking heads did not like the rule.
  • Options
    ymareaymarea Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭
    The rule for league leader qualification is that a player must have a minimum of 3.1 plate appearances for every game his team plays. If a player falls short of the required total but would still be leading the league if the difference were applied, then he is considered the league leader.

For example, Joe hits .400, going 160-400 with 63 walks and 0 HPB for a team that played 162 games. His 463 plate appearances leaves him 39 shy of the minimum required. John has the required amount and finsihes with the 2nd-highest average of .363. Adding 39 AB's to Joe's 400 leaves him with a .364 avg (160-439) and the batting crown. Of course, those 39 AB's aren't actually added to Joe's total. They are only used to determine whether or not Joe would still have a higher average than John.

Edited for spelling.
    Brett
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Ron a player needs 3.1 plate appearances per game his team plays in.

It has happened at least one time when a player had a high enough average over the runnerup
    where if he went 0 for whatever (the amount needed to get to 3.1 per game) he could still win the title.

I think 1996 Tony Gwynn did that.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    The year Brett hit 390 he had the required amount of plate appearances.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>This fact received a lot of publicity when Brett made a run at .400, but was injured part of season. I do not remember which year it was. A lot of the talking heads did not like the rule. >>

The year was 1980. Brett finised with 449 AB, but his 58 walks pushed his total plate appearances over the required minimun, so the little-used rule did not go into affect.
    Brett
  • Options
    Brett we keep saying the same things. lol

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Brett we keep saying the same things. lol

Steve >>

I know. We're typing at the same time, unbeknownst to one another. You are quicker off the draw than I.
    Brett
  • Options
    We did this yesterday too!

lol

Steve
    Good for you.