Home Sports Talk
Options

Yankee festivities snub The Rocket

MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
An incredible scene last night from Yankee Stadium that I thoroughly enjoyed . It was great to see the old timers in their uniforms trot out to their long ago playing positions. Very classy of Jeter to lead the team around the ball park after the game, no doubt an emotional moment for many, many fans. I'm honestly glad they won the last game at home.

While I thought Clemens should not be there, I thought the Yankee's decision to even exclude him from the "pitcher's video" on the big screen was a bit much. After all, he did spend 6 years there and helped the team win 2 WS, not to mention AS appearances. The Rocket may be persona non grata in a lot of places, but to pretend he didn't do what he in fact did by eliminating him from the video I thought, was a bit bush league. Having his face flash on the screen for a few seconds would have been the higher road to take, IMO.

This from a HUGE Red Sox fan.

Comments

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wondered the same thing as I was watching the pre-game festivities. ESPN's Buster Olney talked about it on Sportscenter/Baseball Tonight after the game, along with the Yankees also omitting Joe Torre from the video tribute to the managers.

All-in-all, I thought the festivities were very well done, but the omission of Clemens and Torre was pretty juvenileimageimage

Steve
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW no Torre? That is classless IMO, I couldnt care less and I can MAYBE understand not showing Clemens ( I cant stand him either ) But not showing Joe Torre? -1 For Yankee brass.
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    Hopefully Roger was with Barry or one of his kind . Gosh did you mis-remember or something. Some fans are so blind to what others can so easily see.

We all make choices every day. In the end , we will all have to give an account.
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Roger deserved it, given he threw everyone under the bus, including his wife.

Now excluding Torre, that was classless.
  • Options
    I agree, Clemens was rightfully eliminated but Torre is a class act and should have at least been honored.
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Typical New York excluding Torre, afterall he is one of the good guys in baseball. Did wallet and money clip make an apperance? How about
    greed and gluttony? Too bad the last game meant nothing in terms of winning a world championship. Was Wade Boggs there? Was
    he wearing a D Rays uni?

JS
  • Options
    I should have mentioned Joe Torre when I began the thread, CLEARLY he should have been honored in some fashion. Hard to understand why he would be excluded, had to be a carryover from his declination of the contract offer last year. Really an insult to a man who has given so much to the Yankee organization.

I'm not a Clemens fan but still think the video about pitchers should have included him. Remember, at the beginning, the announcer stated that "not all players could be here". I would think that would have sufficed for dumping Clemens, but still in all, no one can deny his accomplishments. Kindofa Pete Rose thing, like him or not, he was one helluva player...he just got stupid, like Roger. Hubris in high blower!!
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see what your saying Al ( about Clemens ) but screw him- and I feel that way ONLY because of his attitude towards Boston it has absolutely nothing to do with his steroid thing, Im glad New York snubbed him just like he snubbed Boston for them.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just remembered one more thing...

To add more fuel to the fire, guess who the Yankees included in the video tribute to first basemen......................

Hal Chaseimage

Banned from baseball for cheating/gambling/throwing gamesimage

Knowing that, how in the he!! could they not include Clemens????????

Steve
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I should have mentioned Joe Torre when I began the thread, CLEARLY he should have been honored in some fashion. Hard to understand why he would be excluded, had to be a carryover from his declination of the contract offer last year. Really an insult to a man who has given so much to the Yankee organization.

I'm not a Clemens fan but still think the video about pitchers should have included him. Remember, at the beginning, the announcer stated that "not all players could be here". I would think that would have sufficed for dumping Clemens, but still in all, no one can deny his accomplishments. Kindofa Pete Rose thing, like him or not, he was one helluva player...he just got stupid, like Roger. Hubris in high blower!! >>

He didn't just get stupid, he's been a mental midget his entire life. The older he got the more entitled he became.
  • Options

<< <i>I see what your saying Al ( about Clemens ) but screw him- and I feel that way ONLY because of his attitude towards Boston it has absolutely nothing to do with his steroid thing, Im glad New York snubbed him just like he snubbed Boston for them. >>

I hear ya Paul. But wasn't it Dan Duquette that pushed him to Toronto? I think Clemens' anger came from the way he was treated by Red Sox management during that time...unfortunately we, the fans, always get the short end, just like the Manny thing. Can you honestly still rah rah for Manny's past accomplishments while he is on a tear in LA? Clearly he dogged us and wanted out for whatever reason. Again, the fans get screwed. At least Clemens never said "I'd never play for the Yankees" ala Damon.

TWELVE LOBs tonight and yet another one run loss...I think this is about 20. Where is the killer instinct with our team?? Time for the "Cowboy Up" attitude, or I fear the oppostion is gonna go through us like a hot knife through butter.

Take care,
    Al

• Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    I agree about the Rocket being snubbed, but snubbing Joe Torre, that totally shows a lack of class. Joe Torre has class and was great for the Yankees and he will be in the HOF as a manager. I certainly hope Hank Steinbrenner realizes very soon he doesn't know how to run a baseball team and to let his basball people run the team. If he doesn't do that, the new Yankee stadium will not have any good memories and Jeter will retire after playing in many meaningless games.

Brian
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Both should have been mentioned, also, George Steinbrenner was not mentioned as well.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I see what your saying Al ( about Clemens ) but screw him- and I feel that way ONLY because of his attitude towards Boston it has absolutely nothing to do with his steroid thing, Im glad New York snubbed him just like he snubbed Boston for them. >>

If you recall, he snubbed Boston for a team in a foreign country. But the last laugh was on him, as they paid him in Canadian Dollars, which were worth 65 cents at the time! image (OK, not really. image)
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Both should have been mentioned, also, George Steinbrenner was not mentioned as well.

Steve >>

I'd like to think that the elder Steinbrenner did not get mentioned because he made sure he would not be mentioned. He knew the night was about the Stadium and the storied franchise and wanted to keep it that way.