Home Precious Metals

Where to Buy Gold?

I don't invest in bullion myself, but my brother-in-law asked me where a good place would be to buy gold bullion as an investment. I told him I'd get back to him on that, so I have to ask... where is a good place to buy gold bullion as an investment? Thank you in advance for your help.

Bob

Comments

• How large a metro area do you live in?

If you have a few competing B&M shops that would probably be your best bet.

Go for generic gold for the best price. K-Rands, Maples are at the lowest premiums around here. You can never go wrong with Gold Eagles either.

Gold is plentiful where I am, silver........ not so much.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • fcfc Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭
    an alternative to bullion is of course generic gold coins...

a saint at close to melt in a good TPG slab is hard to deny as a good
    bullion play.
  • I was talking bullion coins as I haven't seem many bars at all lately.

Nothing wrong with a Saint either, just don't worry about the grade on the slab and it will be near melt as well.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
  • A lot of gold commems (modern) go for right around spot too, even on ebay.
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Thanks for the replies. My brother-in-law lives in the San Diego, CA area. Are there reputable firms online from which to buy gold bullion? I've heard of Kitco, but I recall reading that they're just for buying silver.

Bob
  • fcfc Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I was talking bullion coins as I haven't seem many bars at all lately.

Nothing wrong with a Saint either, just don't worry about the grade on the slab and it will be near melt as well. >>

sorry misread your post. i skipped the generic gold part somehow.

my bad.

• << <i>Thanks for the replies. My brother-in-law lives in the San Diego, CA area. Are there reputable firms online from which to buy gold bullion? I've heard of Kitco, but I recall reading that they're just for buying silver. >>

DO NOT buy online. Steer clear of Kitco.

San Diego has to have several B&M shops and they would have to be competitive. Just a few phone calls should lead him in the right direction.

No shipping/insurance fees, no waiting, etc.

If it's anythng like Houston, he should be able to find modern generic bullion coins or an older Saint or three for around $8 to $12 over spot.

Around here you can buy modern commems at spot. Last batch I bought was actually a couple bucks under spot, of course I did buy them out, 14 ounces.

They really wanted to clear that junk out. Gold is gold.
  • I see nothing wrong with APMEX.

I have ordered from them, I like their website, and it's a safe and easy process IMO.

APMEX
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try the BST. I know at least one seller that has a couple of ounces near melt image