Home Sports Talk
Options

Question about sports dynasties

Does anyone know why we don't have sports dynasties today like we did years ago ?

I don't think football has any sports dynasties. But in hockey we had the Montreal Canadiens. In baseball we had the NY Yankees.
In basketball, we had the Celtics and Lakers.

Was the makeup of sports franchises years ago different then today ? Why aren't we seeing the dynasties today like we saw years
ago ? The Bulls started to build a dynasty in the 80's and 90's, but it seems like it has faded away. The 49ers looked like they were building a dynasty, along with the Cowboys, but you really can't call either dynasties. I guess if the Cowboys won 3 super bowls
in the next 5 years, perhaps we could call them a football dynasty, but that would be stretching it.

Comments

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I guess if the Cowboys won 3 super bowls
    in the next 5 years, perhaps we could call them a football dynasty, but that would be stretching it. >>

The 90's Cowboys became the first team in NFL history to win 3 superbowls in 4 years. It has only been matched once by the 2000's Pats.

That said, by your standard quoted above, both teams were certainly dynasties.

Imo, any team that wins more that 2 championships in any decade should be considered a dynasty. The Pats, Cowboys, Steelers and Niners all qualify for this.

edit to add: I know what you mean though. The Yankees, Celtics and Lakers of old all had amazing dynasties unmatched since.
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    There are many more teams today than we had years ago. Also, we now have free agency, salary caps and luxury taxes. Baseball did not have a draft until the mid-sixties.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    With college basketball I can tell you we likely won't see another UCLA (10 championships in 12 years including 7 in a row) for a few reasons:
    1) More rules in recruiting make it harder for one school to have unfair advantage;
    2) Longer playoffs now (same for major league sports also) make it easier to get knocked off before winning it all;
    3) Kids leave school early so less continuity (in the pros they change teams more so less continuity).

• Options

<< <i> Baseball did not have a draft until the mid-sixties. >>

Then how would players get on teams ?
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Free-agency and salary caps.

Nowadays, when a team gets several great players, the players all want top-dollar salaries. The team can't afford to keep all of them, so they have to let some players go, making it extremely difficult to maintain the overall team quality long enough to reach "Dynasty" standards.

Steve
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Then how would players get on teams ?

They were all free agents. Mostly signed by scouts.

A player was free to sign with a team and then was bound to that team.

All a draft is, is an orderly way to accuire talent.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    To further expand, then once signed he played for that team until he was traded or released.

The first draft was in 1965 and Rick Monday was the first number 1 pick.

Steve
    Good for you.