Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Set Retired

It came to me, there is only so far you can push a set without proper funds.
It's a hard thing to give up on something you love so much. And then there is all the time, (years), and hard work finding, and or making the coins that made up the set. A day comes when you know you've crossed a line. You are cutting your meds to half dose and are skipping Dr.'s appointments to save for another upgrade.
So I retired my sets, and have sold off 13 of my coins within the first week. This without even running a notice that the coins were for sale. Best of all, I've found that helping others better their sets, makes me feel much better about giving up mine.
So thats my new mission, make coins people need and pass them along. No, not for free silly, it costs money to buy rolls and mint sets to make and send coins to PCGS. image
Dan

Comments

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dan60,

I would have to say that anyone can buy a completed set, but to assemble it the way you did was a complete testimony to your true collecting spirit. You made some very hard to make coins and scratched and clawed to purchase the others. I've looked at your set no less than a few 100x's and will continue to do so now that its been retired. I for one will continue to see you as a very good friend and wish you many great submissions in your bright future as a "Maker" of coins.

Dan, you should feel very proud of what you assembled. Its not that easy...

You Pal,

Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    Dan,

Sad times are these. Your set, as well as Paul's, are the ones I always look at.
    Upgrades are tough when you hit that certain level.

As always, Health is more important then hobbies.

You keep searching those coins and getting them to us and take care.
    Dont be a stranger to the boards either.

BILL
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's all I can say... I'm image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That people are anxious to acquire your coins is testament to your eye, patience, savvy, etc.

I trust you'll able to assemble something else in the future which is even more fun and higher quality.

Good luck.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭✭
    Dan,

You built a fabulous set that anyone would be proud to own. I know you will have loads of
    fun slabing Roosies. Keep me at the top of your list when you make that special coin.

Your Roosie Buddie
    Onlyroosies
  • Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the kind words from my friends.
    Nick the 11 coin submission I'm getting ready are all clad varietys. Not much good to you, or am I wrong?
    Dan
  • Options
    onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭✭
    Not much good to you, or am I wrong?

Dan, Let me know if you make any top pops.
  • Options
    SilverstateSilverstate Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It came to me, there is only so far you can push a set without proper funds.
    It's a hard thing to give up on something you love so much. And then there is all the time, (years), and hard work finding, and or making the coins that made up the set. A day comes when you know you've crossed a line. You are cutting your meds to half dose and are skipping Dr.'s appointments to save for another upgrade.
    So I retired my sets, and have sold off 13 of my coins within the first week. This without even running a notice that the coins were for sale. Best of all, I've found that helping others better their sets, makes me feel much better about giving up mine.
    So thats my new mission, make coins people need and pass them along. No, not for free silly, it costs money to buy rolls and mint sets to make and send coins to PCGS. image >>

Please link to your set/sets for others to see.
  • Options
    For those that have been asking.......
    I will post a listing of the coins from my Registry set. I hope to have that ready tonight or tomorrow for sure.
    About 30 have been sold, or are on hold, but many nice ones are left. imageimage
    Dan
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    toned? image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    No color to speak of on any coins from my set. Clads seem tone slower than Silvers, but I do have a few that have a nice start at toning.
    Dan
  • Options
    MistercoinmanMistercoinman Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭
    Dan, I am sorry to see you stop your set, although I understand it. I will be seeking your help when I start my next clad set. Your Roosey pal Fred
  • Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    Unless you are financially VERY well to do, it is a barrier we must all face. I know that a few years ago I decided to abandon my No Bands Mercury set because I knew it would become too expensive to complete the way I had begun. It was a fun ride, but most sets will do that to a regular collector
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • Options

<< <i>Unless you are financially VERY well to do, it is a barrier we must all face. >>

Well put DeepCoin. This is exactly what happened to me.
    It's no secret that clad Roosevelts are hot right now, with the exception of the firesale on teletrade recently, and prices, along with demand for the lower pops are moving up at a nice little pace. And remember this. All through the history of collecting, new sets come from the parts of retired sets. Its a change over, its happened before, and it will happen again.
    Dan
  • Options
    Dan50 retiring his clads....well I never!... say it ain't so!
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    It's true, gave um up for basket weaving.
    Dan
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Basket weaving!image
  • Options
    bushmaster8 Some of those coins came from you a few years ago. image
    Dan