Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

1910 MPL planchet study Circ Strike vs Matte PR>

Close up rim shots of a 1910 MPL cent and a 1910 Cent produced for circulation. A study into the planchets used to produce MPL cents.

Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.

Comments

• WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Should be a required picture for all raw "Mattes" sold on Ebay.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    awesome job brian and thanks too.

not sure how long it will be but i'll chime in with this study too...as diameter "c" should be the same
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Nice, Brian. Right's wider; left's a slider..... image

Can you give the Matte Heads (MHs) any MPL edge "fin" action?

Side Question: Can you typically see any horozontal or vertical "lines" running vertically or horizontally with a MPL third side? I have a raw '09 (as you know), which has a third side with mirror edges, but has some 'cross-hatch' lines from being pulled in and out of a whitman folder for years (I think). How do you differentiate edge damage caused by a holder. I'd characterize what I see as rim edge hairlines from holder friction. Ever see that?

Duane
  • BWRCBWRC Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭

Duane requested the "rimfin" shot (1910 shot out of holder showing reverse knife like edge)

Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.
  • Nice. thank you.

DB
  • MarkJudeMarkJude Posts: 355 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the visual aid - much easier for some of us to see the differences versus reading about them.

Mark
    I'm here to learn a little something...
    Mark's Mattes
    Mark's Cameo SMS Set
    Mark's Non-Cameo SMS Set
  • sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    finding an older thread that I tried the new search cancel all the junk after thread number theory as explained in my other thread
  • Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    Now this is the kind of "STUFF" I like to see on this forum. Usable information is power, and when prices reach a certain point, you need all the power you can get to keep the wolf away. Way to go guys.... image
    Dan
  • curlycurly Posts: 2,880

<< <i>Now this is the kind of "STUFF" I like to see on this forum. Usable information is power, and when prices reach a certain point, you need all the power you can get to keep the wolf away. Way to go guys.... image >>

You got that right, brother. There have been criticism of some around here for "promoting" MPLs but I've read more "teachable" threads on MPLs than any other series. If a person is looking for a series to collect and to learn about there is no other series like MPLs. There are threads on each one of the years concerning diagnostics, mintage population vs surviving population, RDs, RBs, and BNs etc. You can even find threads on how some are being doctored. A big plus is there are only nine coins to learn about. Study those nine coins and you can set down and talk MPLs with any of the big dealers out there. The ANA put out a good article about twenty five years ago about them and Kevin Flynn's recently released book is a sure winner on MPLs.

MPLs were very cheap a few years ago. Not so today. The prices have increased substantially since then, and rightfully so. These things are truly rare. Do a comparison of the population with any other series and you'll see what I mean. I've been collecting coins since 1964 and I've gotten more satisfaction and knowledge about MPLs than any other series I've had and that's due to some of the excellent MPL threads that are around here.

Every man is a self made man.
  • ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very well said Curly. I agree that MPL's are a fun series to collect, but you need to know what you're doing, especially if you ever try to buy them raw. There is so much good information on MPL's, especially, as you mentioned, Kevin Flynn's new book, which is an absolutely wonderful source for the most up to date information on MPL's. I learned a lot of new information in this book. Here's a linky to an article on Kevin's book. I seriously recommend it to anyone who is interested in Matte Proof Lincolns!

p.s. no, I'm not getting any commissions on sales of this book! I just really like it, honestly. image
    Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • Those are great photos and clearly illustrate what the sharp edges of the MPL should look like.
    Question:
    Are all of the Matte Proof Lincolns found with such clear and distinctly sharp edges as the 1910 MPL?

The reason I ask is I was viewing a hi-res photo of the reverse of a 1909 VDB Matte Proof Lincoln that sold for over $40,000 in May 2009. The edge of the reverse of the coin clearly looks to have some rounded edges and looks nowhere near as sharp edged or having the very sharp corners as indicated on your 1910 MPL.
    Here is the photo and the link:
    1909 VDB MPL

• robecrobec Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it weren't for the PCGS gasket covering most of the rim, the image would probably show the rim in a better light. This coin was a recent crossover from another TPG and you'd better believe that all the MPL characteristics are there, especially given the PCGS guarantee and this being the holy grail of MPLs.

• << <i>If it weren't for the PCGS gasket covering most of the rim, the image would probably show the rim in a better light. This coin was a recent crossover from another TPG and you'd better believe that all the MPL characteristics are there, especially given the PCGS guarantee and this being the holy grail of MPLs. >>

I'm not questioning the validity of the coin. It has all of the three major diagnostics to confirm it as a 1909 VDB MPL. And, I'm not really interested in hearing about PCGS' quality control. I think that is a foregone conclusion. All I am asking BWRC is, does any of the known 1909 VDB MPL's lack the prominantly sharp cornered rim edges on the reverse as is illustrated in the photo of his 1910 MPL.

The obverse of the coin in question indicates having the sharp edged rim whereas the reverse appears otherwise. Because it is a photo, that's why I used the words "indicates" and "appears" which are not in the imperative.
    I provided the link for illustative purposes. I am asking questions because I wish to learn not just simply to believe and the best way to learn is to ask.
    I apologize if some of my questions seem somewhat juvenile to the more experienced collectors and experts that peruse this sight.