Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1985 Topps Minis

Hello,
I was wondering if someone could shed any light about the 1985 Topps Mini set. How scarce are they? What are they worth? I recently picked up this Tom Seaver and I really don't know if this was a good deal or not. This example is one of four PSA 8's with just one PSA 9 (no 10's).

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.
Phil

1985 Topps Mini Tom Seaver psa 8

Comments

• Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Phil:

They are quite scarce -- I think there are probably between 100-200 of each that exist. I've seen four different varieties, in the following formats:

Blank Back [white]
    Stat back
    Blank Back [tan]
    Stat back -- with only red ink on the back.

Stat and blank back are the most common.

I think there are only 132 or so cards from the set that can be found in the Mini format....I think it was a test out of Canada that slipped out the back door?

I have Schmidt in PSA 9 -- and most of the rest of the Phillies in 8/9.

In the dozen or two examples I've seen, the most common problem is registration, I've seen some really off-register examples. Since they were not really distributed, most of the examples I've seen tend to be towards the higher grades.

Fun cards at any rate. Wish I knew more about them. For better [but likely worse], it seems like Alan Hager was responsible for bringing many of them into the hobby.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Phil:

Hager has this picture on Ebay, which you may use for reference:

I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    redlegsredlegs Posts: 912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Marc! I appreciate the information.
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    what is the size of these?? when you say mini I think of the Topps mini sets that came out in the early 90's. Were they that small???
  • Options
    no, same size as 1975 Minis
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    thanks...went back thru my smaller cards and only found mini's from later years in the 80's
  • Options
    mcholkemcholke Posts: 1,000 ✭✭
    Here are a couple in PSA holders side by side regular and mini

imageimage

Collecting Tony Perez PSA and Rookie Baseball PSA

• Options
    mcholkemcholke Posts: 1,000 ✭✭
    One more example

imageimage

Collecting Tony Perez PSA and Rookie Baseball PSA

• Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭