Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1971-S Eisenhower Mint Marks and Peglegs

19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
I ran across this mint mark on a recent 1971-S business strike coin recently and was wondering if anybody has ever come across an mintmark with such clear separation before?

Here's a "normal" mint mark.

The coin has literally been killed with bag marks and scratches but its also the best DDR I've ever seen for a business strike 71-S!

image .. image

image .. image

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

Comments

• Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Lee, great article in this weeks CoinWorld, You da man...image
  • Options
    Why thank you Cris!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭
    Are they from different mintmark punches?
    --

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • Options

<< <i>Are they from different mintmark punches? >>

I don't really think so but the upper one does not appear to have been struck as deeply as a regular MM.

It's really too bad I didn't find this before it was killed as its a very nice example of a Straight Pegleg (SPL) 1971-S Business strike.

The R looks a lot like the R on the SPL Proof coins and take note that there is no die abrading "halo" around the crown of IKE's head which is what causes the die abraded peglegs.

The photo below is a comparison of the 3 different Pegleg R's from the 1971-S BS coin. Note the differences in the Fading Pegleg R (FPL), Regular R (Reg), and the Straight Pegleg R (SPL).

The photo below shows the abrading halo which is what creates the abraded die pegleg on this 1971-S coin. This is absent on the 3 R's above indicating that the Peglegs are by design.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Hi Lee - this is a super sharp S - nice find!

And I just got on here to tell you congratulations also for your Coin World article - glad you made the "big times"! image

Mar
    Have bought and sold on BST, many references available when asked.
  • Options

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    GandyjaiGandyjai Posts: 1,380 ✭✭
    The mint mark shown has such a very clear, lower loop in the "S"....Almost
    like it has a little "bubble" in it. 'Kind of looks like the top half of the "S" usually looks.

This is a little-known 71-S BS mint mark that was once thought to be an "inverted" S.
    Turns out that it was finally diagnosed to be a "Tilted Punch". They are not easy to find!

A BIG CONGRATS on the Coin World article!!!image

Brian

I Love image Variety & Error Ikes! image

edited for sp...image
  • Options
    I missed this thread the first time 'round. Yesterday I was looking through some 71 brown box Ike's and found at least one that had the same mint mark. At the time I determined it was due to a tilted punch, so it is nice to find some confirmation here as well. Brian, is there any reference material to the tilted punch diagnosis you mentioned?

Perhaps a tilted punch Ike set could be put together for fun?

Aaron
  • Options
    sumduncesumdunce Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice find.

I have run across different types of mintmarks on the 1971-S Ikes but had not really thought about them until now. Maybe I should pull a few out of the junk silver (sort of a comparison set).

Also, I am not current on my periodicals but will get the CoinWorld if it still exists at a local B&M. What issue is it?

V/R

Sumdunce
  • Options
    Nice pics Lee, and congrats on your article; the doubling on top of TE(States) looks to be "machine", but all the rest is there. No, I hadn't seen that MM before; maybe, I'm not looking hard enough....
    John G Bradley II
  • Options

<< <i>And I just got on here to tell you congratulations also for your Coin World article - glad you made the "big times"! image

Mar >>

Hmmm? Which issue? I missed it somehow.

Chris
  • Options
    Lee,
    Did you ever figure out what this mint mark is?
    I ran across a group of 40 Ikes and was going through them and and one of them looked real familiar
    but could not place it. I remembered where I had seen that before this morning. My example there is no dramatic doubling
    on the reverse and there is full serifs on the "R" in Liberty. There is a couple of small splits in the serifs IGWT
    Below are some pics of the one I found.

[URL=http://www.use.com/1971_S_Weird_MM_3c8afbaf4bccb984ce0d?p=1]image[/URL]
    [URL=http://www.use.com/1971_S_Weird_MM_3c8afbaf4bccb984ce0d?p=2]image[/URL]
    [URL=http://www.use.com/1971_S_Weird_MM_3c8afbaf4bccb984ce0d?p=3]image[/URL]
    [URL=http://www.use.com/1971_S_Weird_MM_3c8afbaf4bccb984ce0d?p=4]image[/URL]
    [URL=http://www.use.com/1971_S_Weird_MM_3c8afbaf4bccb984ce0d?p=5]image[/URL]
  • Options

<< <i>Lee,
    Did you ever figure out what this mint mark is?
    I ran across a group of 40 Ikes and was going through them and and one of them looked real familiar
    but could not place it. I remembered where I had seen that before this morning. My example there is no dramatic doubling
    on the reverse and there is full serifs on the "R" in Liberty. There is a couple of small splits in the serifs IGWT
    Below are some pics of the one I found.

image >>

See above as gandyjai provided an answer.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    OOps Sorry Lee must have missed Brian's post some howimage, Thanks for pointing it out.
    Hope all is well there for you,We pray the fires will be beat back soon.

Stew
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's at least one variety that shows outstanding doubling on both sides of the coin-CONECA 7-O-I+2-R-I. It's not difficult to find, either, except as an early die state.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file