Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

Just started my MTG PSA collection

hey guys, I'm a dude just tryin to get back into collecting MTG cards...I collected them when I was younger, but I could never really afford the good stuff LOL
i dont play or anything, always just collected, and im OCD with condition....so when I found out PSA was grading MTG cards, I was excited...I'm only collecting PSA 10's
But damn, they are hard to find....3 weeks of searching and i only got these:

Juzam Djinn
Serendib Efreet
Mishra's Workshop
Mirror Universe

I am certainly lookin for more, and that's why I'm happy I found this forum.

Just wondering...do any of you have the following PSA 10 cards for sale?? I'm willing to pay a good amount

Demonic Tutor (Beta)
Sengir Vampire (Beta)
Savannah Lions (Beta)
Earthbind (Beta)
Chaos Orb (Beta)
Icy Manipulator (Beta)
Balance (Beta)
Serra Angel (Beta)
Nevinyrral's Disk (Beta)
Northern Paladin (Beta)
Winter Orb (Beta)

Ali from Cairo (Arabian Nights)
Diamond Valley (Arabian Nights)
Erhnam Djinn (Arabian Nights)
Junun Efreet (Arabian Nights)
Serendib Djinn (Arabian Nights)

The Abyss (Legends)
All Hallow's Eve (Legends)
Moat (Legends)
Nether Void (Legends)
Nicol Bolas (Legends)
Pixie Queen (Legends)

Ball Lightning (The Dark)
Frankenstein's Monster (The Dark)
Goblin Wizard (The Dark)

well, if anyone has any...please let me know...you can also e-mail me at js.golds@gmail.com
THANKS GUYS!!

Comments

• Options
    Hi & welcome to the sickness!

You'll find that most people on these boards tend to be buyers rather than sellers, but some people do get spare cards from time to time (or may be open to doing trades if you have stuff you need for their sets and can come up with something which benefits you both).

I've found that the best way to get specific cards you're looking for is grade them yourself - although I did buy a lot of already graded stuff in the beginning, it was only once I started buying raw cards that I managed to fill a lot of specific holes I had in my sets. If you are relatively early on in your set collections, you might want to consider buying some sealed booster packs/decks - you'll probably get a reasonable amount of 10s from those (although it is by no means guaranteed) if you grade them yourself. The Beta and Arabians will probably come up on ebay from time to time, but you'll have to be pretty patient if you want to buy them graded as it's not often. If you have a fair number of cards already, and are just looking for those specific ones you try to look out for good cards on ebay - they do come up every so often. That will probably be better than buying packs (as its relatively unlikely you will get specifc cards you want from packs obviously!)

On the other cards (Dark/Legends) most people aren't grading those at the moment as the fees relative to card prices are a bit high, so you will almost definitely need to buy raw and grade them yourself via PSA if you want those any time soon.

Oh, and if a spare Ernham Djinn pops up you will have to fight me for it too, as I need one for my set. ;-)

Good luck with your collections!
  • Options
    Hey...thanks for the response

That actually brings up an idea that ive had for someone trying to get raw cards in quantities knowing they are in mint condition.

is anyone familiar with group breaks? they're done on youtube and they usually involve sports cards. People pay a certain amount for a spot/team and they get all the cards from that box for that team (and of course you randomly get that team).

It's never been done with magic before, but I've been proactive in trying to get a core group of guys that would bust some stuff.

For instance, lets look at a Beta starter pack. On ebay right now you can get em for about $1,200. Now each person would pay $200 for a spot because there would be 6 spots, each spot would get a different color (white, black, blue, red, green, artifact/land). You could even seperate land and artifact to make it cheaper per spot, but if you dont get a dual you're screwed.
    ANYWAY, once everyone pays, the colors are randomly drawn, so you might end up with white, you might end up with artifact...you wont know.
    Then the pack is purchased, opened live on youtube, and hopefully the person openeing the deck will be VERY careful with the cards (perhaps immediately placing them in penny sleeves) and they ship out the cards.

It's a nice way to get a bunch of rare cards in 1 shot for a decent price...and hey if you get artifact and you get a black lotus for only $200, you cant beat that right??

Well, I for one am down....so that makes 5 more people if you guys are interested. I dont, however, have a camcorder...so perhaps a more trusted member would be willing to break it live??

what do you guys think? we can do some historic breaks
  • Options
    only 1 response?? arent there any more people who collect MTG?
  • Options
    There are ... but they quite often only check the boards infrequently ...

On your starter deck idea, it could work, and I might be interested if you work something about. I'm not sure the best way to share the cards out though - there are only 3 rares in each starter (or is it two ... can't remember!) so you're bound to end up with some pretty disappointed people given the value of cards is pretty heavily geared towards the rares. Also, the distribution of value isn't very uniform across colours. You can pretty much guarantee that whoever gets blue or artifacts is probably going to do significantly better than everyone else.

Not sure what a good suggestion is ... maybe buy 6 starters and then take turns picking rares (not sure how you decide the order)/uncommons and then share out the commons according to colour.

The trouble is its hard to spread the risk of getting bad cards in a good way so it evens out - how does this work with the sports cards? Do you get cards which are worth 10x other cards of similar rarity in sealed packs?

• Options
    2 rares per deck.

Never been a fan of group breaks, but some people really like them. If you do decide to go that way, good luck image

Take it easy,
    Jared
    "You consider me the young apprentice,
    Caught between the Scylla and Charibdes,
    Hypnotized by you if I should linger,
    Staring at the ring around your finger" - Sting

Ray Thiel (1964-2007) - the man who showed me more wonderful games & gaming sessions than I ever dreamed possible... you ran out of hit points too young, my friend.
  • Options
    well its completely random...that's the fun of it....you'll see people bust a box of $500 football cards, and you literally only get 6 cards in the box, but you have 32 teams, AT MOST only 6 ppl will get cards

it's high risk/high reward, and alot of fun

hopefully we can get more people

as far as sports cards, you're searching for the 'hit'...which most times is the autographed card or game-used memoribilia card. Depending on the box, you might get 1 'hit' per box or 1 'hit' per pack.

I just really want to do this MTG thing because I'm a lil ocd about condition...and you have ebay sellers saying a card is mint when it's most definitly not. you know at least by opening a pack the card is pretty close to, if not, mint
  • Options
    you would be surprised at how poorly starter-fresh alphas grade. i feel like only 10-15% if you are lucky get 10's (based on what i've heard) with only another 20% or so getting 9's and then a bunch of 8's. i opened one, but haven't sent anything in for grading, and my rares weren't centered.

dm
  • Options
    i'd probably want to do a Beta starter...its cheaper and easier to find
  • Options
    opening starters is hit or miss. i've opened 6 alpha starters over the past year and overall, and am pretty happy. that said, it's a real gamble. i lucked out and got a psa 10 mox ruby, which made most of the venture worth it. also, there is the fun of it. i've graded about 2/3 of the cards and sell off some to recoup and keep some.

i'm not a big fan of the group idea (too many factors out of my control), but i understand how it could be fun.

good luck with your sets!
    jasper
  • Options
    Hello,
    Welcome to you GodQuality86 image

I think if you start a set it s better to grade some card yourself.
    So you know if it s difficult or not to get the cards in PSA 10.

You can find any card in PSA 10 raw but not for the alpha.

Good luck,
    Bastien

Collecting MTG cards from Alpha to Antiquities.
  • Options
    Sorry Bastien, couldn't resist image

Take it easy,
    Jared
    "You consider me the young apprentice,
    Caught between the Scylla and Charibdes,
    Hypnotized by you if I should linger,
    Staring at the ring around your finger" - Sting

Ray Thiel (1964-2007) - the man who showed me more wonderful games & gaming sessions than I ever dreamed possible... you ran out of hit points too young, my friend.