Home Testing Forum

Mislabeled 1915

In my first post on this forum I would like to pass along warm greetings to all members and say thanks for all of the very informative posts that I have read over the years. I have been a CC member during those times, and I have quietly absorbed a tremendous amount of knowledge from the members of this forum as I observed in the background.

I have been a coin collector for over 50 years now, and I remember getting in change many of the coins that I would have to pay large sums of money to get today. I can remember when I saw my first Franklin half in 1948, buying a BU roll of 1921 Peace dollars for $80, and putting together a nearly complete Morgan dollar set from rolls of dollars that I got from the bank at face value. Of course, Mercury dimes, Buffalo nickels, and Indian Head cents could be found in your pocket change.

I have owned some major keys in all of the US coin series over the years, and at one time I had over 200 DMPL Morgan dollars, along with some key gold coins, which I lost due to the robbery of my home. I learned my lesson and now I keep the high dollar stuff in a bank security box.

One of the reasons for this post is that I would like to pass along a story that hopefully will be encouraging, and at the same time get your opinion on the subject.

About two weeks ago I was looking at some scans of PCGS graded $20 Saint Gaudens by a specific company, and was focusing on the 1915-S coins. As I reviewed the MS64-65 coins I noticed that one of the MS64s that was supposed to be a S mint according to the PCGS holder did not seem to have a MM. The scans from this company are not the best, but I thought that I would order the coin and see if a mistake had been made in the label. The coin arrived a few days ago, and sure enough, at least by my eyes with 20X magnification, it seems that the coin in the holder labeled as a 1915-S is in reality a 1915. Check the scans below. Sorry, not very good images, but the best I can do for now.

I know that a MS64, 1915 is hard to come by, and this one is a good MS64, not a low end one. It seems to have original surfaces, has never been cleaned IMO, no rim dings, no major marks, and good strike and luster.

Since I already own a 1915 should I send it back to PCGS for re-labeling, or keep it as an example that even the best of the TPG can make a mistake?