Home PSA Set Registry Forum

1953 Bowman Color

There was talk recently about that there may be soon four sets of 1951 Bowman baseball with set ratings of 8.00 or better. While this is impressive, I think even more impressive and interesting is what is going on in the psa registry with 1953 Bowman Color, arguably along with 1952 Topps the most desirable and sought after post-war sets there are and with the very difficult high numbers tough and expensive to put together in psa 8 or better.
Despite this, there are now 8 complete or virtually complete 1953 Bowman Color sets and 5 with graded set ratings above 8.00.
For those into the competitive aspect of this, Andrew Kaplan(who I do not know very well) appears on the verge of overtaking perhaps the four biggest vintage collectors there are--Merkel, Fogel, Branca and Louchios --for the number one spot with all continuing to upgrade their sets.

Comments

• VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    They are both impressive feats. The SMR for both sets is right at $73K for a PSA 8 set. However, at 324 cards, the 1951 set is just over twice as big as the 1953 set (160) and is IMO harder to complete for that reason alone.
  • I agree with Vargha that the '51 set is more difficult to complete because of the number of cards, but us '53 guys always have the distinction of owning/building the best looking set image

The Bowman Color sets that are registered are amazing. There are some unbelieveable sets there and more high grade cards are being graded - there is a PSA 9 Mantle on ebay now.
    "We don't own these cards, we just hold them for awhile." -- Jay of Quality Cards
    I have said it before and I'll say it again -- I think that the 1953 Bowman color set was 30 years ahead of its time. The photographs are stunning in their quality. The Reese card will forever be a classic.
  • Vargha - I just recently purchased the Reese card for my set. I got a decent deal on a 6 that is nicely centered, clean back, with one significant print dot. It has two corners which aren't great but I am very happy with the card. Acquiring this card was a big deal for me because it is what introduced me to the set. One day, I may just have to get the guts to go after that top spot.
    "We don't own these cards, we just hold them for awhile." -- Jay of Quality Cards
    Back in my foolish days (last year) when I harbored the illusion of someday owning every Bowman card in NM or better condition, I owned a PSA 7 Reese. That was a true beauty and I hated to let it go. I am glad I didn't get hooked on that set though, as it seems the competition is as fierce or worse for the 53's compared to the 51's.
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    There is no doubt that the 1953 Bowman Color set is one of the most impressive there is. They are one of the most beautiful and expensive vintage cards that are in the hobby. Absolutely amazing.

It is nice ot see you on the board, Davalillo -- I know that you have some truly nice vintage sets yourself.

I think the reason we haven't discussed this set more is primarily because no one that frequents this board is collecting it (Bruce Moreland being the only exception -- though he hasn't often discussed the set here). David will often opine on the 1951 Bowman set. I usually have some inane minutae about the 1955 Bowman set, and then there are a lot of the 1960s and 1970s set collectors that also frequent this forum.

The five people you mentioned with the 1953 Bowman Color sets in PSA 8 or better is absolutely amazing. Is the Sandlot Collection that of Don Louchios? Merkel, Fogel, Branca and Louchious have probably collectively spent more on this set than most people have in their collections! I don't know who Andrew Kaplan is, either. But those four all have some serious money in this hobby. Of note, three of those four are often the people who bid up the exceedingly "rare" issues if and when they surface in the public marketplace. Those are the people that you have winning sets like the 1968 Topps Pop-Ups (not sure of the set name, but the black background late 1960s Topps issue with 24 cards that sold for over $30K in Mastro), 1960 Leaf Big Head cards, etc. Real hobby heavyweights. I appreciate most the breadth of their collection(s). Must be utterly amazing.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Well, I see that Kaplan has taken over the #1 spot with the addition of his PSA 9 Durocher. Mr. Kaplan, if you read these boards, I would like to say congratulations on completing an unbelievable set and building the best known to man.

schmidty - Though I am a nobody, I would also like to point out that I do collect this set and have been for a short period (couple months or so).
  • Instead of starting a new topic, I decided that this might be a good place to post this question and maybe someone can answer it for me. Does anyone know why there are two Al Corwin cards in the '53 set? Was someone else supposed to take that slot and something happened? Maybe Davalillo, Vargha, schmidty, or anyone else can give me a history lesson.
  • Latest development in the world of '53 Bowman Color cards: Merkel has upgraded the Turk card and is now the finest set, but there is something strange going on here. Merkel's set rating is higher than his weighted GPA and his weighted GPA is lower than Kaplan's. Can anyone explain this to me?

Also, to those that emailed me concerning the Al Corwin cards - thanks. I still haven't found out the "real" reason for there being two separate cards.
    I have no answer on the Corwin card. On the Set Registry question, the answer is that the PSA programmers still have bugs in their program.