Home Precious Metals

Are 401Ks Safe?

I've heard a lot about what the FDIC can and can't do to save our money when a bank
goes under but what about our 401K money in the varied mutual funds?

I haven't heard anything about them being in danger of a run on cash, just the obvious
lose of money due to down stock prices (which can be greatly avoided by moving into bond
funds and Money market funds).

Reminds me - Do any 401K funds offer SLV or GLD ETFs?

What's the general consensus out there on the security of these types of funds and 401Ks
in general?

EDIT: I ask as there is always the option to liquidate them, (Our 401Ks) take the big tax wack
and buy PMs...

Anyone have an opinion?
Paul - saved by
The Fireman...

Comments

• roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 401K's are as safe as your trustee and the SPIC (a couple of billion in insurance coverage).

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • JoesMaNameJoesMaName Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭
    Should I take that as a "Depends"?
    Paul - saved by
    The Fireman...
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably some 401-K plans will let you invest in precious metal exchange traded funds, others won't.

Money market funds can lose value too - see recent news.

401-K plans are too different from each other to make a generalized statement as to their safety and growth potential.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,549 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your plan is safe, but the investments you have in that plan may not be.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Just this week the longest running (and first) money market mutual fund (the reserve primary fund) blew up.

Only the second time ion 38 years one of those had an NAV below the sacred buck.

Hopefully the recent government announcements will make all holders whole AND protect similar others.
  • 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Your plan is safe, but the investments you have in that plan may not be. >>