Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

NEW EBAY FEES TAKE AFFECT TODAY

If you sell a $1000 coin on ebay prior to today your final value fees would be about $38 along with a listing fee with a subtitle, gallery, bold for about $5. Total cost involved about $43 to sell a $1000 coin if you accepted a check- not bad at all. Now if you accepted paypal figure another $29 for paypal fees, so now you are up to $72 in selling expenses- now it is starting to get a little high. Now starting today, THE LISTING FEE FOR THE SAME $100O COIN IS ONLY .35 CENTS!! REMEMBER HOW EBAY MADE A BIG PUBLICITY CAMPAIGN ON HOW THEY WANTED TO HELP SELLERS OR THE LITTLE GUY OUT BY NOT HAVING THEM ASSUME TOO MUCH RISK WHEN LISTING ITEMS, SO THEREFORE THEY WANTED TO CUT LISTING FEES TO ONLY .35 CENTS? Ha, ha, ha ebay trying to help us out. Again, today if you listed a $1000 coin on ebay and it sold for $1000, yes all you would incur is a listing fee of .35 for a fixed price auction, but now the final value fee would be $91.50, YES $91.50 that is not a typo!!! Add in the mandatory paypal fee next month then you are looking at another $29 for a grand total of approximately $121 to sell a $1000 coin!!!! Again, you could sell a $1000 coin in the past, accept a check only and only incur $43 in fees. Unbelievable!!!! Even more insulting is how they acted like they were doing everyone a big favor by reducing listing fees while on the back burner is this big final value increase that they weren't out bragging about. I know why they made paypal or some other form of electronic payment mandorty is because with fees at these levels now more and more sellers would try to eliminate Pee pee Pal on large transactions because the ebay final value fees were damaging enough. good luck to everyone selling expensive coins on ebay and if you can make a decent profit with ebay and paypal fees of $121 on a $1000 coin then you have some good sources to get coins pretty darn cheap.

Comments

• Options
    Well that sux.
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    unless you are a power screwed where you get 20% off.
  • Options
    SELL MORE STUFF ON THE B/S/T --- BAN THE BAY!!!
    MSgt USAF Jan-06 - Present
  • Options
    CoinlearnerCoinlearner Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭
    image........That is what is going on. Today I sent an email to them about a high FVF. To sell a $1600 item they want $74.98 .Thought mistake on their part. Did not list item.
  • Options
    If we listed an item yesterday do we still get slammed with the high FVF?
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    Gave up on the 'Bay. Seems like everything I ever listed on there sold for half what it was worth before the fees. This was before the most recent fee increases. I have a nice PowerSeller certificate from them and some memories. On to the next new thing, whatever it is!
    Successful BST purchases from: WaterSport, commoncents123, Hyperion, mozeppa, Mar327, coinlieutenant, Placid, MFH, fishteeth, FilthyBroke, SilverEagles92, illini420, barberman55, pcgs69 (2x) & 123cents

History of the US Constitution Coin Set
  • Options

<< <i>unless you are a power screwed where you get 20% off. >>

Even more of an insult, a BIG 20% off when they jack up the prices to where it is more than double to sell a coin and then act like here as nice people we would like you to have this 20% coupon. Also this .35 listing fee bs is going to have every other person and their brother listing everything under the sun. At .35 there is little risk involved and at 35 cents listings for each type of coin will go up and create saturation. Listers will begin to cut each others price and prices overall will fall in my opinion.
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    They are getting greedy indeed.
  • Options
    sell it at heritage. what do the charge?
    "Everyday above ground is a good day"

• Options
    OK looks like it is only for Buy it Now. The auction format fees stay same. image. Will just have to start "auction" at my sell price
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    If you don't like the fee schedule for FIXED PRICE, don't list FIXED PRICE. The change has no impact on auctions or BINS.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>OK looks like it is only for Buy it Now. The auction format fees stay same. image. Will just have to start "auction" at my sell price >>

There you go, actually reading the policy change. Shame on you. You're supposed to yell and scream about nothing.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Scratch that place off the list.

• Options

<< <i>image........That is what is going on. Today I sent an email to them about a high FVF. To sell a $1600 item they want $74.98 .Thought mistake on their part. Did not list item. >>

Based on my calculations the new final value fee for a $1600 coin would be $103.50. 12% for the first $50, 9% for the next $950, and 2% for the remaining $600. Am I missing something here? I hope I am and that your $74.98 is correct.
  • Options
    It is 6% for the $50.01-$1,000.00. The 9% you're using is only for the "Clothing, Shoes & Accessories" category.

The FVF for a $1000 coin would be $63.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>image........That is what is going on. Today I sent an email to them about a high FVF. To sell a $1600 item they want $74.98 .Thought mistake on their part. Did not list item. >>

Based on my calculations the new final value fee for a $1600 coin would be $103.50. 12% for the first $50, 9% for the next $950, and 2% for the remaining $600. Am I missing something here? I hope I am and that your $74.98 is correct. >>

.....That is Ebays figure not mine..75 for a 1600 buy it now. They show you fee before I commit to list
  • Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I figure there will be a lot more overpriced fixed price junk, being that the listing fee is small, and the only risk is if someone actually buys it at grossly inflated prices (to cover grossly inflated commissions).
  • Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

I was listing coins last night and I noticed that after midnight the cost of "bold" went from $1 to $2 and the price of a "border" went from $3 to $4. eBay is great at nickel-and-diming their sellers.
  • Options
    Ok, I stand corrected, it is for fixed price auctions only, but I'm still lost. I go to the ebay fee page and here is what i'm reading 8.75% for the first $25, plus 3.5% for the remaining between $25.01 and $999.99, plus 1.5% for anything over $1000. Now a gentlemen posted earlier that he would incur $74.98 for final value fees on a $1600 coin. My calculations would be $2.19 for the first $25, $33.25 for the next $950, and $9 for the remaining $600. This all adds up to $44.44, whereas he is claiming ebay is quoting him $74.98. What am I missing here???
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>sell it at heritage. what do the charge? >>

5 %
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>Ok, I stand corrected, it is for fixed price auctions only, but I'm still lost. I go to the ebay fee page and here is what i'm reading 8.75% for the first $25, plus 3.5% for the remaining between $25.01 and $999.99, plus 1.5% for anything over $1000. Now a gentlemen posted earlier that he would incur $74.98 for final value fees on a $1600 coin. My calculations would be $2.19 for the first $25, $33.25 for the next $950, and $9 for the remaining $600. This all adds up to $44.44, whereas he is claiming ebay is quoting him $74.98. What am I missing here??? >>

...I believe you are reading the auction fees format which is listed first....Go down the page and you will see the Buy it now fees, which are alot more
  • Options
    Coinlearner, thanks, that clears everything up. I never paid attention to my invoices and I never knew there were so many different rates for different types of selling formats.
  • Options
    Just use Coinzip auctions Down with FEEbay
  • Options
    moosesrmoosesr Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭
    How do the new fees compare to Teletrade and Heritage for a $1000 coin?
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Most auction houses charge the seller 5% or whatever but the buyers also pay a fee (often much more).

Ed
  • Options
    stop the whining - do ya need some cheese to go with it??

don't sell on ebay- so what.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe it's time for another Boycott image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,966 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NEW EBAY FEES TAKE AFFECT TODAY

Uhhhh, that would be effect

Remember the spelling/grammar thread??? image
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    I am one of the few that really like EBAY, but even i think the fees are getting out of line. I can not see what has been a big change for them to need to jack the fee's up. Not like they are a trucking company. I just looked and i have done over 60k in sales this year. It adds up fast. I did about 3 times that last year. I do not have to have EBAY but i do like it.
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    we need to AFFECT a change.

we hope that change has a beneficial EFFECT.
  • Options
    I noticed an option for 30 days and "good til canceled" (huh? really?)
  • Options
    I listed a coin at fixed price of $1750 and the FVF is $78. When you look at the new cost schedule make sure your looking at the "everything else" column. 12% for first $50 6% up to $1000 equals $63 for $1000 FVF. Over $1000 is 2% for my coin 2% of $750 is $15 equals $78 total. I actually like this new price for the coins I have. I have nothing I'm desperate to sell and I can list a couple things I will only sell if I get all the money for 35 cents a month and I just figure the FVF and paypal in my asking price. I can list these two coins for about $8 a year. If they sell great if not who cares. I suppose if I have something I really want to sell I'll use auction format.
  • Options

<< <i>I noticed an option for 30 days and "good til canceled" (huh? really?) >>

I like the good til canceled option for fixed price listings.
    Crazy old man from Missouri
  • Options
    jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭
    Seems to me that the fixed price auction permits the seller to easily factor the fees into the fixed price. If the fees are too hefty, that will chill sales and revenues.

• Options
    do other countries have the same ebay fee structure as we do here in the USA?

you know, I suspect it's like the cost of prescriptions in foreign countries, we pay a LOT more than many other countries do.
  • Options

<< <i>I listed a coin at fixed price of $1750 and the FVF is $78. When you look at the new cost schedule make sure your looking at the "everything else" column. 12% for first $50 6% up to $1000 equals $63 for $1000 FVF. Over $1000 is 2% for my coin 2% of $750 is $15 equals $78 total. I actually like this new price for the coins I have. I have nothing I'm desperate to sell and I can list a couple things I will only sell if I get all the money for 35 cents a month and I just figure the FVF and paypal in my asking price. I can list these two coins for about $8 a year. If they sell great if not who cares. I suppose if I have something I really want to sell I'll use auction format. >>

Agentjim, I went through this yesterday and I was never aware that there was different fee structures based on which auction format you use. I came to realize that if you have a coin that you know is hot and will sell at your price then you should use an auction format and in your case do sometihng like this: starting bid $1729 and a buy it now of $1750. This way you basically get the price you want and your final value fees will be based off an auction format which would be 8.75% for the first $25 and 3.5% for the next $950. This is alot cheaper than the the final value fees for the fixed price format. Of course, your risk for the fixed format is only 35 cents, but for the auction format it would be $5 or $6 for a listing fee. Again, it just depends in how confident you are in selling a coin at the price you want.
  • Options

<< <i>I noticed an option for 30 days and "good til canceled" (huh? really?) >>

As you may have expected, they have deceptively worded this. They offer a 3o day listing with a auto relist and recharge. You can't list an item forever until sold for 1 fee.
    Crazy old man from Missouri
  • Options
    wayneherndonwayneherndon Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭
    Today, I cancelled my store subscription, cancelled my Auction Manager subscription and downgraded my Blackthorne subscription from Pro to Basic. All this will save me about $80 per month (close to $1000 per year). Sure feels good.

WH
  • Options
    I get that Ebay is trying to increase revenue, but boy these folks are making decisions that are likely to just drive away sellers by the drove.

I think the 10% RIF is good, but the execs aren't batting a very good average.
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Today, I cancelled my store subscription, cancelled my Auction Manager subscription and downgraded my Blackthorne subscription from Pro to Basic. All this will save me about $80 per month (close to $1000 per year). Sure feels good. WH >>

I'll be cancelling my store too (I think). Are fees in the store the same as fees for BIN sales?

Wayne, I've tried to tell ebay that there just isn't enough margin in the coin business for them to take 10% and they told me to "change my business model". Their thinking is that there should be about 100% markup from wholesale to retail and they want 20% of that which is 10%. --jerry
  • Options
    wow, that's quite a high percentage there.
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    All this ingeniuity is more than likely THE Major contributing factor
    behind ebay being poised to lay off 1500 employees (10% of their
    work force!)

What a buggy race! It's difficult to decide who is more stupid -
    the Geniuses that dreamed up these formulas for the slow death
    of ebay or the so-called "highers up" that bought into these
    nonsensical ideas.

Yeah - let's strip sellers and render them totally defenseless -
    HELL, let's even TELL buyers they can say whatever they damn
    well please with NO FEAR of repercussion! Let's make PeePal
    the buyers' friend whereas sellers can lose their merchandise
    AND incur chargebacks as well. RIGHT! Yep .... this is REALLY
    going to encourage sellers to throw more expensive Mchdse
    out onto the Auction block! Ingenious, I say! Ingenious!!

All the buyers in the world are proving to be of such great value
    to ebay RIGHT NOW, while overall Quality of mchdse has steadily
    deteriorated - FANTASTIC! If you abuse your sellers and they
    drag up, you end up with a whole bunch of buyers with NOTHING
    to buy!

Brilliant, I say ... BRILLIANT!

RIGHT!

RECIPE FOR DISASTER!

• Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    time for ebay to go belly up. seems like they are screwing buyers & sellers both ways these days!

google auctions, anyone???

K S
  • Options
    Nothing is going to happen with fees until you guys who continue to sell there stop it.
    Advanced collector of BREWERIANA. Early beer advertising (beer cans, tap knobs, foam scrapers, trays, tin signs, lithos, paper, etc)....My first love...U.S. COINS!
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Nothing is going to happen with fees until you guys who continue to sell there stop it. >>

And people won't stop selling there as long as that's where all the buyers are looking.

Classic Catch-22 situation making this a classic "natural monopoly" business to be in.
  • Options

<< <i>time for ebay to go belly up. seems like they are screwing buyers & sellers both ways these days!

google auctions, anyone???

K S >>

I say coinzip.com who just typed that?
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    I'm trying to get things listed on coinzip but encountereing a few technical diffiiculties. I'll try again this weekend. --Jerry
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    You know, I get the whining. Really, I do. In fact, I've been known to engage in whining about eBay from time to time as well; in fact their incompetence and complete lack of customer service almost mandate it.

But the fact is that for certain types of collectibles there is no alternative with anywhere near the amount of traffic. eBay *IS* the big dog.

People clamor that sellers should use the BST, Amazon, Coinzip, etc., etc., and that's all well and good, but those sites attract a fraction of the eyeballs that eBay does, and frankly, listing every item you want to sell in multiple sites is just a pain in the butt and more things to keep track of... remembering to delete an item from sites Y and Z after you sold it on site X. Fuhgeddabowdid.

This is especially true if you sell and ship a lot of things internationally. Most of the best prices I get are pieces that are "going back to the Motherland"... buyers in Europe that are willing to pay a significant premium over U.S. buyers, if for no other reason than the Euro/Pound is doing so much better than the U.S. dollar, so my moon money price winds up being reasonable after the exchange rate.

Not going to find that on the BST.

So for all those hoping that eBay goes belly up, if that does happen, there are a lot of sellers, dealers, and collectors that are going to be a lot worse off for lack of an audience for their wares...

[Of course it's somewhat ironic that the very market that eBay historically has served the best (obscure collectibles from mom & pop sellers) is the very market that eBay wishes to close down...]
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I'll have a travelling coin show where you brothers can set up your tables. I'll bring a big tent, you bring the guns and coins image

Uh huh, we'll show the world who's got orbs.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file