Home Precious Metals
Options

Fed holds rates, market drops, what happens to PM's?

imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?

Comments

• Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    Downward Drift.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    Appears to me that no matter what happens, PMs continue to drop. If the trend continues, soon they will have gold at silver prices.
    Crazy old man from Missouri
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Appears to me that no matter what happens, PMs continue to drop. If the trend continues, soon they will have gold at silver prices. >>

and silver at copper

the funds rate actually fluctuates and is not held steady by what the Fed does....it tends to hover. yesterday it spiked, sparking the rumors, some liquidity was added to the market (we all know what that is) and the rate hovered near the Fed rate again....therefore nothing happend

• Options
    The market has been crazy today, rallied after I posted the OP. One thing I see overall, and not sure if it's really related, but no matter what happens, oil has come down. My personal feeling was it was run up for no good reason, and it is just coming back to where it should be. But if you look at the last week, Hurricane? Oil comes down. Massive power outages? Oil comes down. Major Bank failures? Oil comes down. Major market plummets throughout the world? Oil comes down. PM's seem to be following suit, at least on paper still.
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    There is good reason for oil dropping with the market's turmoil. If the ecomony goes bad then oil consumption/demand decreases.
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    Oil comes down. Massive power outages? Oil comes down. Major Bank failures? Oil comes down. Major market plummets throughout the world? Oil comes down. PM's seem to be following suit, at least on paper still.

And yet the price of gas here has jumped to an alltime high . . . For no good reason.

Regards, John
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The metals will continue to slowly drift down. The FED and the powers that be are being merciless..... shaking the tree with all they have to get the last holders on to drop, and the silver to fall out of their pockets........
    ----- kj
  • Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Fed is fairly predictable, they will raise or lower rates for long term trends. They are now holding the Fed funds rate, and when the economy shows any signs of a recovery they will begin to raise rates for a long term. Who knows when this will happen, but it will happen and when it does the dollar will strengthen which is always bearish for PM's. With US interest rates flat for a couple of months, other countries have lowered their rates to prevent recessions, which has caused the dollar to strengthen since July, thus PM prices have dropped in USD.
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    They Go UP!
  • Options

<< <i>Oil comes down. Massive power outages? Oil comes down. Major Bank failures? Oil comes down. Major market plummets throughout the world? Oil comes down. PM's seem to be following suit, at least on paper still.

And yet the price of gas here has jumped to an alltime high . . . For no good reason.

Regards, John >>

John, there is a damn good reason. The bulk of the US oil refining is temporarily out of business and assessing the damage.

A 22' wall of water moving at 60-70 miles an hour will do that to an industry.

I wouldn't be surprised to see $7 gas in some places for a while yet.

At least you can still buy it, no such luck in the refining capitol.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff