Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

PCGS 1916 PR66BN

Just got in the late night mood to send a little brown magic.....

Comments

• Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    way too sexy for brn and soo stunning and crisp are the details...what an image...thanks for sharing duane
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    Well, I appreciate that. I was just in the mood to throw a coin or two out there for public enjoyment. It sure does make me wonder what an original 1916 looked like coming off the presses in those years. I've owned a few "Red" 1916s, and one looked great, but some of them were worked over, IMHO. Too brassy and unnaturally 'new' looking. That is in no way a slight on Reds, as some of them are breathtaking in their beauty, and the details they show are hard to replicate. And a RB or BN coins can be worked over as well as a red. To see Stewart's 'Reds' in Baltimore was an experience of a lifetime. Nothing but 'original' red there, for sure.

But on this coin, take some of the silver-green tint off of this coin's patina, and I suspect it may be what the original surfaces might have looked like. But we may never know. But most important, it gives me a kick looking at it. Irrespective of what the plastic may say, not bad for a 'Brown" coin, at any rate. This one would fit into Stewart's 'colorless' coin catagory, if we had it for MPLs. I'd prefer that the catagory be called 'toned' instead of colorless. Matter of opinion.....

Duane
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    Fantastic coin! Looks all original to me image
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NICE. I tell you, If I were a collector back then, I'd gladly have spent the ten dollars and bought the entire mint run of them.

It's so nice to see rims

• Options
    Yeah-It would be cool is we could see the MPLs in the slabs that allow a viewer to visualize the rims. I'll bet they shine image
  • Options
    Compare with the mint-state rims (also from a Tru-View holder), from a coin dated just a year later........

Amazing?!

• Options
    MarkJudeMarkJude Posts: 355 ✭✭✭
    Duane - that is a very nice looking 1916 - I think of all the mattes, the 1916 looks the best. I love the crispness of each strike.

Mark
    I'm here to learn a little something...
    Mark's Mattes
    Mark's Cameo SMS Set
    Mark's Non-Cameo SMS Set