Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Clad Roosie roll hunting

Hey Roosie fans! Just curious about roll hunting for clad dimes? The early dates are over 30 years old. How many of these are still sitting in bank vaults and dealer inventories? If so, where can I find some?

Comments

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Erwindoc,

I hunt rolls of clad Roosies routinely...and if I told ya where I get them, I would be giving up a secret thats as old as the colonel.

Try eBay, but stay away from the original 1965-date Roosie rolls.

Like my double talk?

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could never find these in 36 years of looking. If I didn't get
    them in the year of issue then I mostly went without. There
    are some dates that I've simply never seen.

For the main part it's no great loss since quality tends to be
    quite poor. Some are easier than in the mint sets to find clean
    but then they'll usually be poorly struck from worn dies.

Later dates sometimes are better.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    Read this and remember it. I'll try to save you the money and the trouble I went through when I learned this the LONG HARD EXPENSIVE WAY...

"ALWAYS" stay away from tubed rolls. I don't care how many times the seller swears they are unsearched. If they were taken out of the wrapper, then they were searched. If they say they were taken from mint bags without searching them, again they are lieing.
    If they don't show both ends when selling wrapped rolls, theres a good chance they opened one end, then rewrapped it.
    This usally shows up as one end wrapped tight and the other thicker or uneaven.
    Beware older dates rolled in newer wrappers listed as OBW. "THEY LIE"
    Say you just finished going through a bank box of coins. What now? "DON'T" take them back to the bank unwrapped. WHY???
    Because they will dump them into the rolling machine and guess what? Yep, presto, there is a box of bank wrapped rolls for the next collector to toil through, with no luck. It's the part I hate, but rewrap every roll by hand thus stopping all those rolls from going out as OBW to the next dufuss that comes along.
    My final piece of advice... Get a second job, make more money, forget about rolls, and buy the coins you want. Life will be easier.
    Dan
  • Options
    ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭
    Expect to find LOTS of crappy rolls.....they are BU rolls but they look like someone threw them out on the road and let cars drive over them for a day before putting them back in rolls! Seriously, its amazing how bad quality control was for many of the 70s and 80-s rolls. Expect lots of disappointment.........and an occasional needle in the haystack!
    Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been trying to find OBW rolls of silver and early clad.

Note Dan50's remarks very clearly:

ALWAYS" stay away from tubed rolls. I don't care how many times the seller swears they are unsearched. If they were taken out of the wrapper, then they were searched. If they say they were taken from mint bags without searching them, again they are lieing.
    If they don't show both ends when selling wrapped rolls, theres a good chance they opened one end, then rewrapped it.
    This usally shows up as one end wrapped tight and the other thicker or uneaven.
    Beware older dates rolled in newer wrappers listed as OBW. "THEY LIE"

To his comments I will add:

Many "OBW" rolls have ends that look good, untampered with - except for one thing - the ends show a type of crimping that wasn't around 30 or 40 years ago - It's too good and it has a segmented look on the inner diameter of the tuck and is very tight. Those are NOT original rolls, even if the paper is original.

Dan's observation that if the ends are uneven or thicker on one end - that's a highly suspect roll. I've been sold rolls that were in older flat wrappers that someone crimped as if they were original shotgun rolls. Very disappointing.

His last remark - many "OBW" dates are found in newer wrappers that didn't exist when the coins were made. The sellers of these rolls are merely taking advantage of younger collectors who simply don't know the difference.

All of these scammers should be prosecuted for fraud and banned from ebay (as if THAT would ever happen).

Finally, even if the roll looks good, and the ends look right - if one end is even somewhat loose - it has been opened and searched. There's just no escaping that fact.

I've been reduced to playing roulette on ebay with sellers that I sense are not professionals - just to get a shot at original coins. Hard to find - yep. I do check the seller's prior feedback and the types of stuff that they've sold in the past. If they aren't selling coins very often, then I get a little more interested in how the roll photos look.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    jmski52 That Roosie icon looks nice, well except for the crunchy rims...
    Dan