Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

From the Mystery Box II: Ceylon Counter-Thing w/Vicky

After 53 years of collecting darkside, along with building a pretty first-rate numismatic library, I don't have a lot of mysteries in my "vast holdings," ho ho, but when I do, they're doozies!

I call this a "counter-thing" because it's not a mark or a stamp ...it's a little PLAQUE...brazed right onto the host coin.

Have any of you come across this? Any clues as to what those initials might mean?

Again, my great thanks in advance!
Tom

I never pay too much for my tokens...but every now and then I may buy them too soon.

Proud (but humbled) "You Suck" Designee, February 2010.

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm. Fascinating.

Looks like it could be an official mark/seal of some kind, if it is a legitimate thing and not some concocted fantasy.

That's pretty intriguing, I must say.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    i can only speculate to any of it

but i'd start with travel/tourism, tea, or arts and crafts companies contemporary with the coin in Ceylon

maybe any of the C's are Ceylon or Colombo, the J could be for Jaffna???

No idea really though, good luck!!!
  • Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    accj also stands for American Chamber of Commerce in Japan, I'm not sure of how that could link in, if at all
  • Options
    Thanks, Colin...that's all I could find on Google too.
    Best ~
    Tom
    I never pay too much for my tokens...but every now and then I may buy them too soon.

• Options
    Bumpin' it up...