Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Coins of the British Commonwealth - Nightingale Island.

Some of you will be pleased to know that I have finally got this small place represented.

I have got a 2005 1 Crown medal-coin,which depicts the late Queen Mother wearing a blue dress.There is a series of 5 medal-coins,all of the 1 Crown denomination.

You can find them depicted here.

Here's an article about Nightingale Island.

Aidan.

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So where is Nightingale Island in relation to St. Helena? I've sailed past St. Helena.

(Seen it from afar, but never went ashore- I wish we could have).

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Robertson.
    Nightingale Island is actually part of Tristan da Cunha,as is Gough Island.

Although Tristan da Cunha is thousands of miles off Africa,it is constitutionally part of St. Helena.

The Administrator of Tristan da Cunha reports to the Governor of St. Helena.

Aidan.
  • Options
    So I gathered from the Wikipedia page, but the map they gave didn't show much of its relation to St. Helena, geographically, only politically.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Tristan da Cunha archihpelago, including Nightingale Island, is far to the south of St Helena - 2500 km (1500 miles) away.

All these islands are in the mid-Atlantic; St Helena and Ascension are roughly halfway between the eastern tip of Brazil and Angola. Tristan da Cunha is roughly halfway between the Cape of Good Hope and Uruguay.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    Steve,
    Thanks for explaining the geography of where Tristan da Cunha is in relation to St. Helena.

The only way to get there is to catch a ship that is heading there from Cape Town,which is the nearest place to Tristan da Cunha.

Aidan.
  • Options
    I was on a ship sailing from NY to Cape Town, which is why I remember passing St. Helena and/or Ascension Island.

• Options

<< <i>I have got a 2005 1 Crown medal-coin,which depicts the late Queen Mother wearing a blue dress. >>

OK, I'll bite... How do we know it was a blue dress? Just like HMS or is it... HMS? Now, Just for the ship collectors/buffs out there... AMB is for Italian Navy ships, USS for American and HMS for the Royal fleet... Who can tell us what USS, AMB and HMS actually stands for? I am now interested in some tokens, ship medals and other artifacts I found on the 'bay while looking up AMB and HMS and USS for my own personal edification... There is some pretty cool stuff to be had out there and could become interested in a hurry!

imageimage

Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    signal I get for the most
    part. Go figure...
  • Options
    Rick,
    Have a look on the website of the Commonwealth Mint,which is linked up in the first posting.

Aidan.
  • Options
    Be careful Rick, it can be addicting........................just ask meimage
    Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
    e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com
  • Options
    Wayne,
    Coin collecting is an addiction alright - but it is a positive addiction though!

In my case,I'm addicted to British Commonwealth banknotes,coins,postal orders,& traders' currency tokens.

Aidan.