Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

2008 Business Strikes - Maintaining The Integrity

SF / BS Stuff

PCGS should continue to be on high alert to ensure that submittors of raw (out of the mint set) SF coins not be given business strike status as this coin obviously was. Good job dbldie55 as well!

Wondercoin
Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

Comments

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMHO, this will be a serious problem as long as the Mint intends on producing the Satin Finish sets.

I search 2005-date dime rolls just for the BS and I can tell you that from time to time, I run across a suspect dime that really has the satin look to it. I have to wonder if the mint just dumps coins where ever they want.

In the past I have run into the SF/BS problem, but PCGS has fixed all problems. My problem is that I have to PAY to have them fix their mistakes.

PCGS need to have a policy in place that if its their error, that they should pay all return shipping...its only fair.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    It's definitely trouble for the registry set collectors who put a lot of effort into finding real non Satin examples.

I too hope PCGS starts paying more attention to these kind of details.

I am wondering if maybe the linked e-bay auction was not just a mechanical error and maybe it was supposed to be a Satin label?
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't see where this coin was ever in the POP reports as a business strike? image

It wasn't there yesterday or today in the total POP report. But,,,,, if you check the cert it shows this:

COIN INFORMATION
    Cert Verification #: 12596031
    PCGS Coin #: 394915
    Date, mintmark: 2008-P
    Denomination: 5C
    Variety:
    Minor Variety:
    Mint Error:
    Pedigree:
    Grade: MS67FS

So was it just graded and won't show up until Monday?

GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a question.......WHY DID THE MINT START DOING SF COINS IN THE FIRST PLACE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mint sets are for collectors.........If we don't like or want these coins.......can we do anything to get the mint to return to the original BS coins in mint sets??????????????????

WHY IS THERE A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT COIN IN THE MINT SETS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????????????????

Personally I don't care one way or another which goes into the Registry sets, BUT I DO NOT like to have to get twice as many coins each year!

I personally think it is stupid to have the two finishes anyway!!! All it has done is cause trouble for us as collectors and PCGS has to deal with the problem of miss labeling them!!!

It's ALL downside with NO upside?!?!?

What is the deal?!?!?!?!
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,334 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have a question.......WHY DID THE MINT START DOING SF COINS IN THE FIRST PLACE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mint sets are for collectors.........If we don't like or want these coins.......can we do anything to get the mint to return to the original BS coins in mint sets??????????????????

WHY IS THERE A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT COIN IN THE MINT SETS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????????????????

Personally I don't care one way or another which goes into the Registry sets, BUT I DO NOT like to have to get twice as many coins each year!

I personally think it is stupid to have the two finishes anyway!!! All it has done is cause trouble for us as collectors and PCGS has to deal with the problem of miss labeling them!!!

It's ALL downside with NO upside?!?!?

What is the deal?!?!?!?! >>

It is a real shame to have no ready source for superior examples of
    business strike coins. Most collectors don't have access to current
    BU rolls any longer and the mint doesn't sell some denominations so
    there's no access to good quality coins.

This has to be discouraging to many small collectors.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    The BS/SF screw-up just happened in the Kennedy pop as well. The 2008-D B/S MS67 pop just went from 4 to 24...an entire box of 20. I will guarantee these are S/F coins. There will be some very disappointed buyers when these go to market.
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It is a real shame to have no ready source for superior examples of
    business strike coins. Most collectors don't have access to current
    BU rolls any longer and the mint doesn't sell some denominations so
    there's no access to good quality coins.

This has to be discouraging to many small collectors. >>

This is exactly the problem I have run into. I actually spoke to the U.S. Mint director at the Milwaukee ANA and asked him why the Mint doesn't sell ALL denominations, and he actually said that there is no interest in it. Its is our Mint, so we should be able to buy what we want. Don't you think?

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dave: I personally slabbed the (20) 08-D Kennedy Half Dollars in MS67. They are all business strike coins. The quality ranges from average to super high end (one coin is a no question MS68 I believe which I intend to have reviewed later in the year). I believe carlsbadeagletrader is marketing a few coins on ebay right now. I got in an incredible batch of rolls from the Mint - this after about 3 months of constant rolls of coins with absolutely nothing in them above an MS66 grade. Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭
    Great score on the D MS67 Kennedy’s!!! We made the first 3 or 4 D MS67's coins as well as the P MS68 and have not been able to repeat but the hunt is not over. Many great coins out there yet to be found.

• Options
    Super score for the 08 D's Kennedy's Mitch. I may just get that 67 yet - My PM is openimage

Dan
    U S Navy Retired 22 years - ENC(SW) Ret. - Travling Nuclear Maintanence Contractor - Working Indian Point Nuclear plant Buchanan New York

">Franklin Halves
    ">Kennedy Halves
  • Options
    Mitch

I stand corrected...Congrats on the 2008-D's...that's a great score.

Any luck with the P's? Nick and I went through 1500 looking for a 68...and although we found 3 or 4 we believe are worthy...PCGS called them 7's
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks guys. Same results for me on the P - I have a total of (5) coins now that are above the rest in terms of quality, but "no go" for MS68 (yet). That MS68 threshold is very tough to obtain - hats off to Michael for achieving that one! Wondercoin
  • Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    Maintaining The Integrity

Who should we blame??? How about the ones we pay good money to grade and slab our coins??? Money well spent???
    Dan