Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

My 1st Poppage - 6 freebies

PSA popped my submission cherry. Sorry about large image size. That's the size I used when I uploaded to photobucket.

1 1 14054700 NEAR MINT+ 7.5 1969 TOPPS 260 REGGIE JACKSON Card US
2 1 14054701 NEAR MINT 7 1985 TOPPS 401 MARK McGWIRE 1984 USA BASEBALL TEAM Card US
3 1 14054702 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1989 SCORE 257 BARRY SANDERS Card US
4 1 14054703 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1984 TOPPS 63 JOHN ELWAY Card US
5 1 14054704 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1984 TOPPS 123 DAN MARINO Card US
6 1 14054705 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1986 FLEER 53 MAGIC JOHNSON Card US

image . image . image . image . image . image

Comments

• Great Looking Jackson RC!

Congrats!
    PoppaJ
  • Nice freebies. Your images are sized perfectly.

(And welcome to the boards).
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweeeeeet Reggie image
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Love that Jackson Card, Nice!
  • Thanks guys. I just checked the Pop report on the Reggie. Right now it's at 1. I'll probably have it up on Ebay in a few weeks, but for now I'm enjoying it.
  • RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭
    I think they were too harsh on the Magic Johnson. Why not a 9?
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Very nice.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Red, I want to know the same thing. It looks almost flawless to me. It has a small green print bubble above the basketball, but other than that I can't see anything wrong with it. I guess I need to buy a UV bulb for my Mag-Lite and check the surfaces.
  • DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭
    Good cards to send in on the freebies.

<< <i>I think they were too harsh on the Magic Johnson. Why not a 9? >>

That's what I was thinking. Magic looks like the nicest card of the bunch. Maybe it's that little fisheye?
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • nam812nam812 Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think they were too harsh on the Magic Johnson...... >>

Agreed, but I also think they were lenient on Jackson and McGwire.
  • nam, I was expecting a 7 max on the Reggie. The 7.5 was a pleasant surprise. On the McGwire I didn't notice the tilt until I scanned it in. I gave it a quick once-over and threw it in the card saver. I might resubmit the Magic if more of you veterans have the same opinion.
  • VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭
    It's funny. These are the first grades to pop and be scanned for us in awhile where I think pretty much everything was graded appropriately.
  • nam812nam812 Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>nam, I was expecting a 7 max on the Reggie........ >>

• otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>nam, I was expecting a 7 max on the Reggie. The 7.5 was a pleasant surprise. On the McGwire I didn't notice the tilt until I scanned it in. I gave it a quick once-over and threw it in the card saver. I might resubmit the Magic if more of you veterans have the same opinion. >>

Great looking cards.

The two things that I notice are that the McGwire also has a lot of "snow." They won't hit you as hard for the tilt as they will for the PD. It's fairly graded at a PSA 7. The Magic Johnson also appears to have a hit to the lower right corner and the lower left seems to "hang" a bit. The green "fisheye" wouldn't be enough to drop the card to a PSA 8. Heck, I've seen PSA 9's and PSA 10's with worse "eyes" than that. If the bottom corners are better than they appear, then it's a definite crackout candidate, although I'm not sure how much upside there is versus the cost of resubmitting. I'm guilty of having little clue with regard to basketball prices and I'm too lazy to look it up.
  • fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    Nice sub, I too like the Reggie.
  • fujfuj Posts: 559 ✭✭✭

<< <i>nam, I was expecting a 7 max on the Reggie. The 7.5 was a pleasant surprise. On the McGwire I didn't notice the tilt until I scanned it in. I gave it a quick once-over and threw it in the card saver. I might resubmit the Magic if more of you veterans have the same opinion. >>

At first glance, that Magic card definitely looks undergraded. Double check that bottom right corner to see if there is a slight ding - that looks to me to be the only place where there might be a potential flaw.
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭
    yeah great looking reggie

congrats and welcome
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Here is the Magic with a black background. Thought this might set off the border better. Also included a scan of the back. Thanks again for all the honest replies.

otwcards, I think the price difference is only about $20-$30. Nothing too outrageous. This set seems to be on fire right now. That's one of the main reasons I sent it in.

Edit: All, I noticed that some of the pics in other threads have the PSA serial number blacked out. Should I do this in the future? Thanks.

image . image
  • RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭
    Ok, yeah, that white on the lower right makes the difference. Still, I think the centering is unimprovable.
  • PoppaJPoppaJ Posts: 2,818
    ..... Edit: All, I noticed that some of the pics in other threads have the PSA serial number blacked out. Should I do this in the future? Thanks.

Kevin,

Blacked out Cert numbers prevent swindling sellers from using them in their fraudulent auctions.

Usually the higher ticket card certs are used, but I've seen lower ones too.

It's your call ....

Personally, I never black 'em out.

PoppaJ