Home Sports Talk
Options

the OFFICIAL 2008 Notre Dame run to a bowl game victory...

well it wasn't pretty but they won
1-0

we'll see if there are enough ND fans here to keep this going all year, i know there will be enough ND haters to keep it going, i'm sure. i hope they go to a bowl game and get a win, its been a long drought. they need to take a step forward this year.
Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

Comments

• Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    Charlie Weis is a big fat loser, but I do wish Notre Dame at least some success. The rivalry with USC is much more fun when both teams are highly ranked and have much at stake.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Weis needs to have a great year but I just don't see that spark that is required. I would like to see them win 8 or 9 games, but I have my doubts... serious doubts

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Good start to the season. I had a more enjoyable time watching this season's opener than last year because I didn't have high expectations this year. I was a bit uncomfortable watching them struggle with San Diego state, but, I didnt' even have to hit the high blood pressure pills, and there were some bright moments compared to early season last year. Much rather see them get a W, then play a great game and get a loss. Clausen looks much more comfortable and it was great to not see him lying on his back. His accuracy looked like it improved over last year as well. I've never been a fan of those floaters to the end zone, but other than that one int., he looked pretty good. I don't hold the INT against him for the one that bounced off the receivers hands, as that was a nice pass. I liked seeing him throw to the middle of the field this time a few more times than last year. I believe they should attack the middle and not the sides to get big plays.

Still worried about the running game. Armando Allen seems like he goes down way too easy, has some nice speed though. Robert Hughes looks a little slow, but seems to be good for at least a couple yards every carry. So much different from the days of Bettis, Anthony Johnson, and Reggie Brooks all just running wild and OVER people.

If they continue blitzing all the time, they HAVE to find a way to get to the QB or they will be getting burnt for huge plays this year. Every blitz is the potential for a "hot" receiver to get a TD on a quick cut.

Looking forward to the Michigan game. Hopefully they can get some redemption this year. Should be a competitive game in my opinion. Will be nice to move a step closer to the all-time winning percentage with a victory over Michigan. Was even excited to hear the announcer mention Bruno's Pizza during the final couple minutes of the game That was and still is my favorite pizza.

Go Irish!

Mike
    UND Class of '93

Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    Go Notre Dame! I wish them much success this year.
    --->imageimageimageimage<---
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    well i think we'll find out where ND is this weekend against Michigan. they say the biggest improvment a team makes is between the 1st and 2nd games of the year so we shall see.
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

• Options

<< <i>well i think we'll find out where ND is this weekend against Michigan. . >>

While Michigan is always a big game with ND, Michigan is really down this year.
  • Options
    I really don't know what think about the Michigan-ND game this year. This really is not the big historical rivalry folks think... the ND games with Michigan State, Purdue, USC and even ARMY are more important in terms of the history of college football. Both teams need an offense.

• Options
    JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I really don't know what think about the Michigan-ND game this year. This really is not the big historical rivalry folks think... the ND games with Michigan State, Purdue, USC and even ARMY are more important in terms of the history of college football. Both teams need an offense. >>

I agree with you on the historical terms of the team rivalries. I think alot of it is built upon the fact of these two teams are the leaders in all time wins and winning percentage. This fuels the rivalry. I still will never forget which really started me into the rivalry. 1989. #1 ND at #2 Michigan. What a awesome game. That was the glory days!
  • Options
    Go Irish! Beat Michigan! At the game today they are honoring the 1988 National Championship squad and dedicating a statue of Coach Holtz, so hopefully this years team will be inspired and play with heart.

In the spirit of recognizing the 88 team, here's my son, Max, and Tony Rice, QB of that squad.

• Options
    Great picture Mike! Tony Rice is awesome. Not sure about the game today. We have had a few inches here in Chicago and its worse down in South Bend. The forecast today is more heavy rain. What a shame about the weather for the guys getting honored today.
  • Options
    a good win today!! both offense and defense looked good today.

2-0 on to Mich st.

i like tony rice, what a great team
    Fred

• Options
    a good test for the irish this weekend in lansing but i think they are playing well right now and have a good shot to beat them

here's to hopefully 3-0 after this weekend.
    Fred

• Options
    well very inconsistant on offense today and way too many turnovers. 2-1 not a bad start but need to win the next to get some momentum going again
    Fred

• Options
    Jimmy Clausen still has a way to go, he will get better but very erratic today.
  • Options
    from your lips to god's ear

i think he will get better and his receivers will get better as they go on, they are all freshman and sophmores nad i think 1 upper classman.
    so as they grow so will clausen, i hope.
    Fred

• Options
    3-1 this is a solid start. i think Clausen is getting better and better every week. let's hope it continues.
    Fred

• Options
    4-1 another nice win over decent stanford team. Clausen is looking better every week a real nice game this week almost 350 yards and 3 TDs.
    Fred

• Options
    Winning builds alittle confidence and that will help as the season progresses. The ND program is a work in progress and I have a feeling that they will decline a bowl bid unless it is something decent.

• Options
    i think they will take the bowl bid they get, they need to win a bowl and they are in no position to decline a bowl game let alone skip the extra month of practice. they don't need a BCS game and get run over again, i don't know if that would happen but given the track record recently, a minor new years day bowl and a win would be great. i would take a bowl game toward new years as long as it is winable.
    Fred

• Options
    Nice to see them throwing down the middle. Good game today. I never felt the outcome was in debate.

Anyone know how many games back we are from catching Michigan in the all-time winning percentage again?? Last year hurt significantly in that category, but this year we've already picked up a couple.

Mike
  • Options
    4-2 now with a winable game this weekend.

they should have beat NC and just rolled over in the 2nd half.
    Fred

• Options
    not a good loss to pitt. pitt is a good team but ND shold have won that game. it was dissappointing
    Fred

• Options
    Tough loss. I knew we were in trouble in ot. Could not stop Pitts running game all day and they have a good kicker. We needed some luck and it ran out with our kicker. Still optimistic for this year. Clausen,Tate and Floyd are going to be very special and going to be fun to watch for awhile.
  • Options
    Tough loss to Pitt guys. I didn't watch until late in the game but I saw the score in the beginning and figured you guys had it well in hand.......

Kind of off topic but I was just looking through the USF athletics website and found this on a link to future schedules:

Oct. 1st, 2011 USF @ Notre Dame

If both teams stick with the contract, Goot will be roadtrippin' it for sure! Hopefully by then USF's recruiting will be a lot better and we'll have a much better season than we are right now.
  • Options

Oct. 1st, 2011 USF @ Notre Dame

Thats cool goot! That will be a experience you will never forget! image
  • Options
    i like that ND is starting to play other teams so they can recruit in their areas.

Fred

• Options
    another loss, very sad. the defense played pretty well but they need to get things going now!!
    Fred

• Options
    Yep, this was a very poor performance. I remember when I used to live and die with the outcome of the ND game, as I fully expected and didn't want to accept any less than for them to win. Now, it hardly even fazes me anymore when we lose. Perhaps that's the best testament I can give to the current status of Notre Dame football. The mighty have fallen and they need to get their act together over the next few years and become what they used to be.

Mike
  • Options

<< <i>Yep, this was a very poor performance. I remember when I used to live and die with the outcome of the ND game, as I fully expected and didn't want to accept any less than for them to win. Now, it hardly even fazes me anymore when we lose. Perhaps that's the best testament I can give to the current status of Notre Dame football. The mighty have fallen and they need to get their act together over the next few years and become what they used to be.

Mike >>

i couldn't agree more!!
    Fred

• Options
    well it was a win
    Fred

• Options
    Got the requisite 6 wins now for one of the lower tier bowls. Any rumors on which one it might be?

Mike
  • Options
    not that i have heard but i hope it is one we can win!
    Fred

• Options
    looks like a potential gator bowl if they can split these last two games. I like to travel to the bowl games but that one is on Jan 1 and I have to be in Texas to be sworn in that day.

Mike
  • Options
    mike, what are you getting sworn into??
    Fred

• Options

<< <i>mike, what are you getting sworn into?? >>

6th term as County Auditor for Ellis County, TX. Each term is only two years. I graduated from Notre Dame in May of 1993 and began work as 1st Assistant Auditor in June of 1993. Became County Auditor on January 1, 1999 and have held that ever since. I thoroughly enjoy it most of the time, but the politics would drive a sane person crazy image

Mike
  • Options
    Weis needs to join the ranks of the unemployed.

Mike
  • Options
    The heat is really on Weis after losing to Syracuse.
  • Options
    unbelievable!!!! i can't believe they lost to SU

i was actually sick to my stomach
    Fred

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Mike,

Maybe Charlie Weis can be the new 1st Assistant Auditor?

Doug
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

<< <i>Mike,

Maybe Charlie Weis can be the new 1st Assistant Auditor?

Doug >>

With the way I've seen him handle the media, I don't think I'd hire him. image

Mike
  • Options
    can they keep it within 30 against usc? this is the only game i hope they win every year and sadly it hasn't happenen lately.

GO IRISH!!
    Fred

• Options
    I've got the Irish and 32 points for a nice sum of $$$ so I hope they keep it within 30 image

Mike
  • Options
    mike
    i was thinking of taking the points too, but i can see a 45-10 or a 55-10 score without a chance of a backdoor cover.
    i hope they beat them outright, i know but i can dream can't i? i htink the defense can play with them but the offense ahhh.
    Fred

• Options
    I figure we score at least 21. One offense generated TD from a long TD pass, one short TD caused by an USC turnover, and one short score either by special teams or setup by special teams. So, if that happens, then USC will have to hang 54 up to beat my spread and I just don't see that happening. Might though!!!

I'm rooting for the win, but realistically I just don't see that, but I've seen much stranger things happen in Notre Dame games over my lifetime, there's a reason they play the game, anything can happen.

GO IRISH!!!
  • Options
    ND may not accept a Bowl invitation

• Options
    I would like to see the bowl's NOT invite us, even though we are bowl eligible even with a loss. Hopefully that would send a message to the administration to do something about Charlie. 9 yards in the 1st half, an absolute embarrasment to the University's football program.

Mike
  • Options
    Betting on Notre Dame? Tonight? Your constituents should petition for a recall election.
  • Options

<< <i>Betting on Notre Dame? Tonight? Your constituents should petition for a recall election. >>

Betting with the spread, not straight up, huge difference, but probably not going to matter. Easy to take potshots in the 3rd quarter.

• Options
    Oh well, I only lost tier one of the bet, we had a sliding scale that started with a spread of 32, then the next cut was 36, 40, 44, etc. Thankfully we only lost by 35 so I stayed in tier 1. We also had tiers in the other direction, that would have won at 28, 24, 20, 16 etc. Makes it fun and every point counts.

Seriously on the performance, totally lacking in all facets of the game. Would prefer to start over again with someone else, other than the direction Weiss is going in. I'd like a young, hungry coach, other than someone coming in with credentials. I hope they say "Thank you for graciously extending an invitation to the Sun Bowl, but our program is not at the level it needs to be in order to be representative of the high standards demanded by the Notre Dame family. Therefore, we must decline the invitation at this time, and wish you the best of success in fielding a quality matchup in the 2008 Sun Bowl."

Then let go of Weiss and begin to fix this mess that we've been living with the past 13 or so years again.

Mike
  • Options
    Dude, it's been easy to take potshots at Notre Dame all year, but it's almost a case of "Why bother?" Having attended USC during the lean years of Larry Smith and John Robinson II, I can attest that national irrelevancy is more painful than mediocrity on the field.

The spread was big, but I can't see how anyone could've taken a totally heartless Notre Dame team. After the collapse against Syracuse, you had to see that coming. Of course, it might actually be a blessing in disguise. I'd imagine the pressure on Weis is a bit more intense this morning than it was at this time yesterday.