Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1948 Leaf FB Question

I'm trying to figure out if PSA will acknowledge the number/color variation of card #38 Frank "Boley" Dancewitz. I have this card with Yellow, Green, and Blue numbers. Currently, PSA does not list a variation of either of the three in the 1948 Leaf Master Set.

Is it worth the time to submit the variations and list them as such hoping that PSA will agree and add them to the variations list or is it a lost cause?

Currently, my Yellow number is en route, but here are the Green (in a PSA 4) and the Blue, yet to be submitted.

Thoughts? Opinions?

BTW, the Yellow is a solid color and the Blue and Green are separate matrix that are overlaid. The Green tends to have little or no Blue while the Blue tends to have little or no Green. The Yellow has no Blue or Green. The blue, although appearing "smeared" is legitimate and not an alteration.

** Edited to add the "BTW" paragraph.

Comments

• Options
    Scotty
    I would think they would make that a variation all day long

Look down the master 48 leaf set

You have your classic BNOF's vs WNOF's,
    Mispelled names, #13 Lujack, #33 Harber/ Harder
    Nickname variations, #19 Geo McAfee,
    #16 Pihos has a different jersey # color variation (like what you want to add)
    #22 Van buren has different jersey variations

And actually one of the best looking cards in the set, # 77 Geo Savitsky with the not green stripe variation (mint state has one up right now, sweet looking card, hands off though image )

BTW, that raw Franky D on the right looks like a solid 7 man, very nice

joe

• Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Scotty
    I would think they would make that a variation all day long

Look down the master 48 leaf set

You have your classic BNOF's vs WNOF's,
    Mispelled names, #13 Lujack, #33 Harber/ Harder
    Nickname variations, #19 Geo McAfee,
    #16 Pihos has a different jersey # color variation (like what you want to add)
    #22 Van buren has different jersey variations

And actually one of the best looking cards in the set, # 77 Geo Savitsky with the not green stripe variation (mint state has one up right now, sweet looking card, hands off though image )

BTW, that raw Franky D on the right looks like a solid 7 man, very nice

joe >>

The "Blue" Dancewitz is a super strong PSA 6 and could easily be in a PSA 7. I'm thinking of doing a sub with all three Dancy variations. They'd have to see the differences, then. I have another 12 or so to send in and there are a couple that will get 7's, including Wistert, Dewell and Fischer. Just had some decent Leaf poppage on another dozen, although I was a little disappointed in the George "Gorgeous George" McAfee variation. I'll post images when they're in hand.
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    The variations need to be recognized in a guide like SCD or Beckett before PSA will label the variations. Get the guides to list it and PSA will label it. There’s a lot of variations in 1948 due to printing inconsistencies that aren’t cataloged and new ones are still being discovered. Until you can get them listed as legit variations in the tradtional price guides they’re just collectible examples of print mishaps.
  • Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    Not sure why they wouldn't recognize it, unless it is super rare and not documented. It shouldn't be any different than the Pihos variation.

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    shouldabeena10shouldabeena10 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I would think they would make that a variation all day long >>

Joe, There you go thinking logically again!

You've obviously never run into PSA's highly trained L.K.V. Department ... aka: (Logic Killer Variations Department).

Scott, I'd suggest you just start banging your head against a brick wall now to save yourself some future frustration. image Seriously though, as others have mentioned .... if the variations have not been recognized in any of the major guides, your chances of getting PSA to acknowledge them do drop down drastically. It's not impossible, but it usually takes persistence.

Mike

BTW - Great looking cards!
    "Vintage Football Cards" A private Facebook Group of 4000 members, for vintage football card trading, sales & auctions. https://facebook.com/groups/vintagefootball/
  • Options
    nearmintnearmint Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
    Here's another variation that I don't see listed. I suppose they would consider the card on the right the yellow jersey number version, but the color of the numbers and of the football are clearly different between the two cards.

imageimage
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Here's another variation that I don't see listed. I suppose they would consider the card on the right the yellow jersey number version, but the color of the numbers and of the football are clearly different between the two cards.

imageimage >>

If you look at them under any magnification, you'll see that the yellow is solid, just like the blue and red backgrounds, but the "green" and "blue" used for the numbers and jersey stripes is a matrix. My contention is that this addition of matrix color is a legitimate variation as it had to have a separate color application applied to it and not ust some color distortion. The green and blue are added colors and the yellow is the absence of any added color. Since PSA acknowledges the Thompson and Pihos "blue" numbers, I would expect that they would honor the Dancewitz "blue" number while perhaps ignoring the "yellow" and "green" variations as they do on the Pihos and several others in the set.