Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Have any of you who have consigned coins to auctions houses.....................

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
.................... ended up having a problem arise with the consignment that resulted in a bad outcome for you as a result of the one sided [in favor of the auction house], draconian language contained in the auction house's consignment agreements?

For example your consigned coins were lost, damaged or stolen while in the possession of the auction house and your compensation is limited to 20% back of wholesale, sight unseen valuation based upon grades assigned to the coins by a slabbed by a first tier TPG [PCGS or NGC only] or alternatively for raw coins or non first tier slabs, based upon grades assigned by a third person designated in advance by the auction house.

Comments

• Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    My only bad experience was with SG.

Everything sold cheap. Got a check for half the stuff. Called to find out what's up and they said someone defaulted or did not pay. They agreed to return the items, Legend agreed to buy them for more than SG originally sold them for then SG said they can't return them because they sold them to someone else after the fact for the original auction price. I then had to call Legend and say sorry. image

Last time I ever deal with them.
  • Options

Hi does anyone know anyway what compensation the auction house will pay if they lose my coin?

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cozi said:
    Hi does anyone know anyway what compensation the auction house will pay if they lose my coin?

Read the entire auction agreement carefully. They are written to protect the auction house. If you don't like the terms don't consign.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    WalkerloverWalkerlover Posts: 713 ✭✭✭✭

@BECOKA said:
    My only bad experience was with SG.

Everything sold cheap. Got a check for half the stuff. Called to find out what's up and they said someone defaulted or did not pay. They agreed to return the items, Legend agreed to buy them for more than SG originally sold them for then SG said they can't return them because they sold them to someone else after the fact for the original auction price. I then had to call Legend and say sorry.

Last time I ever deal with them.

Who is SG?

• Options

@291fifth said:

@Cozi said:

Read the entire auction agreement carefully. They are written to protect the auction house. If you don't like the terms don't consign.

Thanks for the reply! They said they will pay me compensation, but they are waiting for the insurers to determine. They told me to send with their free return label that the shipment is insured with.But the very coin for which we agreed for a lot of money, do they insure at the price that was agreed?

• Options
    edwardjulioedwardjulio Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

Who is SG?

Probably Superior Galleries.

End Systemic Elitism - It Takes All Of Us

• Options
    BikergeekBikergeek Posts: 210 ✭✭✭✭

I would also like to know, "who is SG?"

My worst experience was that I had a number of lower-value coins sell at GreatCollections. One of my MS66 Roosevelt dimes sold for $3. As the auction house's fees were attributed, it turned out that I owed something like 25 or 50 cents. So a lot that I thought I'd make $12 or $15 on, I ended up paying for someone to take the coin off my hands.

To be clear: I'm not blaming GC for this. In fact, as a buyer, this is the kind of cherrypick that I love to find! And for this to have been my "worst" experience, I recognize that I've been lucky! (Oh, I've lost or made money according to the market and the bidders, so I'm not counting other experiences where I lost more than I paid... that's just something that happens to collectors on occasion!)

New website: Groovycoins.com Capped Bust Half Dime registry set: Bikergeek CBHD LM Set

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cozi said:

@291fifth said:

@Cozi said:

Thanks for the reply! They said they will pay me compensation, but they are waiting for the insurers to determine. They told me to send with their free return label that the shipment is insured with.But the very coin for which we agreed for a lot of money, do they insure at the price that was agreed?

The only way you can get an answer to that is to contact the auction house and ask them directly.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

I let GC talk me into a 60% starting price on a few coins. Lost a grand on an 09svdb ms65rb on a slow auction night. A lot to consider when consigning coins with anyone.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

The original reference to SG was made in 2008, when the thread was started. @BECOKA hasn't been on since 2016.

• Options
    ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 777 ✭✭✭

I sold off a bunch of foreign on GC about a year ago. It turned out to be a mixed bag. Some went for less than expected, others more. Overall the results were alright.

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sold a bunch of high grade Lincolns through GC, kinda got killed overall. Similarly, I sent an Auctioneer friend a run of nice raw Washington's that should have been $25 and up, I specifically asked for them to sell early in the auction. They were first and went for peanuts. These are the kind of experiences that make you want to attend auctions, so I can't complain. Some days just aren't your day.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file