Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

5 in a row ~ half dime related

CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
This is what I've got in the 1832 LM5 reverse die state progression study department. Not very much but more than most I suppose. I need to get some EDS coins for sure. Aside from the fascinating reverse die the beauty of the 1832 LM5 is it's common as dirt and most often is just as cheap. From time to time you see a premium when the reverse die state gets really advanced but that's about it. Makes it pretty easy to aquire them for a study.

Comments

• Options
    Realone, you have a '32 LM5 don't you? Post a pic, in fact everyone post a pic of any '32 LM5 they own. This could be a fun thread if we get enough replies/pics.
  • Options
    Absolutely awesome thread and great pics of the die progression. I am looking for mine to post. Thanks for a great thread, Cladiator.
    "College men from LSU- went in dumb, come out dumb too..."
    -Randy Newmanimage
  • Options

Mine appears to be an early state of the LM-5 befor the retained cud began to develop. You can see the beginnings of the loops of S1 starting to fill. The lower loop of S-2 has not yet filled, and the die crack from the right wing to the arrow shafts has just started to develop.
    -Randy Newmanimage
  • Options
    I searched for this excellent thread after my electricity came back and was amazed that no one else had posted to it- anyone else have an LM-5 to contribute? Barndog? Realone? DeusExMachina? (Oh, wait- I got yoursimage) JrGMan? MrHalfDime?
    -Randy Newmanimage
  • Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm sorry that I am unable to post any images of my coins at this time (I just can't seem to find any of that digital film up here in the woods of Maine), but I can give you a list of the examples that I do have of the 1832 LM-5/V8.

[as there is but one marriage (no remarriages) for this variety, I have listed them according to the Reiver die state sequence]:

VEDS AU-58 (perfect dies; S1 not filled)
    VEDS EF-40
    EDS EF-40
    EDS G-6
    a AU-58
    a VF-20
    b VF-25
    c AU-53
    c EF-40
    c EF-40
    c VF-25
    d AU-58
    e AU-50 (retained cud)

I do have one other EF-40 example, but its die state is undetermined, as it has been fashioned into a watch key long ago. A very interesting piece.
    They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've got a decent one in the SDB, but won't have pictures of it until later this year, early next
  • Options
    ttt so Barndog can post his new one!
    -Randy Newmanimage
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    Is today half-dime thursday? image
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options

<< <i>Is today half-dime thursday? image >>

Every day is half dime day! image
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424

<< <i>

<< <i>Is today half-dime thursday? image >>

Every day is half dime day! image >>

So now we have the roosie and MPL forum (Registry) and the half dime forum, wheres the liberty nickel or seated dollar forum? image
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>ttt so Barndog can post his new one! >>

looks like mine fits in as coin #1 in Cladiator's progression

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file