Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Well bought a collection. Hockey and baseball mainly.

I'm sure i'll be posting pics etc.. down the line. I'm getting over 1000 beckett's including the #1 baseball issue etc.. Old newspapers.
Some 1950, some 1960 hockey sets. Complete run off OPC hockey from 1970-2000 something
Baseball Topps complete run from 1968-2003
Then off course there are singles galore. He had boxes galore of items and some hard to get subsets from various years. Look at this way. I have to take the seats out of my minivan and i still will not fit everything. I'm going to have to make 2 trips, maybe more. There are Orr and Howe autogrphed cards pulled from wax. Not sure what year but i think it's when they first started reproducing the retro cards. I think the Howe and Orr's were limited to 600 each.
I think i might need people help with some of the cards because first off i don't collect baseball and for the hockey i pretty much deal with pre-80. I know i don't want the becketts so if you collect them LMK. I know shipping would be alot thought. He has the first 1000+ issues all in mint or gem mint condition in the protectors.
The pre 70 hockey are mostly ex-ex/mint with some higher for the sets. As for the 1970 hockey (OPC) all are nm/mint to gem mint with very falling below nm/mint. I never really looked to much at the baseball because i don't know jack about it. I'm sure there will be alot of worthless junk in alot of the boxes but as for the sets they have been stored in binders for years. The person i bought the collection off of is in his late 70's or early 80's.
Price i paid ? 17,000.00 Canadian. Wish me luck as i will be selling most of it. I'm 99.999 percent i got a great deal but that .001 percent always is bitting you in the back. This is my biggest purchase so i was very very nervous. I haven't picked them up yet because the bank is not open till Tuesday. Hope i find some forgotten gems in the boxes.
I know the #1 baseball beckett is worth some money. There is some racing and some basketball and football as well.
I'll keep you updated when i finally get them.
I know i am pretty vague on the description but LMK what you think of the price and approx. what i'm getting. I need that .001 percent to go away !! lol
Steve
Die Hard Toronto Maple Leafs Fan !!

Comments

• Options
    Forgot to mention that the hockey has the WHA sets for all the years and all sets have the sticker , booklets etc... as well
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    great job. will be curious to hear what diamonds "in the rough" you may pull out of this. post some scans.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    To maximize your money you will need to get your key cards graded from those sets and try and get all low pops graded as well. You might have to put a ton more capital into this before you start to see some profit.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steve, you always know what you're doing and I'm sure you'll do fine with this as well. I might be interested in a couple of the mid-late 70's baseball, so when the dust gets settled, shoot me a pm. We can talk about what the condition is like. I trust your eye and you know if I have to come up with a few hundred, I just cry to my wife until she gives in and I buy what I want!
    Nice pickup and good luck!

Tim
    Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a great pickup!
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    If there's any OPC baseball in there (or Canadian baseball oddball) PM me. I'd be interested.
    Do You Collect image Baseball 1937,1965-94,2008-09?
    Or Regional Canadian Baseball Issues?
    Come be a contributor to the OPC Baseball Wiki. It's free and easy!
    OPeeChee.Wikispaces.Com
  • Options
    goyegoye Posts: 454 ✭✭
    Congrats ezy........wish you well on your find.......goye
    1985-86 O Pee Chee PSA 910 Hockey
  • Options
    Thx, the hockey is what i am mostly now the prices on. The 1971 and 1972 OPC hockey sets especially are really really high grade. By the time i get graded just these 2 sets i think there is a minimum of 8,000 dollars. The cards are just that nice. Alot of the 1970+ hockey are getting graded. I'll probably have 3000-5000 cards to get graded eventually. For the baseball i'll be pulling some star cards from each set and of course some regular cards just so people can get the idea of what condition they are in. If the 1970's baseball are in just as good condition as the hockey then there will be mostly 8's and 9's and off course a few 10's from each set. Once i get things down in my basement i'll be taking some pics just to show people how much cards i'll be going through. All the sets are in binders so that's not a problem. There's got to be at least 1000 pounds with all the becketts and binders and pages etc... not including the weight of the cards. He even had old newspapers when the presidents got killed etc... Not even sure what those would be worth either.
    I'll post once i get things settled.
    Thx Steve
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations on the pickup Steve and good luck on the sale.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    When might we see some pics. Love to see the condition of the old hockey stuff!