Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does anyone know of a 1955 Reverse R variety Quarter?

Supposedly it was written up in Coin world years back. Any info appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not offhand, though it sounds like the kind of questionable die variety/error Frank Spadone might have listed in one of his catalogs. Anybody got one handy?
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    There was once some excitement about a 1955 Type B quarter found in circulation. It was quite circulated and the consensus finally settled on an escaped proof as the culprit. It was mentioned in Coin World's Collectors' Clearinghouse.
  • Options
    I found my 1974 6th edition of Spadone.
    The reverse "R" Quarter is listed for both 1955 and 1956. 1956 is illustrated. It is a die break from the loop of the 9 towards the rim. It really does look like a mirror image "R".
  • Options
    Do they list a price for the coin? Any error experts out there who can put a valuation on such an item>

Dave
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,559 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I found my 1974 6th edition of Spadone.
    The reverse "R" Quarter is listed for both 1955 and 1956. 1956 is illustrated. It is a die break from the loop of the 9 towards the rim. It really does look like a mirror image "R". >>

It is annoying that I can remember stuff like that, but can't remember why I walked into the other room just now......
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    it is just a senior moment...do they list it in other error books?
  • Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It is annoying that I can remember stuff like that, but can't remember why I walked into the other room just now...... TD >>

Me too!!!!
  • Options
    <<Do they list a price for the coin? Any error experts out there who can put a valuation on such an item>>>
    Spadone had 3 columns for prices - Good, Fine and Unc.
    These reverse R quarters, he only listed in fine as $2.75 each.
    A normal 1956 was listed as .90 in unc and a normal 1955 at 2.25 in unc. Again only the one grade listed.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I found my 1974 6th edition of Spadone.
    The reverse "R" Quarter is listed for both 1955 and 1956. 1956 is illustrated. It is a die break from the loop of the 9 towards the rim. It really does look like a mirror image "R". >>

It is annoying that I can remember stuff like that, but can't remember why I walked into the other room just now......
    TD >>

You are getting old and cranky- take your meds and think- life is always better on the other side of the 'L'...
  • Options
    And these were his prices in 1974? I wonder what they would fetch today. Basically it is a coin with an interesting die break, right? I tried searching for it on Coneca but no luck...
  • Options
    <<Basically it is a coin with an interesting die break, right?>>

Right.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file