Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I just received a pretty old Lincoln wheat cent in change, which has not happened to me recently

LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
The Longacre Estate sits adjacent to a very large dairy farm, and the farmer also runs a really tasty ice cream shop on the property. The shop is very quaint, and the milk used comes from the cows at the farm, which adds some ambiance to the whole experience. Last night, I made a quick run to the shop, and purchased a scoop of "Mocha Mahem", which is mocha coffee ice cream, with oreo cookies, and drizzled with fresh caramel. The price was $2.95, and I paid with $3.00. I received five pennies in change, rather than a nickel.

I was pleasantly surprised when I noticed that one was a wheat Lincoln cent. After checking the date, it was a 1927, and I graded it a solid Fine. In fact, I would probably sticker the coin at that grade. When I looked it up in the recent issue of Coin Values, it indicated the Lincoln was worth $1.50! I was in a frenzy to find a Lincoln from the 1920's in pocket change, and because my ice cream was essentially have the price.

Personally, it has been quite a while since I received a wheat Lincoln in change, and I cannot recall getting one of such an early date. There's no question in this thread image, but I just wanted to pass along the fact that it is still possible to collect coins from change.
Always took candy from strangers
Didn't wanna get me no trade
Never want to be like papa
Working for the boss every night and day
--"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Comments

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could you rephrase the OP in the form of a question? image
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,610 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just as a chimpanzee would eventually type out the entire Holy Bible just by just randomly banging away at a typewriter keyboard...so too should it be possible to put together an entire run of Lincolns, 1909 to date, out of circulation.

Both feats would probably take the same amout of time.....
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    It's a week later, and I went again to the ice cream shop (it's one way to keep Mrs. L happy image. I got two more wheaties in change. A 1935 and a 1952! I think they are seeding the register!
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭
    i admit it....it was me.
  • Options
    They spent $5 on a roll of better date Lincolns and have sold $175 worth of ice cream since. It's a gimmick. Watch for major retailers to soon throw their hat into the ring.
    Witty sig line currently under construction. Thank you for your patience.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have lots of old wheaties sitting around, under appreciated. So occasionally I spend some just because I know someone will be surprised. I'd probably be thrilled to get my own wheatie back in change! Simple things amuse me, I guess.
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe the owner or a relative of the owner is a dealer and has finally found a use for all those wheat cents that come in with collections! imageimage

That Mocha Mayhem ice cream sounds great! Can you send me a sample? image

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you need to ask them to look in the drawer for more.

I once got two grubby War nickels in change at a convenience store, and asked the clerk what else was in the drawer, and when seven or eight more appeared, I asked if they were coming from rolls, and they were. We had to wait on the time-release safe, but I went home with several rolls that were solid 1930s and 1940s Jeffies, most of them Warnickels. The coins were black and a little greasy, like they had been in the bilge of somebody's old boat, but I'll take any silver I can get at face value!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry. What is this thread about? I couldn't really concentrate after "a scoop of "Mocha Mahem", which is mocha coffee ice cream, with oreo cookies, and drizzled with fresh caramel." image
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh the humanity.

144 million 1927 cents get made with tens of millions of survivors sitting
    in collections and protected by modern storage techniques while the last
    of the 1984-D cents rot away in circulation.

I don't mean to rain on your parade so much as to point out that for many
    collectors there is a much bigger parade that has been going on a long time
    even if it isn't often so loud. image
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options

<< <i>... with tens of millions of survivors sitting in collections >>

And exactly how did you come up with this survival figure?image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file