Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Appraisal requested: check out my new balls

2 total

True story--The Rose I got in 1992 at a golf course grand opening in Austin Texas attended by Rose, THE Say Hey Kid and THE Yankee Clipper!!!! DiMaggio actually held it in his left hand ready to sign then saw the other sigs and wouldn't do it. DiMaggio hit the opening shot--a standup double (sweet draw) right down the middle!! Willie and Rose hit fades--left to right. Rose had just got out of jail.

The "Yankee" ball I found last week at a antique store in Ardmore, Oklahoma. Pretty cool ball huh????

OK--first ball (fist two images) just the one sig...then the Rose ball is with the last two sigs. Quick question--the "Yankee" one--isn't that (the ball itself) like super rare??

Anyway--I'd like to know how much you guys estimate I could get for both of them on ebay!

Thanks!
TO

Comments

• Nice BALLS!?!?! You should get them cleaned..... somebody scribbled on them.image
    succesful deals :richtree, Bosox1976, Bkritz, mknez, SOM, cardcounter2, ddfamf, cougar701, mrG, Griffins : thanks All

Go Phillies

• << <i>Nice BALLS!?!?! You should get them cleaned..... somebody scribbled on them.image >>

hah hah hah james--you should be a comedian!!!image
  • PoppaJPoppaJ Posts: 2,818
    JMO but I doubt if the balls would bring much to the table.

The Rose sig is the only halfway decent one ....

Hunter sig is a 5 at best and fading fast ....

Can't tell who the next sig is ....

Not sure who would want a Frank Tanana sig especially as a 2nd or 3rd sig?

Both balls are badly stained.

Probably not worth sending them to PSA/DNA.

I'm pretty sure the Wilson Yankees ball was available in stores, not rare at all.

Wish you the best though!

PoppaJ

• nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can see Rose, and I can see Tanana, but who is Fore Gubin?
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    no, no. i don't think that's right. Puce Galur.
  • Did you play a game of catch with both of those balls? Probably not worth much as you can get a mint Rose ball for less than $100 from his website.
  • thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Fore Gubin is Rod Carew.

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Mac53Mac53 Posts: 805

<< <i>I can see Rose, and I can see Tanana, but who is Fore Gubin? >>

Fore Gubin invented the call "Fore!!!" when a golf shot went awry.
    Jeez!! I thought everybody knew that.

Trivia: for several years, golfers yelled "Gubin!!!" when they hit a bad shot, but it just didn't work out so well. Hence, "Fore!!!"
    "Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well."image
  • The one before Tanana says "Foo Galen"
    Nolan Ryan & Edgar Martinez are my favorite players...
    mosaic's Nolan Ryan Basic Topps registry set
    mosaic's Big 3 Nolan Ryan Run Showcase

• << <i>Fore Gubin is Rod Carew.

Mike >>

Yep--Mike is corrct: ROD CAREW--HOF baybee!!

So basically I've got 2HOFers and a ball that you could get down at Woolworth's for a couple bucks and you guys are telling me I haven't got Jack Squat??!!!??? Don't forget--Joe D handled the Rose ball--doesn't PSA do DNA???image Seriously--when is the last time any of you have seen an "OFFICIAL LEAGUE" Wilson NEW YORK YANKKEES **** ball with a Cork and Rubber Center with an Official Leather Cover?? HMMMM?? Signed by Catfish frikking Hunter??? They're not making any more of those!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• your balls are very dirty. maybe you can have somebody tbag them clean?
  • PoppaJPoppaJ Posts: 2,818

<< <i>

<< <i>Fore Gubin is Rod Carew.

Mike >>

So basically I've got 2HOFers and a ball that you could get down at Woolworth's for a couple bucks and you guys are telling me I haven't got Jack Squat??!!!??? Don't forget--Joe D handled the Rose ball--doesn't PSA do DNA???image Seriously--when is the last time any of you have seen an "OFFICIAL LEAGUE" Wilson NEW YORK YANKKEES **** ball with a Cork and Rubber Center with an Official Leather Cover?? HMMMM?? Signed by Catfish frikking Hunter??? They're not making any more of those!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >>

Ball #1 ... Catfish Hunter's fading signature on a dirty ball with no authenticity = $20-25, maybe a little more to a die-hard Yankees fan. Somehow, the fact that DiMaggio had the ball in his hand, just doesn't entice my interest as much as if he actually signed it. The sentimental value that you have for this ball doesn't necessarily transfer into value to others.

Ball #2 ... Rose, Carew, and Tanana, multi-sigs on a dirty ball with no certification = $30 maybe. Maybe if it had 3 HOFers instead of 2 and a nobody, it might be more appealing to a Rose fan, since he's on the sweet spot. But like DR J pointed out, you can get a mint Rose ball for less than $100 from his website.

No matter what, there's only one way to actually find out ..... List it and let others decide. Who knows, there may be someone out there that's willing to pay a nice price for them.

Good luck!

PoppaJ

• << <i>

Mike >>

So basically I've got 2HOFers and a ball that you could get down at Woolworth's for a couple bucks and you guys are telling me I haven't got Jack Squat??!!!??? Don't forget--Joe D handled the Rose ball--doesn't PSA do DNA???image Seriously--when is the last time any of you have seen an "OFFICIAL LEAGUE" Wilson NEW YORK YANKKEES **** ball with a Cork and Rubber Center with an Official Leather Cover?? HMMMM?? Signed by Catfish frikking Hunter??? They're not making any more of those!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >>

Send them off to PSA/DNA (The 3 sig ball will cost you $75 plus slabbing) get them certified and then sell them on Ebay. When they don't sell or sell for much much less than expected, come back here and post another thread about how surprised you were these balls used in a T-Ball game didn't let you retire early. image
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Mike >>

Send them off to PSA/DNA (The 3 sig ball will cost you $75 plus slabbing) get them certified and then sell them on Ebay. When they don't sell or sell for much much less than expected, come back here and post another thread about how surprised you were these balls used in a T-Ball game didn't let you retire early. image >>

I wouldn't bother sending it off to PSA/DNA. All the signatures on there are common ones and any savy collector is going to know they are legit. Plus you'll never recoup your PSA/DNA fees......The Yankee ball is not an official ball; worth perhaps $5 or so and the signed ball you may get in the neighborhood of $50-$75 (maybe someone would like to display the Hunter as a single). Unless you are in need of the cash, it sounds as if the sentimental value exceeds the market one. Good Luck!
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • I am sick and tired of all the "look at my balls" threads. If I wanted to look at balls, I would just order some more movies from Don. BTW, where the heck has he been lately. One of my movies was scratched.

• << <i>I am sick and tired of all the "look at my balls" threads. If I wanted to look at balls, I would just order some more movies from Don. BTW, where the heck has he been lately. One of my movies was scratched. >>

imageimageimage

You guys are always good for a few yuks!!! Keep em coming!!!

Happy Labor Day--hope all of you have the day off!!

TO
  • pomobileclkpomobileclk Posts: 224 ✭✭✭
    For what its worth, the Yankees ball is from a "Ball Day" giveaway from the mid 1970s.