Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

French coin question .......... Chambre de Commerce de France

I 've been going through a friend's inherited collection to try to assess what he has.
It's all Darkside with a few exceptions and I've sure been busy going through my Krause and cataloging.

I'd be curious to know why the 1924 50 centimes French piece has "Chambre de Commerce de France" on it.
Anyone know?

edit for typo

Comments

• Options
    The aluminum-bronze 1 and 2 Francs were minted 1920-27, the 50 centimes 1921-29.
    Silver coins were issued in these denominations thru 1920 until world economic depression occurred.
    I would guess the mint tried to distance itself from consumer non-confidence in these 'good for' 'tokens' and no longer issuing silver coins.
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks tbirde56.
    I see where the one franc coin went from silver to aluminum-bronze in 1921.

I guess Chambre de Commerce de France qualifies a sloganeering?
    Keeping confidence up in a debased coinage?

Another French piece from the collection I'm going over. I didn't capture the luster with this image.
    I love the relief on the reverse.

• Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I understand that the "Chambres de Commerce de France" series were issued as non-government tokens, akin to the notgeld tokens issued by German cities, only these were issued and accepted throughout France.

I understand that the problem was that France wasn't authorised to issue base-metal replacements for the silver coins, which were still being hoarded by the post-war citizens; France was a "winner" of WWI but it's economy was still in ruins. The French were hoping to re-introduce the Latin Monetary Union silver standard, and were hoping that German war reparations would put their economy back on track, but the German economy was far worse; this was the middle of the German hyperinflation.

So with the French government unwilling or unable to make "official" coins, the Chambers of Commerce made their own. Their token nature is also demonstrated by the use of bon pour - "good for".
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    Here is one of mine. Not a very good photo I'm afraid.
    Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
    e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com
  • Options
    Thanks for the more informative explanation.
    Interesting that the coins still bear the Paris mint's cornucopia mintmark. That would seem to give the coins government issued legitimacy coming from the Paris state mint unless they were 'contracted' out by the Chamber of Commerce. Meanwhile the mint was still making copper-nickel 5, 10 and 25 centimes coins. The aluminum-bronze coins had to be accepted by the public but the government at the same time seems to have tried to use the excuse that they were base metal from the COC instead of the regular silver from the government to disavow the debasement. Ah, the French!
    Brad Swain

• Options
    JoesMaNameJoesMaName Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for the more informative explanation.
    Interesting that the coins still bear the Paris mint's cornucopia mintmark. That would seem to give the coins government issued legitimacy coming from the Paris state mint unless they were 'contracted' out by the Chamber of Commerce. Meanwhile the mint was still making copper-nickel 5, 10 and 25 centimes coins. The aluminum-bronze coins had to be accepted by the public but the government at the same time seems to have tried to use the excuse that they were base metal from the COC instead of the regular silver from the government to disavow the debasement. Ah, the French! >>

Well lets not be too hasty to put down our French Allies.

"Ah, human nature!"
    Would probably be more accurate.

At least when they debased their currency they alluded to the fact that something was amiss.
    They apparently circumvented whatever law they had stating that their government could only
    issue coins denominated at 1/2 Franc and above in silver or gold, with a change of issuer...
    And lets face it times were hard for them at that time.

We did the same thing and didn't even give our laws lip service - and the times weren't
    half as bad for us when we did it.

Edit: Forgot I wanted to mention that these aluminum bronze pieces are very attractive in Mint state.
    The metal content may have gone to hell, but the designs are beautiful!
    Paul - saved by
    The Fireman...
  • Options
    Yes, economic times were hard! At least they didn't have the hyperinflation the Germans did!
    And they are attractive designs too.
    Brad Swain

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for chiming in Sapyx. That sure sheds some light on the subject.
    I love that 2 Franc piece of newbiecollector's.
    I'd be interested to see a mint state example of one of these tokens. Is tokens the correct term?

I mentioned I'm going through a collection so I'm including a link to it below.
    I'm photographing and getting all the pieces labeled and into 2 x 2s. It's enjoyable tracking down the KM #s for the pieces
    and learning to recognize the composition and the various denominations of each country.

The gent who left these to my friends was also a good friend of mine. We traveled a bit together (mostly to champ car races).
    He traveled extensively and all of these coins were left in envelopes labeled with the countries he visited.

The value of this collection won't be measured in dollars or cents. I know Jack's children and grandchildren will be happy to have
    this window into his life as a remembrance.

J G Collection

I wish I could capture the colorful envelope rim toning on this piece.

1950 Syrian 1 Lira

• Options
    Some really nice coins there Swamp. Thanks for posting them
    Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
    e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com
  • Options
    JoesMaNameJoesMaName Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for chiming in Sapyx. That sure sheds some light on the subject.
    I love that 2 Franc piece of newbiecollector's.
    I'd be interested to see a mint state example of one of these tokens. Is tokens the correct term?

... >>

Here's a nice 1 Franc example, I wish I had a Two Franc that looked as good.

Paul - saved by
    The Fireman...
  • Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    that 1f is one of the nicest i've ever seen!