Home U.S. Coin Forum

Ah crap, I bought a coin...Update 10/30, no I didn't

CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭✭
Update 9/1: Just got an email from the seller. Apparently they sold the coin already and just hadn't taken it down off their website. How nice. Add another jacka$$ dealer to the list of those I won't waste my time with. Oh well.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been trying my best to not buy anything as of late, other priorities and all that jazz. Stumbled across this one last night and I just couldn't resist. It's got the look and will fit in to the core collection perfectly, the price was right and what the hell. Told the wife and got a bit of a stink eye but it was followed up with a small grin so all is good in that department. Interested in hearing your opinions of it. It is in plastic and, for once, I think they were pretty close. Wear wise I think the coin grades 1 grade higher than the what the label says but I think they probably netted it down a notch because of the relatively significant hit under Liberty's eye which I'm ok with.

Sellers Pics...

imageimage

Comments

• BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>LM-6 right? >>

yes
    and I do think it fits your core collection very nicely. image
  • STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    I'm finding it tough to grade this one.
    Weaker strike on both portraits, dark obv but lusterous rev.

I'll wag and say AU-58, maybe MS-61

Please don't look down upon my grade opinion, it's the best I can ascertain.

<< <i>I'm finding it tough to grade this one.
    Weaker strike on both portraits, dark obv but lusterous rev.

I'll wag and say AU-58, maybe MS-61

Please don't look down upon my grade opinion, it's the best I can ascertain. >>

Cladiator loves AU coins image
  • QuarternutQuarternut Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭
    I'll say AU-53 (net graded for the hit), looks nice! image

You know Clad that the best way to keep from buying anything is to not go looking for it right...? image

QN

Go to Early United States Coins - to order the New "Early United States Half Dollar Vol. 1 / 1794-1807" book or the 1st new Bust Quarter book!

• I was going with AU-58 as soon as he said it fit in nicely with his core collection. I love that golden reverse- beautiful coin and congratulations. Does it say AU-55 on the plastic, or am I too low?
    "College men from LSU- went in dumb, come out dumb too..."
    -Randy Newmanimage
  • CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You know Clad that the best way to keep from buying anything is to not go looking for it right...? >>

You're right. Sometimes it's just so hard not to look though.
  • STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Actually, I feel the same way, and COINcidentally it was in the form of a Bust Half Dime.
    Unfortunately it's not as nice as your OP, but it looks like a decent crusy VF+

Plus, I want you to reveal the grade this coin is.
  • I like it in spite of the hit. BTW I have almost convinced my wife that its not spending .... it's investing image
  • SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice looking coin.

<< <i>Plus, I want you to reveal the grade this coin is. >>

It's graded AU53 by PCGS. I think the coin is more of an AU55 based on the wear I can see in the images but got the 53 from the obverse hit. Quarternut pulled the words right out of my mouth on this one.
    Update 9/1: Just got an email from the seller. Apparently they sold the coin already and just hadn't taken it down off their website. How nice. Add another jacka$$ dealer to the list of those I won't waste my time with. Oh well.

<< <i>Update 9/1: Just got an email from the seller. Apparently they sold the coin already and just hadn't taken it down off their website. How nice. Add another jacka$$ dealer to the list of those I won't waste my time with. Oh well. >>

that really blows
  • QuarternutQuarternut Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Update 9/1: Just got an email from the seller. Apparently they sold the coin already and just hadn't taken it down off their website. How nice. Add another jacka$$ dealer to the list of those I won't waste my time with. Oh well. >>

that really blows >>

Agreed, that sucks! Although at least you have kept on track not buying any thing...

QN

Go to Early United States Coins - to order the New "Early United States Half Dollar Vol. 1 / 1794-1807" book or the 1st new Bust Quarter book!

• commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,077 ✭✭✭
    How do you know when the dealer sold it? It could have been literally minutes before you bought it, but just because he didn't take it out of inventory you'll never deal with him again? Interesting logic. I agree it sucks that you were looking forward to owning the coin, but I don't understand why you'll never deal with him again. Seems like he did the right thing, let you know right away and (I assume) refunded your money promptly.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com

<< <i>How do you know when the dealer sold it? It could have been literally minutes before you bought it, but just because he didn't take it out of inventory you'll never deal with him again? Interesting logic. I agree it sucks that you were looking forward to owning the coin, but I don't understand why you'll never deal with him again. Seems like he did the right thing, let you know right away and (I assume) refunded your money promptly.

-Paul >>

Your scenario is not the case. I have zero patience for unprofessional professionals. If it means I miss a good coin, so be it, no sweat off my balls. Below is a quote from their email to me...

"Unfortunately, we sold this item at the last show and haven't had a chance to update the website."
  • Sometimes the online coin websites are run very poorly. There was one time I wanted to buy a coin from a well-known dealer's online website. Then they notified me it had been sold about a year and a half ago!image NO, I WILL NOT OUT THEM! They are still respectable people in my book and I would consider dealing with them again since they've been good on every other transaction and details.
    A lie told often enough becomes the truth. ~Vladimir Lenin
    update 9/10: Seller STILL has the coin listed for sale on his website. image
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And.....?
    The seller/website is....????

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

<< <i>update 9/10: Seller STILL has the coin listed for sale on his website. image >>

9/12: still listed
  • I had the same thing happen a few weeks ago and it was a coin I had been searching for going on 3 plus years....I was devastated to say the least...image

<< <i>

<< <i>update 9/10: Seller STILL has the coin listed for sale on his website. image >>

9/12: still listed >>

9/15: still listed image
  • OK, now we need a link.
    Should I buy it again? image

<< <i>Should I buy it again? image >>

might as well, it's still there today and likely won't change until next week at the earliest with the LB Show going on and the "seller" having a few tables at the show.
    September 26th and still there and still for sale. image
    October 9...still listed for sale!
  • BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Guess the dealer does not need new customers otherwise they would make it a priority to keep everything up to date.
  • adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    Buy it again.

Who knows...Maybe the dealer was wrong about selling it, realized their mistake and didn't remove it. It could be for sale! Go on this theory!

If that coin is still listed and they still don't have it, then go right on ahead and drag them through the mud again.
  • Thank goodness I already have Barndog's old LM-6, and don't have to worry about buying phantom coins.image
    imageimage
    -Randy Newmanimage
    guess what?

Yep, still listed for sale
  • That's it- I'm buying that bad boy and giving it to Cladiator for a Christmas present.image

I think it's really for sale- just not to Cladiator.
    -Randy Newmanimage

<< <i>That's it- I'm buying that bad boy and giving it to Cladiator for a Christmas present.image

I think it's really for sale- just not to Cladiator. >>

Well it'll be 2 months tomorrow and the coin is still listed as for sale image

NHS, you may well be right image
    hey! Just checked and the coin Cladiator "bought" has finally disappeared!

<< <i>hey! Just checked and the coin Cladiator "bought" has finally disappeared! >>

Dang that was quick. Only 67 days after I bought it. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file