Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

HERITAGE LONG BEACH AUCTION TO HAVE TWO 1990 NO S LINCOLN CENTS

Heritage will be auctioning not one, but two 1990 No S Lincoln proof cent error coins in their September 17th auction. Both coins are PCGS 68 DCAMS. Here is a link to Lot# 513 and to Lot# 514.

It will be interesting to see how these two coins do in today's market. PCGS lists the retail value as $8,750 but I believe there are a few of these coins in the hands of dealers who would sell at a lower price. It remains clear to me, however, that this is a coin with a total population of less than 200 and those collectors of Lincoln cent proof coins need this variety to complete the collection. Good luck to anyone here who is going after either or both of these coins.

Steveimage

Comments

• Options
    513:

imageimage

514:

imageimage

I'd like the 513 Obv with the 514 rev please.

What's going on on the 513 rev accross the top and to the left and right of the memorial? Struck thru? Die cracks? Planchet imperfections? Different marriage?

Wonder how long my current high bids ( image& image) will hold up? imageimage

• Options
    66RB66RB Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭
    Almost looks like 513 was pulled out of the government packaging just in time!

Steve, these people have not been listening to you about getting these out of the OGP and into a TPG's plasticimage
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Almost looks like 513 was pulled out of the government packaging just in time!

Steve, these people have not been listening to you about getting these out of the OGP and into a TPG's plasticimage >>

Rob,
    You are 100% right! Anyone who owns a proof set containing the 1990 no S should get that coin slabbed by PCGS or NGC as soon as possible. Otherwise, the owner is taking a great risk on pontential problems which WILL effect value down the road.
    Steveimage
  • Options
    Here is an update with 11 days to go:

Lot #513 is at $6,325 (with the juice) and has 8 bidders
    Lot #514 is at $6,900 (with the juice) and has 8 bidders

Steveimage
  • Options
    OK, today is the last day for internet bidding and the coins are auctioned tomorrow. For the past week BOTH coins have been sitting at $6,900 which is probably close to current market. I kinda think the high bidder or bidders here are dealers who probably figure they can turn them for $7,500 to $8k. Somehow this coin is not being treated the same way as the 1909VDB MPL as far as Lincoln cent collectors are concerned. I still believe there are less than 200 in existence. Someday this coin will be a real hot error coin IMHO. Steveimage
  • Options
    Live bidding starts tonight at 6p PT.
  • Options
    Can someone knowledgeable in Heritage auctions please explain to me how one of these two 1990 no S coins can have their bid changed from $6,000 back to $5,500 this afternoon just before the live bidding. It's like the last internet bid on this coin last week was dropped after a week of display. I'm sure it's all legal, but exactly how does it work and WHY? Thanks. I think it is lot 513. Steveimage
  • Options
    Someone bid was canceled. Either because someone simply asked them to cancel their bid or because they decided to cancel the bid due to other reasons (perhaps other &/or recent failure to pay for lots, e.g.).

Lot 513 is a dog anyway - thus the final price of $6,325 - although even the $6,900 for 514 seemed a bit soft and taken together don't bode well for a longer term trend:

• Options
    Interesting how the "raw and probably can't be holdered" (Lot 1502) 1990 NO S sold for $5175. Close to the "good" ones...
    The Accumulator - Dark Lloyd of the Sith