Home U.S. Coin Forum

OT BUT they're predicting GUSTAV will be WORSE than Katrina - latest details here. Post a coin if yo

2»

Comments

• droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

<< <i>"Circle of Trust" New Orleans style..............Photo shows Katrina looters working the Circle.
    image >>

Where the hell else were they going to get food? Nothing was open! Should they starve?

And if you were in the same boat (or rather, not in a boat!), would you not be doing the same thing to survive?

As they sang in "The Threepenny Opera": Erst kommt das Essen, dann kommt die Moral.

(Food is the first thing, morals follow on.)
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    New Orleans IS and HAS BEEN a disaster waiting to happen. As we all know, New Orleans itself is Below Sea-level.

A port opened - it HAD TO BE OPENED, for reasons already mentioned. It was and STILL IS the Gateway to the open seas for transporting cargo IN TO and OUT OF this Nation. There was no alternative. It HAD TO BE/ EXIST!

What should have been limited to a "Port town" inevitably turning into a densely populated City ... DID NOT HAVE TO BE!

As Time moved on - as the Port branched out to the immediate surrounding area (The French Quarter with all it's now famous bars, brothels, hotels, restaurants, shops selling imports & exports etc) also came to be, forever sealing the deal. Disaster became ineviable and simply a matter of time.

Being below sea level, with water exiting the Riverround to a crawl ... with water from the Gulf fbeing forced IN - I believe it a fair statement that New Orleans, steep in history, is helpless unless drastic measures are taken.

Lake Ponchatrain is also a problem. When water from both bodies rise to certain levels, they IS GOING to empty into the bowl that is "New Orleans." Frankly, New Orleans is in essence, basically another "Venice" as there IS nowhere for water to go but to the least and lowest point of resistance.

It's a shame because New Orleans is thick with an air of "Spirits past!" Such a truly beautiful place to visit however a very dangerous place to take up residence. I love to visit but NO WAY I would ever live there. Too much to lose.
    Jerry, I reside in New Iberia, 20 miles SSE of Lafayette (basically mid way of the I-10 corridor when viewing a map of the State.) If next time you should see a picture of the State, below it is an island known as Marsh Island. This is otherwise known as Vermilion Bay.

From that island, just look due North, look at where I-10 is in the lower portion of the state. Directly North of that Island but 25 miles SE of it you'll find New Iberia. I am very safe here. Despit all the sever flooding just 10 miles south of me, in Delcambre, we here remained high & dry - not by a whole heck of a lot but nontheless, never flooded. The maps & models presented us showed just how near floodwaters were but that even in a Worst case scenario, where I am would not flood!

Surrounding my locale is a network of drainage jars large enough for a man to stand in that empty into very deep canals which empty into Spanish Lake itself, which if IT overflows empties into yet another Lake.

There was a great flood in New Iberia back in the early 20s. Took place on a beautiful, sunny day. It was not due to rain or anything of the sort but rather due to a levee breaking that has since been rebuilt in it's entirety by The Army Corps of Engineers.

No water from any Hurricane has even remotely come close to flooding where I am nor has any deluge last lasted for days on end. One would need to know and or study this particular area in order to appreciate the fact that I am inland and well above sea level - not at all on the same level as New Orleans which IS below sea level.

We have excellent drainage here and have many places for the water to drain in to. The Corps learned an extremely valuable lesson from the flood of 1923 (I think that was the year & if it isn't I'm not far off give or take a couple years in either direction. image
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Boom,
    As I implied, you're the one who has the knowledge to know whether or not it is OK to stay.

As for NO being below Sea Level. Hasn't the Netherlands been mostly below sea level for many centuries without big problems?

--Jerry
  • SandhawkSandhawk Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭

Be safe BOOM !!!

imageimage

• droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hasn't the Netherlands been mostly below sea level for many centuries without big problems? >>

After a disastrous flood in 1953 that killed almost 2,000 people, the Dutch commenced work on building dikes (levees) and sea barriers to withstand a 500-year flood. The project was completed in 1998.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
    << Hasn't the Netherlands been mostly below sea level for many centuries without big problems?>>

Sorry but I wouldn't know the answer to this question but if you do & say so it's good enough for me.

As for the rest of the family, half are sleeping while the others are watching The Weather Channel and listening to local AM radio. Besides being here, online, I am monitoring everything at several venues simultaneously.

With winds presently around 110 MPH I no longer am concerned with catastrophic wind damage as opposed to when it was up to 150 MPH just a couple days ago. As close as it is to the Coast and at the rate it is moving I do not foresee it getting much stronger if at all. At present what is of concern would be tornadoes and a real long rain.

Once again God has somehow managed to lessen it's projected ferocity. This we can deal with. No problem. image
    He has never let us down. Wish I could say the same about never letting HIM down!image
    << Be safe BOOM !!!>>

Thank you Sandhawk.

I sincerely hope I never am forced to shoot another human being. Lord knows that if anyone needed help, I certainly would help them but no one need steal from us when all they need do is ask.

If an individual or anyone comes here intending to inflict bodily harm to my Mother, sister or any member of my family - I'll do whatever I must in order to protect them.

Prayer would be appreciated.
    Rob (lordmarcovan) my thoughts and prayers are with you.

It looks like we may also be dealing with Hanna and from what I saw it would appear there are yet 2 others behind GUSTAV and Hanna. Man, now that would be a first and could be slightly problematic BUT, we would just have to deal with them, one by one!

Take care Rob! image
  • I am not one to brush off a serious situation. I had to evacuate the Alabama gulf coast when Ivan was coming in. We even got kicked around pretty bad all the way up in Birmingham from Ivan, Opal, Katrina. But, looking at this one, I really don't think New Orleans is in that much trouble. They may experience strong cat. 1 winds, and a lot of rain. Contrast to Katrina, a cat. 4 which passed alot closer to NO.
    Just to keep this coin-related and no Pun intended either.
    Here are a couple more for New Orleans. I REALLY like this piece, Shot taken in haste.

imageimage
  • TrustNo1TrustNo1 Posts: 1,359
    Before NOLA, there was Indianola, Texas... lets hope it doesnt echo that towns devastation from 2 hurricanes Indianola
  • TavernTreasuresTavernTreasures Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>"Circle of Trust" New Orleans style..............Photo shows Katrina looters working the Circle.
    image >>

Where the hell else were they going to get food? Nothing was open! Should they starve?

And if you were in the same boat (or rather, not in a boat!), would you not be doing the same thing to survive?

As they sang in "The Threepenny Opera": Erst kommt das Essen, dann kommt die Moral.

(Food is the first thing, morals follow on.) >>

Most folks were busy trying to save their homes and possessions or trying to get out of the area. Food stores were not the only targets of the looters during Katrina. Possibly, if the were looting your property, it would be OK.
    Advanced collector of BREWERIANA. Early beer advertising (beer cans, tap knobs, foam scrapers, trays, tin signs, lithos, paper, etc)....My first love...U.S. COINS!
  • YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220
    Hurricanes are the cleansing of our mother earth. While people chose to stay in a area that has a track history of the storms path amazes me, As some know I have 2 condos in Ft Myers Beach Fla, and my insurance for my property continues to rise I hope my fears of this doesn't let the grubs come out and take advantage of people or the elected officals open up a unlimted wallet to pass this mess on to hard working people.

God bless all that is in this semi monsters path and God Speed for all.image
  • MercuryMercury Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭
    I live in New Orleans, however, I am currently writing from Shreveport.
    I have decided to leave. I have a family and small children and the means to leave.
    If it was just me. I would have stayed. Others really do not have the means to leave.
    Until you have seen the reports talk about your town as the target dont judge the people who have had to make these live changing decisions.

Boom, God bless you and good luck.

The New Orleans Mint last year after rebuilding
    Collecting Peace Dollars and Modern Crap.
    Thanks Mercury. This is a very strange storm. 2 days ago we all saw a huge Cat 4 coming off Puerto Rico headed for the Gulf @ 150 MPH and due to gain strength right? I did not dream this! I was out in the craziness as people were freaking out, about to go to fist city as gas stations began to close & ran out of Gas.

It was the same while we hurriedly prepared and everyone was busy battening down the hatches or gathering supplies!

Something has changed once again but this is NOT the Monster I saw 2 days ago that cause people to freak!

Once again The Almighty has proven to spare us! I'm glad you ALL have witnessed His AWESOME Power with me!

Say what you all choose to say but I declared I was staying and was prepared to live with my choice and the consequences.

Look at The Weather Channel & witness for yourselves how all things are possible with God! Where did that huge monster of 48 hrs ago, go?

I have to go check a few things and may need to make my rounds but I sure am glad ALL OF YOU are witnessing this "LIVE" with me!

Thank God, once AGAIN!
  • Is that the turkey talking?

Wild Turkey, that is!

• FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    Looks like Gustav has turned out to be a real yawner of a storm. The bad thing is, next time might be the real thing and some may stay when they should have gone. I have no criticisms for the stern warnings given by the elected officials - once bitten - twice shy.

Boom looks like you know your surrounding really well. I remember my first Hurricane here in Delaware as a young Child of about 5. I didn't know what in heck a Hurricane was and was told it was like a big monstrous Tornado. I was really dissapointed when it turned out to be nothing but rain and some strong wind. Of course a Cat 5 Cane would be an entirely different beast. Even a Cat 4 or Cat 3 would be a batch but here in Delaware, they get really weakened out before striking.

Well, enjoy your wind and rain show, I'm sure you don't really need it down there. It's become like a desert up here, maybe Hannah will reach us and give us some much needed rain. Keeping my fingers crossed.
    JSF. I don't drink, at all/

Here is the latest, for real - Turn on the Weather Channel

From AT&T
  • yeah Boom, I'm dry too.

watching LA from so. tx. by the bay

Dolly was a Cat 2 for us earlier this year

have fun
  • Hey my friend,

I'm very happy to see you here and OK. Is the worst over now, or is it just half time? It looked like it was heading right for you.

Thinking of you buddy.
    Paul
    (Old man) Look I had a lovely supper, and all I said to my wife was, “That piece of halibut was good enough for Jehovah”.

(Priest) BLASPHEMY he said it again, did you hear him?
    It seems you guys would have a better view on cnn. I am a risk taker If my health was better I would have a metal detector and on my way down the grand isle. Keep safe all.
  • Here is our local news stations' blog in Birmingham....probably the most comprehensive weather coverage you'll see anywhere. Like I said in my post last night, this storm is a yawner...NO is going to be just fine.
  • How people can continue to try & rebuild?
    You can ask the same of people in ANY flood plain, tornado ally, earthquake, mudslide, brush fire zones in Ca.

It's kinda like:

Other kings said I was daft to build a castle in the swamp. But I built it all the same. And it sank into the swamp.

Next image
    (Old man) Look I had a lovely supper, and all I said to my wife was, “That piece of halibut was good enough for Jehovah”.

(Priest) BLASPHEMY he said it again, did you hear him?
  • BloodManBloodMan Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

imageimage

• << <i>It seems you guys would have a better view on cnn. I am a risk taker If my health was better I would have a metal detector and on my way down the grand isle. Keep safe all. >>

ROFL- too funny, Yaha.

They say Jean Lafitte's treasure is buried down there...image
    "College men from LSU- went in dumb, come out dumb too..."
    -Randy Newmanimage
  • The wind is starting to kick a little in Baton Rouge- still have power, though. The response to this storm by the people and government officials has been outstanding- what a stark contrast to three years ago. Kudos to all of our emergency preparedness officials for a job well done.

The storm really weakened a lot before coming ashore. Thanks to all for your prayers and kind words.
    "College men from LSU- went in dumb, come out dumb too..."
    -Randy Newmanimage
  • Glad to hear that everyone is doing fine and that the storm has started to dissapate. Boom, did you get any practice in?
    This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.

<< <i>

<< <i>It seems you guys would have a better view on cnn. I am a risk taker If my health was better I would have a metal detector and on my way down the grand isle. Keep safe all. >>

ROFL- too funny, Yaha.

They say Jean Lafitte's treasure is buried down there...image >>

Hell when my health gets better I will bunk with you and we will both get rich. BTW, stay safe and hope everything turns out fine 4ya. George
  • mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would have a metal detector and on my way down the grand isle. Keep safe all. >>

Forget the metal detector.You will need a boat mounted dredge and permission to scoop large amounts of mud.image

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

<< <i>I would have a metal detector and on my way down the grand isle. Keep safe all. >>

Forget the metal detector.You will need a boat mounted dredge and permission to scoop large amounts of mud.image >>

That's just not right. I had a vision, it was great while it lasted thanks for bringing up the slit theory. Damn back to my bathtub trying to find coin.image
  • TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭
    batten down the hatches, Boom. Gustav just made landfall in dulac, la. and is on a beeline straight for ya!

Hope all is well.

TC71
  • CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks like Gustav has turned out to be a real yawner of a storm.

Isn't that what they said about Katrina-before the levees broke? This storm aint over yet.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭
    Just for reference:

As for the Netherlands being below sea level, this may be true but I do not believe that Europe is plagued with Hurricanes.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Boom,
    As I implied, you're the one who has the knowledge to know whether or not it is OK to stay.

As for NO being below Sea Level. Hasn't the Netherlands been mostly below sea level for many centuries without big problems?

--Jerry >>

YES! but how many hurricanes have they gotten over the years? and are they in a "hurricane prone alley?"
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington

<< <i>Just for reference:

As for the Netherlands being below sea level, this may be true but I do not believe that Europe is plagued with Hurricanes. >>

Lee you are so right. BUt one must not forget the sweat dropplets that tend to slid down the hairy pits and boxes of the Europeans. I can remember almost drowning once in a hot sauna in Europe and the water wasn't even on. but had over 20 European men and wonan dripping like shabacca.image
    Latest Update:Well, everyone here is safe, sound .... and DRY!

We are without power and have been since about 10:00/ 10:30 this morningbut we still have phones. Internet - I COULD try the desktop but don't thinkit's a good idea running it off the Generator which apparently surges intermittently as the Main House and the back house (and everything else)are all running off this fantastic generator (obviously our GREATEST ASSET now along with plenty of fuel etc) - therefore I am on, compliments of the laptop! image

If we had no generator it would be TOO "still" and muggy in here as there wouldbe no air moving! Outside air is way to thick with humidity to be comfortable.Man, I HATE being anywhere where air is still. That really gets uncomfortable.

So far the only casualty is one of the 2 huge Twin Live Oak trees on my adjoininglots. Not real sure what happened and or why it basically just split in half and is inthe street! The Sheriff's Office and 911 have been notified and hopefully will send a crew out tomorrow to clear the street however there is a MANDATORY, strictly enforced Curfew out!

Anyone caught out on the streets, for any reason, is being arrested and sent straight topopulation of Angola State Penetentiary! The Sheriff is tough and not playing Games with anybody!

The immediate surrounding is NOT a thoroughfare anyway! Shaped like a paper clip, the ONLY people that come through here are the local residents. No sight seers! But, since the curfew is
    in place, NO ONE except for Law Enforcement & Emergency personnel are allowed out at night
    and as such there is little to no chance anyone will run into the tree! What's really weird is the
    fact that although on the lot, having fallen in the street, it didn't even hit, touch or damage the fence!

Generators can be heard running everywhere and all that stayed are watching out for one another,
    keeping eyes open, watching everyone else's property.

Obviously there is no problem with looters. There is nowhere I would rather be than right here! image 
  • FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    I envy you your rain. Up here all rain systems have kept well west of Dover, Delaware. We might get 5 or 10 minutes worth of sprinkles and that's it.

Farmers around here are really getting into irrigation systems. Seems like a really costly way to farm but that's just how dry Delaware has become.
    We were quite fortunate here!

Not TOO MUCH rain! The eye came right over us and it did get
    a little interesting for a bit ... but fortunately - not too bad!

Glad we stayed however I just learned of an elderly couple that died
    when a huge tree fell on top of their home. That's really sad news.

No big trees around either the Big house or the back house, here!
    No way that's happening! Still sad to learn of these peoples' deaths.

Very terrible.image
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you Governor Jindal.........................Young Guv Extraordinaire image

School Bus Nagin............take a hike!!!!! image

• << <i>Just to keep this coin-related and no Pun intended either >>

Hey did I send that to you?
    how are you doing now?
    Ebay Seller I.D
    the_northern_trading_company
    ace@airadv.net
    imageimage
    We're really getting heavy rains today. Although the center is above us, somewhere around Shreveport, NW corner of the state, we are now stuck in the aftermath and incurring what is referred to as the training effect.

The final bands of this cartwheel are right over the top of us and heavy rain keeps coming down.

Whereas the streets had been relatively dry this morning, the rains came and a lot of rain came down in a hurry and is just now beginning to let up!

Worst part is no power but we've got that covered with the Generator. Can't run A/C though and it's obviously real muggy.

I understand we have several other storms to deal with. Anyone know what Hanna and Ike are doing? Are there any others in the picture in the near future?

Regards,

BOOMimage
  • imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
    << BOOM, did you get any practice in?>>

You bet I have, Earl! Last night it was REALLY DARK out and the
    Neighborhood was filled with the sounds of Generators everywhere.

I got out in the garage where one of the sets stays set up,
    keeping the 72 Chevy Impala Custom Coupe company (The
    car I was telling you about) and I played for quite a while.

Works wonders for calming the nerves & venting frustration. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file