Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Isn't Ben Franklin Looking Silly In Drag?

Well it sorta looks like ole Ben

Man, and people criticize the SBA $1.

Comments

• Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    A 'so-called nonsense-cent'. Hm.

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know nothing of this cent, but the type of lettering and strong strike looks to me that this coin was struck about 60 years ago, not over 200 years.

What is the scoop on this coin. Was it struck in 1759?
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    Here is some info on the Martha Washington pieces: linky link
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    OK, these are ugly and I really prefer the gold spouse alternative.
  • Options

<< <i>Well it sorta looks like ole Ben

Looks like Winston Churchill.

Thanks,
    Mark

The Secret Of Success Law:
    Discover all unpredictable errors before they occur.
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    I really does look like old 'Ben'...

It's just not Ben F. It's Ben H.

• Options
    FullStepJeffsFullStepJeffs Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    I find it interesting an online error dealer had these priced a few years ago in the 50K range...

Steve

U.S. Air Force Security Forces Retired

In memory of the USAF Security Forces lost: A1C Elizabeth N. Jacobson, 9/28/05; SSgt Brian McElroy, 1/22/06; TSgt Jason Norton, 1/22/06; A1C Lee Chavis, 10/14/06; SSgt John Self, 5/14/07; A1C Jason Nathan, 6/23/07; SSgt Travis Griffin, 4/3/08; 1Lt Joseph Helton, 9/8/09; SrA Nicholas J. Alden, 3/3/2011. God Bless them and all those who have lost loved ones in this war. I will never forget their loss.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have an interesting story regarding one of those MW pieces.

A local customer of mine, when I first set up the antique mall booth, talked to me about cheap Darkside coins I was selling in my 3/$1 bin, and where I got them. I told him I bought them in bulk in big bags, and that cherrypicking them was time consuming but fun, and sometimes quite profitable.

Months later, he came back to me and said that he had followed my advice on getting Krause catalogs and buying bulk world coins and cherrypicking them. And he'd bought one bulk lot (not from me) which proved very interesting. It threw him off at first, because he couldn't find mention of it anywhere, even though it was obviously an American coin. It was a "Martha Washington" pattern piece, the "dime", I think.

Having just heard of these pieces for the first time, I just mumbled, "oh, suuure, RIGHT" to myself, giving the story about as much credence as the usual ludicrous "Once my daddy found a 1913 Liberty nickel" stories one hears from the general public. I completely thought this fella was telling me a tall tale, until he came back beaming about the sale of the piece, and showed me a clipping from Coin World or somewhere, with his name and the story in it.

My jaw about hit the floor.

I wish I could remember more of the details. The guy was a schoolteacher, if I recall correctly, maybe from Jacksonville, FL, and had been laid off or was in danger of being laid off or cut back somehow, so the discovery could not have come at a better time for him. He was happy with me for the pointers I'd given him about Darkside bulk cherrypicking.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file