Home U.S. Coin Forum

CRO bonus Road Report: Coin Collection at Colonial Williamsburg

RYKRYK Posts: 35,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Comments

• coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A friend of my family was employed there for many years. I never took the opportunity to visit her there during her tenure.image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• RYKRYK Posts: 35,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This article deserves more props. CCU worked hard on it.

• farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    I found the article quite interesting, and I don't even collect them! image
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    OK, fine article is worthless with out pics. image

Wish I would have been invited to see that vault. image
  • LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Wow. This is a great report and I am not sure how I missed it (I am on the CRO site every day, but I take weekends off). I am impressed that someone who deals with coins every day also makes it a point to check out numismatic collections while on vacation. I can't imagine that someone like RYK stops by a fellow doctor's house during his vacation to read a mammogram or two. image
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975
    I'm surprised this word didn't come to your mind: Deduction. image
  • Interesting report. I didn't know coins from the Netherlands circulated in the US.
  • BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow. This is a great report and I am not sure how I missed it (I am on the CRO site every day, but I take weekends off). I am impressed that someone who deals with coins every day also makes it a point to check out numismatic collections while on vacation. I can't imagine that someone like RYK stops by a fellow doctor's house during his vacation to read a mammogram or two. image >>

Difference is that a dealer probably started out as a collector and by nature is still interested in the stuff as a hobby.
  • Great thread!

Actually I have wanted to see this collection since meeting Erik (the Curator) at the ANA Seminar several years ago.

And since I was there, and had the time, I wasn't going to miss it.

• MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good report. I really enjoyed my visit to Colonial Williamsburg a couple of months ago...and I only saw the collection on public display; I didn't get to see "the cool stuff hidden away in the top-secret vaults".

It's pretty cool and a bit surprising to see the extensive variety of foreign coins that circulated in early America. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file