Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Any ideas how to get people to offer to show you more coin for sale?

Does anyone have tips on how to get offered more coins for sale?

I have purchased well over 100 coins from board memeber sellers but yet I always see Seated Dimes offered for sale and often sold at prices lower than I would have paid too. It should be obvious that if you wanted to sell a ASE or Kennedy half that there are other people who would come to mind as better people to offer those coins to. As there are a lot of series specific people here what can be done to promote their desire to buy or be offered coins in that series?
I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.

Comments

• Options
    I have seen several "Want to buy" threads on the BST offering descriptions of the type of coins that member is after. I have often wondered how that has worked out.
    "College men from LSU- went in dumb, come out dumb too..."
    -Randy Newmanimage
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Put the following in your sig line:

"I want to overpay for your choice seated dimes"

2. Put an occasional thread on the BST titled,

"WTB: Seated dimes"

And in the post,

"Please offer to me first"

and indicate the type of coins you are looking to purchase

3. Contact dealers who sell seated dimes and indicate which coins are on your want list.

4. Be a low maintenance customer and prompt payer.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This seems to be a trait of the hobby. The dealers who pay the least, seem to end up with more than their share of coins. It doesn't seem to matter how much you put your name out there unless you are a vacuum cleaner with no concern for quality and almost never refuse a coin.

It makes no sense to me either but apparently the public prefers to sell to local shops who they think must be trustworty or they pick the big name dealer who advertises nationally who picks them off while patting them on the back on how well they negotiated.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    MowgliMowgli Posts: 1,219
    Yesterday I visted a local coin shop for the first time. The person working there found out I collected seated halves and told me that he was looking for an 1839 no drapery for a type set he was assembling. He has been collecting for 50 years and works in a coin store. He had no idea that there were on-line dealers who had good inventories of seated material - none.

The average person who comes across seated material is going to sell them to a coin store especially if they inherited them. We all know that they are not going to get the best price.

Personally, I have a date set of seated dimes that I would, when I'm ready, sell to you first if the coins helped you with your collection. I would be less likely to do so, if the coins were for your inventory.

Otherwise, the WTB is a good idea along with your current tag line. Seated people know that you are the person to go to for dimes, type collectors probably not so much.
    In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
  • Options
    I've had great success with WTB ads on the BST.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah.....don't get into pissing contests on the board.
    I avoid buying/selling from members who go into attack mode on me (and I am sure others do with me as well) and avoid those I see going off on others if it seems out of place.

Doesn't matter the reason or "who is right"....it is a turnoff. If I were a dealer, pretend or real, I wouldn't get into public pissing contests here.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file