Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Dont just read the plastic

This is what happens when you read the plastic and dont look at the coin inside.

And this is what happens when you take a £35 coin and put it in a plastic tomb

This

Comments

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    THAT ABOUT SOMES IT UP...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, this is a "third world" tomb and the source is worse than bad on occasion - don't know if it would be fair to lump all the services in with this one.

Still, point is well taken - PLEASE look at the coin within!!!!
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

<< <i>Well, this is a "third world" tomb and the source is worse than bad on occasion - don't know if it would be fair to lump all the services in with this one.

Still, point is well taken - PLEASE look at the coin within!!!! >>

I agree in principle. Personally I have never had any dealing with that service but, and JUST my opinion, I would not have give £35 for the coin.
    Possibly unfair to the coin since all I have is the photo to see.
    Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
    e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com
  • Options
    I'm giving the coin the benifit of the doubt and assuming it's at least as specimen example with the slightly mirrored fields. but it definetly is no proof. I think it's the second time it's been on in the least couple of months. The 1st time by the guy who slabs them. At this previous time I contacted him to ask if it was the raised edge proof as I suspected it was a specimen strike, guess what no reply. By the way the currency pieces also come as a proof but they are as rare as hens teeth.
  • Options
    coffeycecoffeyce Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    I have bought a few slabbed NNC coins. Mostly darkside Guatemala coins. I am very novice at grades of coins but from other I saw with same grades I was dissapointed, most even looked dirty. I was lucky; however, and wasnt paying but maybe a little over melt value for the coin. I would rate NNC a little above SGS. But that is just my inexperienced opinion.

Chris
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, sorry, this does appear to be a specimen. I think I once paid 115 dollars for an MS 65 in PCGS holder. That was probably fair.

An interesting bit: the currency bits are very hard to find gem without field marks or hits/friction to George's cheek on the obverse. Somewhat similar to the cheek friction on Wreaths.

Specimen strike coins are not rare, but do not attract that much premium either.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    NNC is a slabbing "service" that is actually a single individual, who buys and sells on ebay. He buys under one ebay ID and sells under another. ALL his NNC slabbed coins are WAY overgraded, and he is a conman, to put it nicely. To be more accurate, one might say he is a self slabbing self serving CROOK! No doubt, there have been many who have been taken by him, and no doubt they eventually try to resell the crap they bought from him, so I am not saying that every one selling NNC slabbed coins are crooks, but the one doing the slabbing most assuredly is.

It is just such slabbed coins that prompted ebay to ban usage of MS designations for anything other than the topp rated certifcation services.
  • Options
    The shameful thing is that eBay is a partner in perpetuating the crime! These "home-slabbers" should definitely be banned or at least monitored in some way.
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    I don't know what eBay could do? If the home slabbers are legitimate businesses and legitimate companies, i.e. registered, pay taxes on their sales etc. then eBay wouldn't have much of a ground to ban them from selling their product. It would be up to someone else to bring a case up against their practice, but even then I don't know how far they would get as the self slabbers could argue that grading is subjective and its only their opinion.

There wouldn't be these type of business at all if people didn't buy the product. I suspect the more knowledgeable buy the coin and not the slab and then crack the coin out. I feel for the novices however that look at something like the PCGS price guide for a coin and think they're getting a bargain or pay over the top with the same grade of a coin in a lower tier slab.
  • Options
    JoesMaNameJoesMaName Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭

<< <i>....

It is just such slabbed coins that prompted ebay to ban usage of MS designations for anything other than the topp rated certifcation services. >>

So how did this joker get around that policy? Just not seen or reported? Or by seperating the "PR" from the "64" with a dash "-"?
    Paul - saved by
    The Fireman...
  • Options
    I wasn't clear. Sellers are not allowed to put MS or PR grades in their description or title, but having it on the picture of the slab is not prohibited.

Edited to add...

That auction was on the ebay.uk site, and I don't know if they have instituted the same policy. Even if the the UK site does have a similar policy, a casual seller might get by without having the listing caught in time.
  • Options
    I saw an NNC slabbed coin recently on ebay that was a Prussian 3 Mark 100 year Anniversary Defeat of Napoleon (1913A).
    The slab said: Saxony 3 Mark 1913

Jim