Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Have you ever gambled with sportscards?

Playing online poker right now, and was wondering if any of you ever
gambled with sportscards? Using sportscards as money that is.
My biggest lost was a 68 Ryan in a poker game, many moons ago. Probably would of graded a 6 or 7.
I'll never forget it. Anyone else?

Comments

• Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    I use common cards as $1 chips, when we play at "work."

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Yes, I gave up 6 rookie cards of Mario Lemieux (topps) back in 1989.
  • Options
    What about pack wars? I remember burning sum bucks back in the late 90s opening up premium stuff. We'd box break a case, who ever got he best box walked with everything.
    Always buying 1984 Ralston Purina PSA 9s and 10s I NEED 19,21, and 29!!!
  • Options
    EagleEyeKidEagleEyeKid Posts: 4,496 ✭✭
    Box wars/pack wars are fun too. The loser had to pay for everyone's pack/box.
    Best card took everything. In case of tie for best card, we started counting mulitples.
    If it was still a tie, we went to the next second best.
    We used to pack war 90 Leaf Series 2 for Thomas and Justice back in 91,
    and 92 Fleer Cellos for rookie sensations. Another form of gambling. It was addiciting,
    but it was fun. I didn't have much guts for box wars. The only box wars I've done
    was for the 91 UD basketball looking for L. Johnson & Mutumbo. Occasionally the box
    wouldn't be over $25 if 4 or 5 people went in on box wars. Loser would pay for everyone's
    box. The good ol days.
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    I played pack wars back in the day, but never for a whole box. That sounds like a blast.
  • Options
    "What about pack wars? I remember burning sum bucks back in the late 90s opening up premium stuff. We'd box break a case, who ever got he best box walked with everything. "
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pack wars are a blast , but I don't mind losing my money in a poker game or at the racetrack , but I really don't like losing my cards , for some reason, that is unacceptable .

• Options
    Deal me in... as long as Lee isn't playing that is image
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    I used to play pack wars with a friend, but we would pick something obscure to decide who would win the other guy's pack. For instance we would buy two packs of basketball and whoever pulled the fattest guy would win all the packs. So if I pulled a Hot Plate Williams, that could win me multiple Jordans.
  • Options
    shouldabeena10shouldabeena10 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭
    Back in the late 80's/early 90's ... Art (skinsfan) and I use to play Poker, Uno, and Rummy for sportscards. We'd set a time or dollar limit, keep score on paper, then whoever won got to basically go shopping "Wheel of Fortune" style through the other guys collection.

One of us would get on a roll for a while and start wiping out the other guys 'good cards' ... and then everything we did became a challenge to try and get those cards back. We'd apply random dollar amounts to everything we did, from going out shooting pool, bowling, pub darts, football bets .... even flipping quarters sometimes if I remember correctly?

It was all fun and games until Art snatched up my beautiful Joe Montana rookie card. He got on an extended hot streak, and I never did get that card back!

To this day, I haven't forgiven him for that!
    "Vintage Football Cards" A private Facebook Group of 4000 members, for vintage football card trading, sales & auctions. https://facebook.com/groups/vintagefootball/
  • Options
    In the hey day for sports cards, we used to play hearts and used cards as money. The total value bet was based on Beckett book value. We would get together with boxes of cards in toploaders and play for hours. The best card I ever lost was a Koufax rookie. It was devastating then but in hindsight it was probably only a PSA 2 due to a large crease.
  • Options
    RoarIn84RoarIn84 Posts: 859 ✭✭
    pack wars in my circle was the highest number card in the pack (not value). loved doing the 92 Bowmans and the 93 Finest. won me a griffey refractor someone else pulled, cause i had the Dave Fleming card #196/199
  • Options
    as kids we played poker for cards... everyone would ante up book value cards... this was late 80's so there were a lot of 87 Topps being put in pots. For the big hands we would have 85 Topps rookies in like Clemens, Puckett, and McGwire.