Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Pixelation

Anyone know how to fix a pixelated image like this?

1962 Bart Starr

I scanned the card at 300 dpi, and then re-sized it to 150 dpi using PhotoShop. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    I don't know if you can go backwards.

Might have to do it over.

Don't touch any of the "manual/automatic picture enhancements/adjustments,"
    before you resize it.

If you use 200 dpi you should not have to resize it, and it will not need any
    "enhancements."
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    Thanks for the response. I tried 200 dpi and the image was still pixelated. Then I tried 600 dpi and it looked a little better:

bart starr, 600 dpi

Almost everyone recommends 200 or 300 dpi, but it seems like 600 dpi works better with my scanner (HP 2110).
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like you may have a document scanner. They're not really made for color images or 3 dimensional objects.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    Something's not right.

If you are using software that came with the scanner, you might try downloading
    the latest updates. And/Or, reinstall the original software.

An unmesssed with scan should not look like that.

The pictures - both of them - look like they have been over-enhanced.

If the HP software has a "one-click-photo-fix," try NOT clicking it.

I dunno.
  • Options
    Also, you should select "color photo," if that is an option when you are ordering the scan.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice. Maybe this scanner is used mainly for scanning documents. It's called an HP PSC 2110 all-in-one printer, scanner, copier. For copies, there are separate buttons for "black" and "color", but I don't know if these affect the scans.

When I scanned the Bart Starr card at 600 dpi, I didn't adjust any contrast or brightness settings in PhotoShop. The only thing I did was crop the photo, and then I saved it without resizing.
  • Options
    It isn't the DPI that's getting you... it's a color depth, dithering, or smoothing setting...

Somewhere in the scanning utility must be a setting for "color photo" or color depth. You definitely want color photo selected, and if it gives you a choice for color depth, select 16.7 million (it might say 24-bit). Sometimes, if 16 bit is selected, you can get patches like that. Also make sure that when you save them in photoshop, the color depth is at least 24-bit / 16.7 million.

Edited-to-add: Did some digging. Was able to at least find out that particular model can do 24 and 32-bit color, so most definitely those patches should not be showing up.
    Nolan Ryan & Edgar Martinez are my favorite players...
    mosaic's Nolan Ryan Basic Topps registry set
    mosaic's Big 3 Nolan Ryan Run Showcase
  • Options
    EagleEyeKidEagleEyeKid Posts: 4,496 ✭✭
    pixelated is a word? sorry, im illiterated
    Drunk, happy f***ing labor weekend.
    Everyone stay safe
  • Options
    mosaic, thanks for the advice, I think you figured out the problem. Previously I had been using Microsoft Scanner and Camera Wizard, which doesn't give you an option about bit size. So I tried Microsoft Office Document Scanning, and was able to set the color depth at 24-bit. Here's the latest scan:

Bart Starr 24-bit