Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

World Gold from...The Vatican, Chile and Cuba

1929 Vatican 100 Lira ... This piece has lots and lots of luster, and is very very clean looking. A few copper spots; I am happy that someone has not dipped them off!
Mintage 10,000. 23mm 8.8g

1967 Chile 50 pesos (cinco condores) ... This piece appears at arms length to be even cleaner than the Vatican piece, but it does have some small carbon spots on the obverse. It is my birth year! Much more interesting to me than some common Krugerrand! It's bullion from Chile!
24mm 10.1698g .2943 oz of .900 gold

1916 Cuba 5 pesos ... This piece has some interesting color to it, but has also been cleaned. I did my best with lighting to hide the hairlines. I probably should not have purchased this piece, but I liked what remained of the color.
8.3592g 21.5mm .2419 oz of .900 gold

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like all three.

Even if they weren't gold, I would like those.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    WOW.. Beautiful photos Adam !

I'm hoping to buy a nice Cuban 20 peso in the near future.. MS63'ish. to complete my type set.

Gotta love BIG GOLD coins image
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Very nice!image
    Becky
  • Options
    Dawg144Dawg144 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭
    Great coins and great photos! The Vatican 100L is exceptionally clean.
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I LOVE Cuban gold! It's second only the Japanese gold in my book. Nice frakin' coins! image
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    Very nice, I always like seeing World gold. Thanks for sharing. image

• Options
    Great coins Adam....and super photos...

and thanks for giving sizes and weights.....helps since I am not up on world gold....(but am considering starting!!)

are you able to find most of the smaller world gold at near spot?

Thanks again for sharing!

RAH1959
  • Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    I like the Vatican. image
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Great coins Adam....and super photos...

and thanks for giving sizes and weights.....helps since I am not up on world gold....(but am considering starting!!)

are you able to find most of the smaller world gold at near spot?

RAH1959 >>

Alot of this world gold is available at very close to spot.
    The 1967 Chilean coin is essentially bullion and was purchased at spot.
    The Cuban coin was $250 for a quarter ounce. A small premium.
    The Vatican coin is fairly rare, with a mintage of 10000. It is also in very good shape. It was $475. I suspect it would slab and would be worth more in plastic. But I love my coins raw and would have to think hard about sealing this one up forever in plastic.

I would describe most of my world coins at the "small premium over melt" range of about 10% to 20% over melt if slabbed, even closer to melt if raw.

Soon, I will have a book coming in that will give me many more details on these items. The relative sizes of the photos I provided are exact. The Chilean piece is slightly large than the Vatican piece; the Cuban piece is much smaller than either of the others.

Essentially, I am focusing on world gold coins that are larger than 21mm (US Half-Eagle size).

I don't have any of the truly large ones yet. The largest one I have is a 1959 Viente Pesos piece.

The smallish ones appear to be readily available. The larger ones less so. It's also harder to find a large piece in as good condition as the smaller pieces. This is also why I stick with the smaller pieces.

The Vatican does photograph well. At an arms length, they all look very nice. But under the piercing stare of a camera lens that catches everything, the Vatican still shows very well. The luster grains really came out. The devices look ultra clean! I like this one!

It's so much nicer than my other 'pope coin' (a chinese novelty):

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "God Brings Good Luck to You"?

Then who brings the bad luck?

Edited to say that the depiction of Christ on the crucifix is an indication that the designer of that medal defines "good luck" differently than I do.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    No, no. It's "God Brings A Good Luck To You".

It's one of those cheap chinese knockoffs. Check out the obverse. The 'A' is missing from 'inauguration'. So, I figure they add it to the reverse.

• Options

<< <i>No, no. It's "God Brings A Good Luck To You".

It's one of those cheap chinese knockoffs. Check out the obverse. The 'A' is missing from 'inauguration'. So, I figure they add it to the reverse. >>

image Too funny...

That Vatican was certainly a most excellent pickup!
    Jim