Home Sports Talk

Fantasy Football opinion

perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
Ok guys, I had my draft and picked #12 and #13 I chose Manning and Wayne instead of Romo & Owens- obviously Brady and Moss were gone at that point and Im arguing with several of my buddies about my choice- I know some of you will say I should have gone with a RB but I decided to mix it up this year and wait on the RB position.

I think its a matter of opinion and they will be close as far as fantasy production goes but I decided on going with a consistent guy like Manning and Wayne instead of a 34 year old possible headache.

Any opinions?

Comments

• lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Paul,

Putting aside my obvious liking for the Cowboys, I think I would have went with Romo and TO. They really tore it up last year. Also after another season of being together I would only think they are gonna get better.

Manning will be going into the season freshly recovered from knee surgery. Who knows how he will bouce back or how it will affect his performance?
  • I think you did the right thing...I don't know on Romo, he is not that great of a late 1st or early second, but I would have NOT went running back. You are suppose to go RB by the common rules, but I think it makes no sense to take the 9th best RB, instead of a top 2 WR or QB. Got an early pick, go RB, got a late pick, go best player.......but just not to the point your main RB is Leon Washington.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    Romo/Wayne image
  • I think you made a good choice. Wayne is very tough, and he's going to be more and more respected the more he comes out of harrison's shadow.
    --->imageimageimageimage<---
  • BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    I don't know how your league is set up Paul, so your scoring system may change my opinion, but............

Most leagues are set up in a head to head format. My league is set up for overall points during the season. No head to head, no playoffs, just score the most points.

In my league, Manning and Wayne would be an okay pick. Manning will get his 30 TD's and Wayne will get about 12 over the course of the year, and the points will be there. But I don't like having a QB and WR from the same team in a head to head league. One or two bad games by the Colts and you'll have a hard time winning the game against your opponent that week. Make sense??

The key to winning a fantasy league is picking players who will outscore others at their position by the widest margin, not picking who will score the most points. For example, kickers score 125 points a year, more than most every player in the league, but we don't pick them first. Why? Because 20 kickers will score over 100 points and the difference between first and 20 is not that large. ( I realize that with PPR leagues and yardage factored in, players score more than 125 but I hope you get my example).

Long story short, the right pick would've been to take Owens and Wayne. Aside from another 6 receivers, these two should be far and away better at their position than anyone else.

Manning will have 30 TD's, but there may be another 18 to 20 QB's have 20-25 TD's, so there isn't as big of an advantage at that position.

I'm usually a RB/RB guy too and am seriously considering changing that like you did. But I won't be picking a QB until about round 5 or 6. It worked for me last year, as guys spent early picks on Manning, Brady, Brees, Bulger, Farve, Palmer, Romo, etc., I waited and got Roethlisberger and his 30 td's in round 7.

Good luck in your league. My league drafts at 8:30 this morning. It's only 7:00 a.m. and I've been up an hour already. I'm like a kid on Christmas morning on draft day, it's the only day I can't sleep in.

And, it's the only day of the year I start drinking before noon. image

Should be a fun day.

shawn

• << <i>I don't know how your league is set up Paul, so your scoring system may change my opinion, but............

Most leagues are set up in a head to head format. My league is set up for overall points during the season. No head to head, no playoffs, just score the most points.

In my league, Manning and Wayne would be an okay pick. Manning will get his 30 TD's and Wayne will get about 12 over the course of the year, and the points will be there. But I don't like having a QB and WR from the same team in a head to head league. One or two bad games by the Colts and you'll have a hard time winning the game against your opponent that week. Make sense??

The key to winning a fantasy league is picking players who will outscore others at their position by the widest margin, not picking who will score the most points. For example, kickers score 125 points a year, more than most every player in the league, but we don't pick them first. Why? Because 20 kickers will score over 100 points and the difference between first and 20 is not that large. ( I realize that with PPR leagues and yardage factored in, players score more than 125 but I hope you get my example).

Long story short, the right pick would've been to take Owens and Wayne. Aside from another 6 receivers, these two should be far and away better at their position than anyone else.

Manning will have 30 TD's, but there may be another 18 to 20 QB's have 20-25 TD's, so there isn't as big of an advantage at that position.

I'm usually a RB/RB guy too and am seriously considering changing that like you did. But I won't be picking a QB until about round 5 or 6. It worked for me last year, as guys spent early picks on Manning, Brady, Brees, Bulger, Farve, Palmer, Romo, etc., I waited and got Roethlisberger and his 30 td's in round 7.

Good luck in your league. My league drafts at 8:30 this morning. It's only 7:00 a.m. and I've been up an hour already. I'm like a kid on Christmas morning on draft day, it's the only day I can't sleep in.

And, it's the only day of the year I start drinking before noon. image

Should be a fun day.

shawn >>

good post for fantasy beginners
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    With most leagues needing to draft 3 WR's to start, I think the days of RB/RB are over. With the seasons Moss, Wayne and Owens had and with potential bust out WRs left on the table it's silly to draft lets say a Larry Johnson or a Lynch when Owens is still on the board.

I also agree that the QB position is way overrated in most drafts as Matt Hasselbeck or Cutler may score 95% of the points that a Manning(either) or Romo would. In yahoo public leagues they have devalued a QB's touchdown pass to 4 points while a WR's and a RB's is still 6 points.

The one position that is lost on me is defense, I choose it last every year as to me who can predict how many TDs or turnovers a team will have on D, it seems its about luck and schedule more than the players.

Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    RB's don't carry the same weight as they used to because so many teams are using the RB by committee routine. One guy piles up the yardage and another vultures the TDs. The standouts are guys likes Tomlinson, Peterson (assuming he can stay healthy), Addai, Lynch, Barber and perhaps Portis. The jury is still out on Gore, Grant, Jacobs, and a few others. The killers are guys like McFadden and Bush who are high profile, but will be used for a variety of purposes, but may not see the end zone as often as an owner would like.

In my 12 team keeper league, I had some tough choices. We keep 5 (no more than 1 QB or 2 RB), and after dropping my waste, I still had Carson Palmer, Donovan McNabb, Rudi Johnson, Joseph Addai, Marion Barber, Reggie Wayne, Plaxico Burress, Patrick Crayton, Santonio Holmes and Jason Whiten. Stuck with a late pick due to a division championship last season, I decided to trade off and trade up. Got rid of Johnson (early on), McNabb, Crayton, Holmes, and Whiten and loaded up on earlier picks. It worked out decently and I've got to be happy with a core of Palmer, Addai, Barber, Wayne, and Burress, but I'm going to miss Holmes and Whiten.

The nice thing was that I had multiple picks in rounds 2, 3, 6, 7, and 9 and didn't have a pick left to make in the last 4 rounds. It helped me get two great D/ST's, 2 solid K's and take an early flier on a couple of "sleepers" like Slaton, Meachem, and Carlson after I filled my standard roster and specialty squads.

I'm very excited about an upcoming auction draft for a brand new dynasty league. You keep your entire roster year-to-year and work with a salary cap. This should be a lot of fun as I've never played in a league similar to this before.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All things considered I think the one mistake I feel I made was grabbing two players from the same team, this will hurt my matchup the week they have their bye. I didnt give that a thought and since it is a head to head league I will pay dearly that week! At 12 & 13 I passed on taking a RB because I felt that I could get decent value in the third or fourth rounds, well it didnt play out that way as I grabbed Chad Johnson and Jason Witten in those spots, Johnsons labrum tear wasnt in the picture at the time and I do get 1 point per catch so I couldnt pass up these guys.

I ended up with Selvin Young who I think has a chance to put up very good numbers, Ray Rice, Kevin Smith and Kenney Watson.

Now with Rudi Johnson out of Cincy I may have a servicable back with Watson- he caught a lot of balls last year so he has value.
  • drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭
    I have trouble deciding who is going to be the better back out of Kenny Watson and Chris Perry, I think Perry will be.

The same goes for Ricky Williams and Ronnie Brown. Brown was looking up to his potential prior to his injury last year, but when Ricky is focused on football he is a great back.
  • Perkdog,

your backs are rather weak but keep an eye out on the free agent wire. Every year there seems to be a guy or 2 that you can pick up to help your team

Last year i picked up Ryan Grant and he helped carry me thru the playoffs

btw, last year i had Romo and T.O and was very happy with the combination so hopefully you'll do good with Manning and Wayne

Dave
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Perkdog,

your backs are rather weak but keep an eye out on the free agent wire. Every year there seems to be a guy or 2 that you can pick up to help your team

Last year i picked up Ryan Grant and he helped carry me thru the playoffs

btw, last year i had Romo and T.O and was very happy with the combination so hopefully you'll do good with Manning and Wayne

Dave >>

Dave I think I went through all of Green Bays backs last year and fortunately Grant was the last one I grabbed! The free agent wire is HUGE and it always looks ugly at the start of the season but with a little luck you can land a decent back. I was liking Kevin Smith but talk in Detroit is they might give Rudi Johnson a tryout which will blow up my plan with him.
  • BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    My super sleeper alert:

Keep an eye out on Tim Hightower with Arizona.

Wisenhunt has never been a big fan of Edge, who's into his 30's now.

I think Hightower gets the goal line carries immediately, and may turn out to be a big surprise.

JMO.

shawn